Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 06:17 AM

87 posts, read 140,817 times

Advertisements

Competitors in the Marcellus and Utica Shale Game do not exist as they would in other businesses, look at South point in Washington County. The players are attracted to this locale by the presence of others with the same interest AKA Range Resources. Having the Big 3 in one Tower or 3 seperate Towers is as smart as National Steel and USS being in the city with Alcoa and Rockwell during Pittsburgh's Zenith. I think it is a viable option in a different economy.

Food For Thought

Thinking Outside The Box Is Always Interesting and Exciting !!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 06:32 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,718,441 times
PGHPA611, I just wanted to say I really admire your idealism and optimism! It's quite refreshing as a fellow person who likes to think "outside the box" on ways to truly reinvigorate the city we love. With that being said I don't like the idea of a new skyscraper being built on the Civic Arena site for the simple fact that due to the hill there any building that could marginally be considered a "skyscraper" would dwarf the U.S. Steel Tower and make the skyline, which currently has a pretty good balance and symmetry, look very skewed towards the east.

I would also like to see the Frank & Seder Building preserved---not demolished---for Oxford Development's impending project, even though they seem to prefer razing the historic structure in favor of another tower.

Take a look at this picture:

This is what the skyline will look like, roughly, once PNC's new headquarters is complete in a couple of years (obviously the building won't be glowing! LOL!). The only place I'd really like to see a super-tall built so as not to ruin the nice balance in our skyline views would be midway between PPG Place (the castle-looking building towards the left) and the new PNC HQ. If we wanted to build a building that would be taller than the U.S. Steel Building (or UPMC Building as I now hear fellow transplants calling it) and rival Philadelphia's Comcast Tower I feel as if building it somewhere in front of the K&L Gates Building (near the ReedSmith Building) would be the best locale.

Otherwise there are still plenty of surface parking lots Downtown that I'd like to see redeveloped FIRST before considering building vertically on the Civic Arena site, which I think would be more appropriate for mid-scale (4-6-story) development with a heavy slant towards residential.

We also need to be careful that we don't "overbuild" towers Downtown, which would lead to a high vacancy rate. Right now there is a borderline crisis for companies to find available Class-A (high-class) office space Downtown, but there are other antiquated and outdated buildings with Class-B and Class-C space that can't secure tenants. I'd like to see some more of that space converted to Class-A space and residential usage before we go on a tower-building spree just for the heck of it. We don't yet know what sort of vacancies, if any, PNC's new tower will create in its many other Downtown buildings. I firmly believe that even with PNC's new tower there is still enough demand for one more tower Downtown, but I'm not certain about two right now.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,238,709 times
A building in this rendering between PPG Place and the new PNC Tower would basically put it in Market Square. The Gardens by Millcraft will actually sit between PPG and PNC, but will hardly be visible from this view because it will sit behind the trio of early "skyscrapers' of the 1800s along Fourth Avenue.
I suppose a new tower could be buillt on the northern side of Forbes, west of Wood. However, one building owner already had a hissy fit over the modest 18 story office building of the Gardens, claiming it "too tall" for Market Square. Anyway, I think a good space for a new tallest at the old Saks location, which is virtually the center of Downtown. This would be an awesome locale for a parking, office and residential property. The URA has already acquired the property and are highly focusing on a new garage. However, this project seems like is gaining momentum for something larger. A sixty story building that tops out around 900 feet would look great in this area adjacent to Mellon Square.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SF...ca_full_CA.jpg
Something along the lines of the Transamerica Building would look great and also serve the purpose when there is a small footprint but meets the need by going vertically in style when there is limited space street side.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 08-26-2012 at 10:49 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 01:59 AM

A super tower, one over 1000 feet could be built at The Steel Plaza site. The site was constructed with one in mind and would compliment the skyline easily. Ofcourse the Grant Street address would be highly sought after by many including energy companies for a Pittsburgh headquarters.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:18 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,556,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHPA611 View Post
A super tower, one over 1000 feet could be built at The Steel Plaza site. The site was constructed with one in mind and would compliment the skyline easily. Ofcourse the Grant Street address would be highly sought after by many including energy companies for a Pittsburgh headquarters.
When you say The Steel Plaza site, what are you referring to exactly?

Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 AM

747 posts, read 1,233,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
When you say The Steel Plaza site, what are you referring to exactly?
The mellon client service center was built on the Steel Plaza site. I think he's referring to the Mellon Green site. BNY Mellon will hold onto this site for future use if needed. I would prefer the parking lot across from the city county building for a new supertall. That parcell is huge and can accomodate a new supertall.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,150,526 times
I agree about the court house location, but I highly doubt it will be a super tall.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:31 AM

I think a Super Tall Tower of 1000 feet is in Pittsburgh's near future. As potential sites in The Golden Triangle become more difficult to acquire the need to go vertical becomes more of a necessity. Though I have great respect for Jim Rohr as Pittsburgh's Premiere Corporate Citizen I am shocked that he has limited his tower to 33 stories and approximately 600 feet. As PNC continues to grow the need for more space will prevent itself. As you may know PNC recently bought the old Lord and Taylor Building as well. I can't say enough about Jim Rohr, his impact on Pittsburgh has been amazing. Six hundred and Forty Eight Feet would place The Tower at PNC Plaza as the third tallest building in the city behind UPMC and BNY/Mellon. I truly be it is a mis-opportunity !!!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:18 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,057,886 times
I think PNC is more concerned about "green" accolades than height rankings.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:05 PM

FNB has taken the site with a building of some magnitude but little if any arcgitectural interest. The frst concept gave more interest than the agreed upon design. Pittsburgh needs another wow factor in office tower design to carry us into the next decade. Keeping my fingers crossed for more development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh