Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:43 AM

13 posts, read 21,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No tire in the world is going to let you slow down by braking if there is ice (not snow) on a steep enough hill.
Yup--that's been one of my biggest concerns about bad weather here: Finding myself rolling down an icy hill. I thought the area I'm from was hilly, but it has gently rolling hills, not steep ones. Are there ever times when the city doesn't flag a dangerous hill? Or is it usually pretty good about noting the bad spots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:47 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apples2applesdust2dust View Post
Yup--that's been one of my biggest concerns about bad weather here: Finding myself rolling down an icy hill. I thought the area I'm from was hilly, but it has gently rolling hills, not steep ones. Are there ever times when the city doesn't flag a dangerous hill? Or is it usually pretty good about noting the bad spots?
Sometimes, nobody notices until it is too late.

https://www.google.com/#q=youtube+pittsburgh+ice+hill

Old 10-14-2013, 10:54 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Other cities "flag" dangerous spots? I'm not trying to be a goof ball here, I am genuinely curious. Is it posted on a website or something?

I have never seen that here, anywhere (at least in person).

Old 10-14-2013, 10:58 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Other cities "flag" dangerous spots? I'm not trying to be a goof ball here, I am genuinely curious. Is it posted on a website or something?

I have never seen that here, anywhere (at least in person).

I've never heard the term "flagging" or seen a "flag". I've seen barricades across roads fairly often, but not as much as when the city was more obviously broke.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:45 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
There is no reason to use snow tires if you have a front wheel drive car and live in the city. There are plenty of reasons to take transit if you live in Squirrel Hill regardless of snow, but it is especially nice to take the bus when the weather is bad because there is an increased risk of getting crashed into. Also, if the snow happens to fall at 4:30 or something, it will slow things down tremendously. If you were on the bus, you can get out and walk home more quickly than anybody driving.
Bears repeating.

Just have a good set of all season tires and remember the adage, "If you can't get there with front wheel drive then you have no business going."

Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
and remember the adage, "If you can't get there with front wheel drive then you have no business going."
Eh. Good adage if you're unemployed, I suppose.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:58 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Eh. Good adage if you're unemployed, I suppose.
I tried to get to my office on the third floor in my front wheel drive car. It didn't work and now I'm unemployed. God damn you, internet.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:44 PM

13 posts, read 21,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I've never heard the term "flagging" or seen a "flag". I've seen barricades across roads fairly often, but not as much as when the city was more obviously broke.

I just meant putting up barricades--sorry for the confusion.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:05 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
All good advice already, but I just wanted to point out that Tire Rack is trying to get you to buy the most expensive winter treads they sell. $400 for two? Unless they are recommending four tires (which actually is best for a front drive car), then $400 is twice what they should be. And you don't really need wheels....it's just more convenient. You can swap your summer and winter tires on the same rims no problem. Accord tire sizes aren't in the over $100 category for a winter tread you'll only use for less that 1/2 the year. You can find them in the $80 each range.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 10-14-2013, 07:31 PM

10 posts, read 16,362 times
Big point here, you are from the south east. Do you have any experience driving in snow? If not I suggest you go with the snow tires.

I grew up driving in the upper Midwest (LOTS of snow 7 months of the year) and I have to say, people here have no idea how to drive in snow. Even a few inches of snow, snow tires will help you be a better defensive driver, which is essential.

I am a firm believer in the idea that the amount of snow doesn't matter as much as how a city handles the snow, and how other drivers drive in that snow. Pittsburgh handles snow badly and people drive a bit mad in it. If this is your first winter, take any advantage you can get to become a good defensive snow driver. Get the tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh