Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 AM

12 posts, read 27,091 times

Advertisements

So are any local (Pittsburgh) companies hiring at all? I graduated from a Tier 1 university, work exceptionally hard, and have proven success in Project Management for a multinational corporation.

I will consider any position, with any company large or small, I simply want to get back to work and being productive. If anyone is willing to suggest a company, or offer any advice that would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:28 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
yes, lots of people are hiring. of course, lots of people are looking too.

when i was looking for work in the spring/early summer (i have lots of clerical experience but no degree) i got a bunch of interviews and 2 were at upmc. so i guess upmc is a good option if you just want to find something fast. they employe a bazillion people.

in general just look at the upmc site, local university and large business sites, craigslist, dewey & kaye jobswatch (which is all nonprofit jobs), local papers, etc and apply for EVERYTHING you qualify for. if there's a company you are particularly interested in but they don't have any jobs listed, send them a resume to keep on file, it can't hurt. i had at least a 10 to 1 ratio of applications to interviews.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:31 AM

346 posts, read 537,341 times
UPMC
BNY MELLON
PNC
UNIV OF PITT
CARNEGIE MELLON

for starters

Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 AM

142 posts, read 365,629 times
Try indeed.com, I used it when I was unemployed. It's kind of an all-in-one job search site. Very useful.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:00 AM

12 posts, read 27,091 times
Thank you all for your advice. I have been using Job Search Made Simple | Simply Hired.

Additionally, I have applied at Siemens about 20 times and have not even received a call back. I swear, when I had a job, recuriters called me every month.. Now, nope they are nowhere to be found, doesn't that seem weird?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:17 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softyhere View Post
Thank you all for your advice. I have been using Job Search Made Simple | Simply Hired.

Additionally, I have applied at Siemens about 20 times and have not even received a call back. I swear, when I had a job, recuriters called me every month.. Now, nope they are nowhere to be found, doesn't that seem weird?

Never leave a job unless you have another one lined up. It's tough out there.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:34 PM

645 posts, read 1,540,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softyhere View Post
Additionally, I have applied at Siemens about 20 times and have not even received a call back.
The mill stone turns slowly, but grinds exceedingly fine... How long has it been since you applied on-line may I ask? Our experience with Siemens during the hiring process is if you are qualified for the position, an initial call will come, albeit seemingly slow. They are in fact earnestly hiring, and it's a nice place to work, good benefits, and potential to rapidly advance commensurate with performance.

Good luck with your search, and good luck with Siemens!

Old 11-23-2010, 05:57 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,914 times
Check out the natural gas industry. EQT, Williams, Dominion, etc.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:11 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,421 times
Pittsburgh is home to eight Fortune 500 companies and dozens of other large corporations. Do some research (read: visit Wikipedia) and visit each company's website. Most, if not all, have job postings in the HR portion of their corporate website.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:12 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Never leave a job unless you have another one lined up. It's tough out there.
Except, of course, when your current job and living environment are detrimentally impacting your health. I keep getting told "wait until things get better." We've been in this recession for how long now with no signs of revival?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh