Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,523 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with the local moving companies?

Friendly Movers
Dudes who move
3b Helpers
Steel City Movers
etc?

Looking for a reasonable price, but dont want to hire someone terrible. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 07:06 PM

781 posts, read 1,621,248 times
We used Don Farr and they were very professional.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:19 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,053,532 times
We used Dorr's and they were inexpensive and experienced.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:18 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,578,225 times
Dudes who move did a great job for us 3 years ago for little money... at the time you needed to supply your own truck. We rented a large uhaul.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:20 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,689,236 times
Just since it was mentioned above, let me add my anecdote that I'd never use Don Farr again. I think they sent a bunch of worthless day laborers for our office move. If they weren't temps or day laborers, they were certainly unprofessional just the same. It was cheap tho, woo. Boss had used them before and thought them ok. Win some, lose some I guess.

You might also check Two Men and a Truck, have heard good recs for them. I'm not sure who is cheap though, maybe they aren't.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,053,532 times
We've also used Two Men and a Truck, but we were able to get a four-man crew from Dorr's for the same hourly price. Obviously four men can do more than two men in a given hour, and I think it is also safer for your stuff to have more guys.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:31 AM

31 posts, read 96,829 times
Used Dorr's last year, and will be using them again this year. They did a great job for us.

-C

Old 04-15-2011, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,523 times
Thanks for replies. Don Farr gave me a very pricey estimate.

Glad to hear good things about Dudes Who Move, they seem to be reasonably priced. After research, it looks like it is cheaper to rent the truck separately than it is to find a moving service that provides it.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:49 PM

781 posts, read 1,621,248 times
I have no vested interest in Don Farr! We really were amazed at how nice the group we got were. I guess we got lucky. They did underestimate how big of a truck we needed even though I kept telling them we needed a huge one. They had to send back ups, but it got done.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 PM

2,582 posts, read 2,697,382 times
Don Farr tends to be expensive because they can brag about how they move the Steelers equipment regularly. They tend to treat them well, but not so much your every day family. They tried to pressure me to buy, and I had questions, but I felt so uncomfortable asking anything. The guy was in a hurry to leave and was very disinterested in communicating with me. I said nothing and was so turned off that I did not want to deal with provoking a "salesperson" to waste my own breath, our time, and possibly my money for poor service. Of course, this would've been about 6 years ago, but does not sound like things have changed much.

Calfo Red Line Moving & Storage is the one I went with a long time ago, and the price was reasonable and on target, and the service was great. One of the guys made a mistake in moving one of the items because of a blunder, but they did not give any real trouble. They were 5 young college aged looking students who looked like they needed/wanted work and were just trying to do a good job, and then two older guys to help out with the carrying of the equipment and moving it to the new locale.

I noticed there are a few bad reviews from http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/review/8597299, and now that I think about it, I did have to pay cash, but they did let me know beforehand, and I just didn't know. Apparently, cash or certified check is standard practice for some moving companies. I could see this going either way. Just try to work with these people early and ask questions, lots of questions about moving items and such. If you miss big specifics, your estimate will be way off, with any company pretty much.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...07932172564885 They also have a FB page.

Last edited by chessimprov; 04-17-2011 at 08:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: