Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:54 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,191,292 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Dan, for your response and quick, too

It is somewhat the remoteness and lack of accessibility that I find difficult here in northern NM (I'm in Taos) and probably like your wife need and want more stimulation of what a city offers as compared to the sober, and beautiful mountain(s) that surround me.

When I go to Pittsburgh in November, I'll rent a car and also drive around the outskirts, but probably south to West Viriginia (Morgantown area) to see what it's like as compared to a city of 300,000 people but still close enough to my grand-children for a quick visit.

I'll drop by when I return and give you and others an update. I have, however, been to and in Pittsburgh about a dozen times, just for 3-5 day visits. I don't find that I have much in common with my peer group, and that was one of the discouraging issues of considering a move.
It is a very family-centric city, and newcomers while not unwelcome are not easily absorbed.

It does have many wonderful attributes--waterways, sufficient culture, usual shopping opportunities, better than average eateries, very good library system, and of course my daughter

Wishing us luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 07:37 PM

67 posts, read 221,732 times
Cool Pittsburgh vs Chicago - best place to live?

We first started thinking about Pittsburgh because we wanted to buy a house in a city. Burlington, VT as small and great a city as it is, is not affordable - 250 doesn't buy a house.

During the 4th of July weekend we went to Pittsburgh and did the round of neighboorhoods with my wife liking the south side and me the more shady spots in Shadyside.

Something was missing downtown, she said, so since then we have visited Columbus, Indianopolis, Chicago and Cleveland as well as the Lehigh Valley in PA - all other value destinations - except Chicago of course.

After all that - ranked across ten important life affirming variables - Pittsburgh tied Chicago as the BEST place to live.

That's on paper.

Any further thoughts on helping us make the decision?

The things that brought us to VT is the hip lifestyle - I work alone a lot and need acces to coffee shops and students with blue, pink or green hair for inspiration. The things driving us away, is the cost of housing and my wife needs to work in a larger hospital for her training. Both Pittsburgh and VT are very kid friendly, which is important - not sure about Chicago.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:24 PM

Valt, no much in the cafe scene in Pittsburgh except the Southside--although you are right, fewer trees. I did, however, manage to get over to the Southside on most of my visits from the East Side (Shadyside in in the East) and get my fill of internet cafe, loud music, smoky tables and yes, very good coffee.

I understand that the hospital and medical system is outstanding in Pittsburgh, and among its top 5 industries. I spent about 35 years in the medical field, myself, and if I were looking for work, Pittsburgh would be on the list for good medical schools.

As I mentioned to Dan, I'll be looking with different eyes on my next visit, November 15.

Chicago, now that's an interesting place!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Cafes

Thanks ontheroad -

I plan to take the jetblue from Burlington into town with my back pack for the day and check it out again. I carry my office on my back, and I want to see how productive I can be in Pittsburgh. I know the wife is all set with the medical stuff- it is me I am worried about.

Maybe now with the young mayor there will be a second wave of like minded folk moving in. I plan to issue a full report from on the ground.

John Valt

Old 10-24-2006, 12:36 PM

With office on back perhaps you should take the bus into town; get off in Oakland (they have a good cafe right on the corner, and a S*bucks on the other, relax, and then take the inner-city bus to the Southside!

Enjoy and we'll both report back!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:06 PM

Default more on the Southside

Valt--I wasn't certain when you're headed to Pittsburgh and since my daughter just called, I thought I'd send you the name of my fav cafe in the Southside -- Beehive (on Carson, around 13th Street) and also let you know about the Southside Works (at the end of Carson). Apparently it is a living/working development that is getting good marks.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:44 PM

Default "Hip"sBurgh

Thanks for the tip ontheroad -

I am shooting for 1st or 2nd week in November. There is a free party on Thursday November 9th at the Shadow Lounge sponsored by the "cool space locator" people.

I would say that a part of my decision -- and it is starting to gain some weight -- is how much the place might need me. In Burlington, there are a ton of talented people here vying for just a few hip spots.

I think "Hip"sBurgh may be more spread out and offer my chances to find your dream.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:49 PM

Well, Valt, we may overlap. I shall arrive on the 15th.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 8,527 times
what about mckeesport? I want to be on the eastern side of pittsburgh as i have family more east near greensburg, but want within 30 minutes or so of downtown because of my job....somewhere inexpensive, too...i keep hearing bad things about mckeesport but there are some nice places cheap there...but why that cheap?

Old 11-05-2006, 11:02 AM

15,655 posts, read 26,408,823 times
According to a zip code database I use, the McKeesport zip is 15132. The housing is cheaper, because the average income is lower, at $23,971. There were no new homes built in 2003 or 2004 -- data from the site I used doesn't list 2005.

This is also an old steel mill area, and those areas were hardest hit. According to the Mckeesport city website, there are still lots of old mill land ready for redevelopment, so I would guess there is not a lot of employment or businesses being built up there.

With that sort of development void going on, you can expect, unfortunately, drugs and gangs to take hold. With those come all the other problems of crime. I haven't located crime stats for the area.

All that being said -- I'm sure you can find nicer areas in McKeesport. No matter where you go there is almost always a bad side of town and a good side of town. Here where I live in Oakland, CA, it's literally block to block.

That's why, if you can go there -- you can check at the local police station. They probably have crime stats by area. You will be able to see where you want to avoid. We did that when we bought our house -- it was nice to see what the cops were called for in our area.

Hope that helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh