Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 01:10 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,132,973 times

Advertisements

Jorleigh you might want to look at Wilkensburg--definitely has some problems, but good housing stock, affordable, on the East Side of Pittsburgh, and definitely clear signs of renewable and rehab from locals.

One part of the township is already well developed and the tree-lined streets beautiful, with some old Victorians and cottages, back-street and front street parking and in walking distance to shopping. The other side of Wilkensburg is definitely more of a challenge but you can pick up a 3-4 bedroom for around $50-70,000.

Just a thought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 08:36 PM

148 posts, read 521,051 times
On the road, I just moved out of Pgh the crafton area last week to Weirton West Virginia. Let me tell you this, Weirton is so nice just like what I grew up in the Greenfield and south side area but more peacful with no crimes really.

Dan where did you choose to live. Let me say Oakmont is the way to go cause it is old towns like the Mexican War streets but no crime in oakmont also it has yards with some acrage in certain spots. My aunt moved to Oakmont on Pennslyvania Ave. Her house is a very old home built in 1800's early 1900's.

Valt: let me recomend you something about Mexican War Streets. I would not want my 2yr standing on the streets there or grow up there at all. Check out Linclon Place which is near West Mifflin or South Side. It is also near Kennywood Amusement Park as well. For a young child I would want a very good area with low crimes. Stay out of North side really. Squirel Hill and Greenfield is nice as well too. many parks there too.

good luck all. The reason I moved out of Pgh is taxes and people really. I grew up in South Side, Greenfield, Linclon Place and Crafton was my last spot before West Virginia.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:14 AM

Angellewis, thanks for the information. When I'm in Pittsburgh (just a 10-day away) I did intend driving down to West Virginia to check out some towns within driving distance to the City.

Hope you're enjoy it down yonder

Old 11-06-2006, 08:40 AM

I am not sure how familiar you are with Pa and Wv. But if you take 22 west towards Wv it will take you to weirton Wv. When you take the exit, follow the lights you will see Krogers on your right, make a left across the street from Krogers, follow the steep hill you will find tons of beautiful homes that are not that old, built in the 50's. That is where our home is up that way on GlenCairn Rd.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:07 AM

56 posts, read 383,963 times
Arrow Not Yet...

Angellewis, our house hasn't sold yet, so we are still enjoying the scenic beauty of southwest Colorado. We plan to rent for 6 months to a year after we move to Pittsburgh, so that we can make a more informed purchase decision. We're tired of moving and want to try to pick a place that we'll both be happy with.

When we were in Crafton last spring, we found a wonderful house which is still for sale. It was on a corner on Hawthorne Street, right across from a church. The police chief's sister lived next door and all of the neighbors seemed very friendly. Even a wooded, abandoned trolley right-of-way a block away for walking the dogs.

I'm curious as to your opinion of Crafton...I know taxes are high, but if we could bear that, what else is good or bad about the town? Thanks in advance...

Dan

Old 11-06-2006, 09:27 AM

Crafton is a beautiful old victorian town, wonderful to live in too. If the taxes were not high I would stay there for a long time. I hear you about being tired of moving. We moved once a year for 6 yrs and this move we are done for a long time until SugarCreek Ohio.

Crafton is a very nice area with nice people. You will get some kids that just don't care but nothing like the town in Pgh. I really hope you like Crafton if you decide to live there. Also what is nice about Crafton is that when you take Steuben/rt 60 towards Robinson Twnshp it turns to Rt 22 West that will take you to West Virginia, Steubenville Ohio. Weirton is right off of 22 and that is where we live as well too. My husband's father is retired as well and he choosed this town to get away from taxes.

Good Luck.

We lived on Division street for almost a year.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:46 PM

56 posts, read 383,963 times
Arrow Weirton

Strange coincidence, but our last day in Pittsburgh we had some time before our flight left so we drove west and went through Weirton. We got some great pictures of the old, rusted, I'm-not-sure-what, right in the heart of the city. We were afraid that all of the industry had closed down and that the town was dying, but from your description I think we were wrong! Good luck with Weirton and wish us luck with our house sale...

Dan

Old 11-06-2006, 06:56 PM

Oh thank you, really the town is not all that bad really. Just over the bridge is Steubenville Ohio and many shoppings there also Wheeling is just down the street too.

Good luck with your home sale and hope it sells soon for you and your wife to enjoy life long retirement.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:31 PM

67 posts, read 221,370 times
Default Lawerenceville Take Away from Day Trip

Hi Dan, Ontheroad and angellewis:

I did make it down for the day aboard Jetblue from Burlington VT and found myself in Lawerenceville at a very hip coffee shop. My flight was just $79 - for those Burghers who want to make the reverse commute.

In Lawerenceville, it seemed like this whole area of the east side is set for the type of thing Dan had mentioned about Mexican War Streets. The block I was on had antique stores artist galleries in addition to the coffee shop.

I imagine it would be fun to take this discussion to the next level and start driving around buying and selling real estate. Of course, I would need a cadillac and a bit of cash to get started.

In the meantime, I plan to come back in December with the wife and check out squirrel hill, greenfield - I need to find Linclon Place that angellewis mentioned. I did go to Regent Square- which seemed nice for families, but a bit too far from downtown (?)

Old 11-12-2006, 01:42 PM

Hi Valt,

Glad you get down to P'burgh and found Lawrenceville. I like it some, but really, really need more trees I do have two friends that own a shop on the more developed street (near that cafe; can't think of the name) and it seems as if the area is really picking up.

Regents Square may be more hip, in the underbelly, than on the surface. My 35 daughter and SIL lived within walking distance and now just a little beyond, and they have some rather "with it" friends. I suppose it is about 15-20 minutes to the real downtown by car. I did it by bus but didn't clock it. I might do that this time.

I'm heading out on Wednesday, and will take a good comb to see what I found that may appeal to an older hip. and report back!

Take care, all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh