Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:52 PM

32,639 posts, read 77,924,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Plus it offers a reverse rush-hour commute. Atlanta has been putting up a lot of skyscrapers away from downtown to the point that we are developing edge cities.
DC has "edge cities" such as Tysons Corner and Reston, VA, both of which are very congested. Ditto Bethesda, MD. I don't necessarily think "edge cities" are a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 12:58 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,170,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
DC has "edge cities" such as Tysons Corner and Reston, VA, both of which are very congested. Ditto Bethesda, MD. I don't necessarily think "edge cities" are a great idea.
What can you do? Everything can't be downtown. And if you try, prices soar and you're back to the edge city. I think Pittsburgh can absorb a lot of growth but a price squeeze would send new development to Monroeville and Cranberry.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:13 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,708,013 times
There are still plenty of gaps near downtown that can be filled with development. Strip District, North Shore, Lower hill, Uptown, portions of the South side riverfront (near the terminal buildings, further down by station square), etc.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:51 PM

I prefer that all the skyscrapers stay in the triangle but maybe it could move into the strip.

In the meantime, build a new Allegheny County Jail in some out-of-the-way place in the county and either convert the jail to condos/apartments or build a new skyscraper there. That real estate is too valuable to waste on a jail.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,167,494 times
The County jail is only 20 years old. They aren't going to build a new one anytime soon.

Once again I say that Allegheny Ctr should go and well planned urban center with at least one anchor like tower.

Additionally, Oakland has low vacancy rates and vastly under utlilized.

A smart plan would do well for that area.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
The County jail is only 20 years old. They aren't going to build a new one anytime soon.

Once again I say that Allegheny Ctr should go and well planned urban center with at least one anchor like tower.

Additionally, Oakland has low vacancy rates and vastly under utlilized.

A smart plan would do well for that area.
20 years? Too old. Need a new one. Besides, the present location should fetch a good price to pay to build a jail on cheap land.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:34 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,167,494 times
Quote:
20 years? Too old. Need a new one. Besides, the present location should fetch a good price to pay to build a jail on cheap land.
I don't like it there, but that ain't changing any time soon.

I also don't know what building (commercial office) would want that spot.

Other than from a distance where it looks like a nice spot, it's pretty isolated.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,132,249 times
There is plenty of development space in the Greater Downtown area (including the near Strip, Lower Hill, North Shore, and South Shore), as well as some right in Downtown.

It makes sense to have the county jail near the county courthouse. And that location isn't as great as some people seem to think--yes it has a river view, but it is also surrounded by highway ramps:

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Old 03-12-2012, 04:16 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,234,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
It won't be built by one of the gas companies; for the most part they aren't interested in downtown. Its more likely to be a bank or law firm that will be the initial tenant, but it will be owned by a third party developer.
Despite knowing next to nothing about energy companies, that sounds reasonable to me. Many of them don't seem to even be from the region. It would probably be another rapidly expanding yet well established & highly profitable local company (like PNC is), and who knows when that will happen - if it ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun221 View Post
If PNC isn't building skyscrapers, who will
No one. ...but I reserve the right to hedge 20% with increased likelihood as more time goes by. Because, each day is another day closer you know.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,254,313 times
If we could have as many skyscapers built in the 1980s, why not now if the recession ends. In the 1990s, you had...PPG Place...One Oxford Centre...One Mellon Bank Centre....CNG Tower...Fifth Avenue Place....Liberty Center..That six skyscrapers...plus Aetna built a twenty story building on Fort Pitt Blvd., Comstock built that building near CAPA on Fort Duquesne Blvd., Two Chatam Centre was another one seventeen stories tall. I can surely see at least one more high rise built by 2020 if can built ten highrises in the 1980s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh