Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 01:57 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,098,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
It was the wurst.
Fell for that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 01:57 PM

338 posts, read 447,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
I thought the PG had referenced an opening in November several times? (Not that this means much - it was to have opened this summer)
On the site it says winter 2014. So i just figured December but it may still be November.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:58 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,098,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
The mexican place coming in next to Butcher and the Rye (owned by them as well) will be called Tako' and will be opening in December. Here is a link with a webcam of the inside construction...not much so far. http://takopgh.com/
Umlaut?????

Old 10-03-2014, 02:32 PM

778 posts, read 841,554 times
Nothing says needlessly pretentious like diacritical marks!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:56 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,997,999 times
Jade Grille in Mt. Lebo... went for 1st time last week, just for apps & drinks, not dinner. Interesting menu, not typical Chinese-American. Had the Dan-Dan Noodles (sort of Bolognese sauce if you added five-spice, firm house-made noodles), steamed dumplings (smaller than the "usual" and while not quite a soup dumpling they did have a burst of broth, dipping sauce more vinegary/garlicky than "usual") and a seafood/noodle soup, where the house-made noodles were outstanding but the broth was fatty and a bit gamey as if there was lamb stock used.

Decent sake selection and the bartender hinted that the cooks keep some baiju around and may be available for consumption if you like to live dangerously. The regular menu is fairly short but many items not elsewhere available in So. Hills and maybe not in Pittsburgh region. Well-appointed dining area and bar. Will get there for a regular dinner soon.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:08 PM

778 posts, read 841,554 times
Went to Feng and it was weird. When you walk in it looks like a night club, complete with laser lights and pumping music. My toddler thought the lights were awesome but I was less impressed. The place was nearly empty on a Saturday night. The food.... eh. It's hard to mess up hibachi as was said earlier, so it was fine but nothing to write home about. Small sake selection but at least you're not just relgated to generic low-grade hot sake. My parnents had tempura and they said it was good but not great. Don't think we'll be going back.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:16 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,911,189 times
Since we're sharing bad Chinese restaurant experiences, I'll pile on.

I ate at what used to be my favorite Chinese restaurant, China Palace, on Saturday night. I always get the same thing, shrimp and scallops in garlic sauce (hot). They used to cook up what I thought were sea scallops (the larger ones) and shrimp that looked as if they'd been cleaned in-house. Now they're serving something small and flavorless for scallops and what I guess must have been pre-peeled, pre-cleaned, and pre-cooked frozen shrimp when they went in the wok. So uniform. So dreadful.

And it was supposed to be hot. Spicy hot. "Hot, hot, hot" is what I asked for, and used to receive. If there were ten chili flakes in my dish Saturday, I'd faint into in my wok.

China Palace is no longer a favorite. What I ate Saturday was as mediocre as the food served at Sichuan Gourmet on Murray Avenue. In fact, the scallops were identical in both places. I wonder if they're owned by the same people. Something happened to China Palace, and "new owner" makes the most sense.

Zero stars. Zero chilis.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:25 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,148,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
There's a new "Asian" restaurant called Subba opening soon in Deutschtown at the corner of Ceder and E. Ohio (I assume above women's fashion retailer Flaunt?).

Anybody know anything about this? What kind of Asian?
This place is open now. It's run by a Nepalese guy (or family?), and that seems to be their specialty, though they also have Indian and Chinese dishes (as well as sushi???).

(1) It gets great reviews on Yelp and UrbanSpoon; and
(2) My wife and I went there last weekend and agree! I tried the Nepalese pork as an entree, and the momos (essentially potstickers) as appetizer... Both were very, very tasty -- and for a completely reasonable price.

I would really encourage people to try this place out -- it's on the corner of Cedar and E Ohio, and it was almost empty at like 7PM on a Friday . Unlike anything else you're going to find within the city.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 PM

3,462 posts, read 4,651,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Jade Grille in Mt. Lebo... went for 1st time last week, just for apps & drinks, not dinner. Interesting menu, not typical Chinese-American. Had the Dan-Dan Noodles (sort of Bolognese sauce if you added five-spice, firm house-made noodles), steamed dumplings (smaller than the "usual" and while not quite a soup dumpling they did have a burst of broth, dipping sauce more vinegary/garlicky than "usual") and a seafood/noodle soup, where the house-made noodles were outstanding but the broth was fatty and a bit gamey as if there was lamb stock used.

Decent sake selection and the bartender hinted that the cooks keep some baiju around and may be available for consumption if you like to live dangerously. The regular menu is fairly short but many items not elsewhere available in So. Hills and maybe not in Pittsburgh region. Well-appointed dining area and bar. Will get there for a regular dinner soon.
Sounds wonderful. I'm always eager to try places on my side of town.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:19 PM

3,462 posts, read 4,651,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
This place is open now. It's run by a Nepalese guy (or family?), and that seems to be their specialty, though they also have Indian and Chinese dishes (as well as sushi???).

(1) It gets great reviews on Yelp and UrbanSpoon; and
(2) My wife and I went there last weekend and agree! I tried the Nepalese pork as an entree, and the momos (essentially potstickers) as appetizer... Both were very, very tasty -- and for a completely reasonable price.

I would really encourage people to try this place out -- it's on the corner of Cedar and E Ohio, and it was almost empty at like 7PM on a Friday . Unlike anything else you're going to find within the city.
I'll add it to my list. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh