Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 07:29 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,256,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb85 View Post
What you experienced was the infamous Szechuan peppercorn. My wife and I are Cantonese but she loves Szechuan cuisine just because of that mouth-numbing, sickly sweet, searing hot feeling. How Lee is actually one of the best sit-down Chinese dinner places in Pittsburgh IMO, which is overall somewhat lacking in the authentic Chinese cuisine department. (Though this has improved with the opening of about a million new noodle joints in the city). Even their food can be hit or miss sometimes- we once had a meal there that was so over salted that I couldn't finish- but when they are on their game it's a very good meal.
Ah - Szechuan peppercorns and Mapo Tofu. I must try How Lee - thought Sichuan Gourmet on Murray was pretty decent too. Worthy of a repeat visit or three, and BYOB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 AM

10,240 posts, read 16,936,291 times
Quote:
City Oven opened at 336 Fourth Ave., Downtown, about a year ago. It's a fast-casual spot with a wood-fired wings and a half-dozen pizza variations, where a red pie with San Marzano tomatoes, provolone and mozzarella starts at $10.79. City Oven offers flatbread pies, rather than Neapolitan-style ones.
Stone Neapolitan Pizzeria opened this past winter at 300 Liberty Ave. (the former State Office Building, now the River Vue apartments) near Point State Park. It's a bare-bones outfit that promises traditional thin crust in 90 seconds. A margherita rings in at $6.35, with a cracker-thin, blistery crust and a sheen of San Marzano tomatoes and cheese....the newly opened Il Pizzaiolo turns out handsome pies in an oven custom-built by artisans flown in from Italy. Executive chef Richard Sphatt oversees the kitchen that produces traditional margherita pies ($14) as well as such delectable variations as the Santa Lucia with cherry tomato sauce, garlic, oregano, basil, olives, capers, anchovies and olive oil ($15)...
Slated for Downtown is Proper Brick Oven and Tap Room in the former Tambellini space on Seventh Street. Owner Suzanne Hrach will offer 30 draft beers with an emphasis on local breweries, and 20 wines on tap. The menu at the 99-seat eatery will showcase pizza with seasonal toppings, made in a wood-burning oven.
Read more: Little Bites: Local restaurant news - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

$14 isless than $18

btw, anyone had the porkorican?
Quote:
my po' boy was perfect -- spicy, crispy shrimp with pickles and tomatoes were drizzled with remoulade and tucked between two pieces of fresh bread. I loved my lunch, but the Porko-Rican stole the show -- the fiery, flavorful roasted pork is everything you ever imagined a sandwich filling could be
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2QpRiS6wX

Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 AM

29,846 posts, read 34,809,003 times
Sit-down restaurant/bar planned for Bakery Square: Bakery Social inked and expected to open in the New Year - Pittsburgh Business Times

I hope they come up with a better name for it, though.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,817,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I hope they come up with a better name for it, though.
I doubt it. There are already signs up saying that "Bakery Social" is coming to the lower level of the main building. I'll miss the space being used for events and such.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,979,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
And $6.45 is less than $14. And I think the Stone Margherita is an inch or two smaller than Il Pizzaiolo's, which makes it big enough for one. I also think I like it better, but I've never had a plain Margherita at Pizzaiolo. In any case, it makes Stone a place I can go to by myself anytime I want without either overeating or overspending.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM

606 posts, read 950,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
And $6.45 is less than $14. And I think the Stone Margherita is an inch or two smaller than Il Pizzaiolo's, which makes it big enough for one. I also think I like it better, but I've never had a plain Margherita at Pizzaiolo. In any case, it makes Stone a place I can go to by myself anytime I want without either overeating or overspending.
Have you tried the pizzas at Mercurio's? I haven't myself but I've there been with people who have and they've raved about them.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
Have you tried the pizzas at Mercurio's? I haven't myself but I've there been with people who have and they've raved about them.
Where is Mercurio's? I haven't tried it, no.

I'm being taken to Dish on the South Side for my birthday this weekend. Someone told me the seafood (which I love) there is especially good.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 AM

10,240 posts, read 16,936,291 times
Quote:
that may be, but $18 is on the high end for a margherita, $14 is not. I'll buy a $6 burger more often than a $14 burger but it doesn't mean I'll never buy one.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
that may be, but $18 is on the high end for a margherita, $14 is not.
Stop seeing an argument where one doesn't exist. I was riffing on what you wrote, but basically agreeing with you.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 AM

606 posts, read 950,131 times
Quote:
Where is Mercurio's? I haven't tried it, no.
Corner of Walnut and Filbert in Shadyside. It was gelato-only before they moved (and the gelato is terrific!), but they built a brick oven in their new space. Here's the menu. At this point it's probably my favorite lunch option in Shadyside, along with Avenue B; the salads and charcuterie are quite good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh