Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 04:04 PM

16 posts, read 41,534 times

Advertisements

I live in Churchill with Wilkins-Penn Joint Water Authority (WPJWA) as water company, Duquesne Light for electicity, and People's gas for gas.

I read on the news that Pittsburgh water authority (PWSA) have a default opt-in Insurance for the Water and Sewer line for $5..
how about for those with WPJWA, does anyone know?

Is there a good company that will provide this type of insurance?
I just don't want to get caught without coverage when/if we (crossing finger) ever need this kind of service in our house as this might cost a lot to fix.

I heard Dominion provide these insurances, but is there any other that is better?

Thanks in advance and.. Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 06:36 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Generally speaking that insurance is a scam, but to each their own. If you want to know where every line is call your borough and tell them you want a "One Call". They can tell you if you need to call to get that. I believe the boro will come out and order if for you? I have had about 3 one calls at my home just because I have done so much work. They will mark everything underground.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Sorry I can't give a definitive answer to the questions asked in the opening post. FWIW, the following might help some...

There were a few pages of discussion about it here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...insurance.html and Dominion's name was mentioned several times.

Coincidentally, the recent resignation of the head of Pittsburgh's Water and Sewer Authority was brought about by his connection with several of these insurance firms: Motion floated to fire water chief before he quit

Quote:
If you want to know where every line is call your borough and tell them you want a "One Call". They can tell you if you need to call to get that. I believe the boro will come out and order if for you? I have had about 3 one calls at my home just because I have done so much work. They will mark everything underground.
That wasn't really what the OP asked about, but as long as the subject is open, here's the website for the PA One Call System:
Pennsylvania One Call System

My personal experience--don't bet the ranch on them marking everything, or everything they mark being correct. Just sayin...

Old 12-23-2010, 08:51 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Coincidentally, the recent resignation of the head of Pittsburgh's Water and Sewer Authority was brought about by his connection with several of these insurance firms: Motion floated to fire water chief before he quit
Thanks for the link to the old thread and the follow up story. I thought something smelled a little odd about the mandatory insurance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
That wasn't really what the OP asked about, but as long as the subject is open, here's the website for the PA One Call System:
Pennsylvania One Call System

My personal experience--don't bet the ranch on them marking everything, or everything they mark being correct. Just sayin...
You can now call 811, it's a free service to homeowners digging on their own property but if you're digging on someone else's they will want a $50 annual membership fee. The One Call system does not mark lines themselves, they tell the member facility owners that someone's digging and then the facility owners (the individual utilities) are responsible for sending someone out to actually locate the lines and to mark them with the appropriate standard colors.

Line locating is FAR from an exact science, often the as-built drawings are left for years later or never, plastic lines were most commonly put in without a locating tape, or even if they have a little metal tape that's not brought to the surface for someone to clamp on to. However it is a necessary precursor to digging - not only is it the law, but carrying out your responsibilities moves responsibility for an oops often to someone else, plus any information is usually better than nothing.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:15 PM

16 posts, read 41,534 times
Thanks for the One Call info!

I will call my home insurance agent to see if they have coverage for these..

Old 01-03-2011, 10:23 AM

6 posts, read 18,425 times
It's not a scam, I would've loved to have coverage on this for $5 or $10 per month. We always laughed at the insurance before, but we're the ones crying now. We just had our line break (our house is 41 years old), it's an old cast iron tube broken from some old tree roots. Cost to repair $6,000. Homeowners does not cover it because it is not within the walls of the home, it connects the home to the street sewer. Not many homeowners policies will cover it from what I've heard.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:01 PM

366 posts, read 943,943 times
Just received a call from PWSA stating their $5/month line insurance program has been discontinued as of today (March 18). Looks like I will be looking for a new provider.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:04 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Water authority ends controversial line warranty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh