Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 02:28 PM

236 posts, read 598,213 times

Advertisements

Doing some research on what company offers the best rate in for Homeowners and Auto insurance in the Pittsburgh area. What companies offer the best rate, I currently have Geico/Travellers for home and auto but I want to shop around.

Please share your experience and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 05:03 PM

22,871 posts, read 48,213,616 times
We have been happy with Erie Insurance.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,772,433 times
Erie's usually good. I have Travelers for auto right now and still Erie on my house just due to some weird circumstances; both companies seem fine to me. (I probably should have switched the house over to Travelers as well at one point, we were waiting on a new formula for underwriting, then I missed my window because in underwriting they question things like how old the roof is, and that trips up now since it's over 25 years.) Erie got expensive for me for auto for some reason several years ago and I switched. It seemed more to do with other companies getting more aggressive with rate classification while Erie did not. (Wasn't anything I did; my record is clean.) But by now they may have reformulated, and for some people they remained still among the cheapest all along.

I never talk to the companies directly; I've only had to deal with my agent (same agent forever; they write for both companies) who is good. Should we discuss specific insurance agencies?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:29 AM

34 posts, read 81,830 times
Had state farm for 20 years but switched everything to travellers. State farm would not answer phone calls and just kept raising rates.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 PM

63 posts, read 107,607 times
In the process of moving to Pittsburgh area and having to get my first car..

Are Travelers and Erie cheaper than national companies like Geico and Progressive?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:18 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,772,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisco1844 View Post
In the process of moving to Pittsburgh area and having to get my first car..

Are Travelers and Erie cheaper than national companies like Geico and Progressive?
They have always been cheaper for me, yes. Geico, Progressive, Nationwide, these guys have never even been competitive with my other rates. Allstate and State Farm have sometimes been nearly the same, which obviously isn't enough to get me to bother switching. That's about all the ones I know for sure that I've checked now and then. Whether it will hold true for your specific scenarios is not really accurately predictable, as there are always things that can trip up such generalizing. It's worth it to get some quotes I'd say. A bunch of things will affect your rating for how your rates will be determined: age, when you were first licensed, etc will affect your liability rates, and the age and type of the car will affect any collision and comprehensive (theft/other loss) coverage.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:26 PM

63 posts, read 107,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
They have always been cheaper for me, yes. Geico, Progressive, Nationwide, these guys have never even been competitive with my other rates.
Just tried Progressive and Travelers. Almost the same.
Will try others.

Eerie did not have Toyota listed as a brand.. so I could not even get a quote. Found that very strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh