Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,408,673 times

Advertisements

Ravenstahl: Mellon Arena must come down for redevelopment

Saw this is today's Gazette. I know the mayor isn't all that popular, but in my opinion he is right about this. At a time when downtown has a good shot at a rebirth, even in these rough economic times for RE and construction, the area where the Arena is, is not only prime but could also be vital in, as the mayor points out, reconnecting the Hill District with downtown.

So, do you agree with the mayor, or with those that think the Arena should be preserved? If you think it should be saved, with what use? If you think that it should go, how do you see that 28 acre area developing? Is there a use that would spurn other development up into the Hill, that could in time connect downtown with Oakland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:31 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,051,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
So, do you agree with the mayor, or with those that think the Arena should be preserved?
My standard answer is that if someone comes up with a sustainable plan for repurposing the Arena that doesn't interfere with redeveloping that general area, then great. I haven't really seen such a plan yet.

Quote:
If you think that it should go, how do you see that 28 acre area developing? Is there a use that would spurn other development up into the Hill, that could in time connect downtown with Oakland?
I'd like to see a mix of housing, retail, and public space, maybe with more of a hip entertainment and nightlife vibe than anything currently in Downtown and Oakland.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
My standard answer is that if someone comes up with a sustainable plan for repurposing the Arena that doesn't interfere with redeveloping that general area, then great. I haven't really seen such a plan yet.

I'd like to see a mix of housing, retail, and public space, maybe with more of a hip entertainment and nightlife vibe than anything currently in Downtown and Oakland.
Roughly, what is the current commercial occupancy rate downtown? Do you think a new skyscraper could find tenants?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:48 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,687,398 times
Quote:
Roughly, what is the current commercial occupancy rate downtown? Do you think a new skyscraper could find tenants?
Commercial is good occupancy as I recall but not super tight right now. Plus there are a few weird things that could still affect that, like the empty former state office building. (Who knows what that will be used for, has not been fully determined yet.) It's residential that has the 99% occupancy rate around here.

I think they should take the building out and leave the roof. They could still connect the streets. ;-)

Old 04-12-2010, 11:59 AM

809 posts, read 2,412,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It's residential that has the 99% occupancy rate
That's one thing I WOULD like to see more of. More residential downtown would be great for revitalizing many of the abandoned ground-level storefronts.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 PM

567 posts, read 1,163,282 times
I agree that residential development would be great, and definitely a boon to businesses and entertainment downtown. Downtown really has no adjacent residential neighborhoods to feed off of (the closest being the North Side, Mt Washington, or the Southside which are all fairly cut off), and there's not much opportunity to build much nearby given the terrain an all. So that's probably a hindrance to getting people to spend more time downtown.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,499,618 times
I thought they wanted to transform the arena area into something like Columbus (Arena District) and surround Consol Energy Center (it really needs a nickname) with retail, bars, and dining to give the area some nightlife.

I might be making that up but I swear I saw that somewhere.

EDIT: Isn't Google a wonderful thing? http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=7

Old 04-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Commercial is good occupancy as I recall but not super tight right now. Plus there are a few weird things that could still affect that, like the empty former state office building. (Who knows what that will be used for, has not been fully determined yet.) It's residential that has the 99% occupancy rate around here.

I think they should take the building out and leave the roof. They could still connect the streets. ;-)

Ha, that's an interesting idea. Why not, if it's not in the way.

I guess my point in this thread is to say to try and use that area as a catalyst for further Hill development, I think would be best. Residential, as everyone has said, plus entertainment as Brian pointed out is great, and no doubt will be part of any redev., but some kind of sustainable use that not only gives people a place to live and play, but also a place to work on some large scale might be optimal.

What industries are thriving, or just burgeoning in Pgh right now? Medical, educational and scientific, right? Something along those lines that has basis in legitimate need might set off a chain reaction that could last for decades and spurn development into the Hill.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Last I saw the Class A vacancy rate Downtown was around 15% and heading down. I think it is quite likely there will be a market for new office space, but I am not sure a skyscraper in that area makes sense: there are still spots Downtown I'd start with if I was looking to locate a skyscraper.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:30 PM

It would be cool if they could save the shell, but you need a real, solid plan for that, including provisions for maintenance and such. I haven't seen anything but concept sketches yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh