Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 04:07 AM

39 posts, read 119,011 times

Advertisements

I own a home in Pittsburgh but currently live in Guam. I've searched the Pittsburgh water and sewer authority homepage and cannot seem to find where to elect to get the sewer line insurance.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 AM

47 posts, read 75,653 times
I think the Pittsburgh water authority stopped selling it (they were automatically signing people up or something and someone brought them to court). I get the trifecta (gas/water/sewage) through new dominion. Just do a google search for them and sewer insurance.. They just tack it on my duq light bill every month.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 AM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,225,751 times
Why do you want that? Waste of money if you ask me and most of it is probably a scam. Probably one of those things you would need to read volumes of fine print.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 AM

47 posts, read 75,653 times
There definitely is some fine print, but I've had a couple co-workers take advantage of it for gas and sewage repair and it paid for itself as these things are usually at least 2-3K to fix. That being said, these things are not supposed to break often (although there is a lot of old houses around here), so it's just like any other insurance. You are playing the odds.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 AM

16 posts, read 37,688 times
I saw a neighbor go through that expense and got this insurance. Can save you thousands!

I live in Penn Hills but buy it through Dominion and the charge is on my Duquesne light bill...

https://www.dom.com/products/home-re...eplacement.jsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Why do you want that? Waste of money if you ask me and most of it is probably a scam. Probably one of those things you would need to read volumes of fine print.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,595,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I would disagree with you if not for the fact that I gained some first hand experience this week that supports your statement.

Lawyers and politicians get a bad rap compared to what an insurance company deserves. If you want to see someone who will readily stab you in the back when you are at your most financially and emotionally vulnerable, especially after you've compensated them handsomely for what amounts to a false sense of security, visit your insurance agent.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 PM

480 posts, read 615,532 times
I had a main sewer clog done by a third party line protector, he was there all day. Would've cost us thousands I'm sure.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:05 AM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,225,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
I had a main sewer clog done by a third party line protector, he was there all day. Would've cost us thousands I'm sure.
Thousands for a day? How many were working on it? Most clogs can be fixed with a snake and a cutter on the end. I wouldn't bother with such a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh