Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:00 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,108,082 times

Advertisements

Here is the article:

Plan for train from Westmoreland to Pittsburgh moves along

PPP, aka 3P, stands for public-private partnership, and Pennsylvania is moving toward adopting a PPP law that could help attract private investments for certain sorts of transportation projects.

One such project is the proposed AVR commuter rail service. Apparently that project will keep moving forward if the law gets passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 05:33 AM

296 posts, read 562,859 times
But wouldn't this commuter rail from Pittsburgh to Greensburg duplicate the Maglev that is going to solve all of our problems?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,933,387 times
good , hopefully this will jump start the PPPs in Urban PA. Your state needs a Transit Injection in its cities and Harrisburg seems mentally slow to do that , so this will hopefully change things. SE PA is behind by 20 billion , Urban PA as a whole is behind by 25-40 Billion in Rail , Light Rail and Bus Rapid Transit. Hopefully if this proves successful it will spread to other cities and states.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,107,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Here is the article:

Plan for train from Westmoreland to Pittsburgh moves along

PPP, aka 3P, stands for public-private partnership, and Pennsylvania is moving toward adopting a PPP law that could help attract private investments for certain sorts of transportation projects.

One such project is the proposed AVR commuter rail service. Apparently that project will keep moving forward if the law gets passed.
This is a very interesting project. Oakmont has that huge riverfront property being developed and from what I have been hearing, it is going to be popular. I am starting to rethink Oakmont if all this happens. Living in a nice little town and getting downtown on a train sounds very good. All those retired people moving to Edgewater (that new riverfront development) will be able to get into the city easily. Seems like a winner. I don't know about Arnold. Are there that many from there that would use the service?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,933,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post
But wouldn't this commuter rail from Pittsburgh to Greensburg duplicate the Maglev that is going to solve all of our problems?
LOL , your not going to get a Maglev....at least not in my lifetime. That was just a political move to win some votes. Maglev's are 6x the cost of HSR and Electrified Regional Rail

Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,194,236 times
12-14 dollars round trip? The comes out to 240-280 per month for someone working a 5 day a week schedule, using the rail line to commute downtown. Why would someone pay this when they can pay less than that for a downtown parking lease? I'm all for the idea and I think it would be great for New Kensington. I just wonder how many riders they expect to get at this price.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Maglev's are 6x the cost of HSR and Electrified Regional Rail
I don't want to get off on a tangent, but Maglev built at scale would likely be no more expensive than true HSR, and in fact could be less expensive than true HSR in many cases due to routing advantages from better acceleration (which means it can make tighter turns and climb steeper grades).

The reason we likely won't do Maglev is that there isn't enough political will to commit to an Ike/highway-style program to quickly build a true high-speed train system. So we are going the slow, incremental, constituency-building route instead, and that means using conventional rail. Which is unfortunate, since we have so little legacy passenger rail at this point in time that we could leap a generation ahead, if the political will existed (but it doesn't).

Old 05-26-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
This is a very interesting project. Oakmont has that huge riverfront property being developed and from what I have been hearing, it is going to be popular.
I agree this could be a game-changer for Oakmont. I like Oakmont already, but a 15-minute train to Downtown would garner it a lot more attention.

Quote:
I don't know about Arnold. Are there that many from there that would use the service?
I'm sure they would incorporate a park-and-ride too. And obviously you don't want the trains to start off full, since they need to pick up people at all the other stops along the way into Downtown.

Last edited by BrianTH; 05-26-2011 at 05:57 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
12-14 dollars round trip? The comes out to 240-280 per month for someone working a 5 day a week schedule, using the rail line to commute downtown. Why would someone pay this when they can pay less than that for a downtown parking lease?
Well, first of all a lot of Downtown leases aren't going to save you too much over that.

Then you have all the other costs of driving. The obvious ones are fuel and a share of your insurance, maintenance, and depreciation. In fact if you can actually walk to the train station you would use, you may well be able to eliminate a car from your household, which would result in big savings.

And then there is the value of your time. This service may actually beat commuting by car on time, and the time you spend on a train is potentially productive time, or sleep time, or whatever you would like to do with it.

Quote:
I'm all for the idea and I think it would be great for New Kensington. I just wonder how many riders they expect to get at this price.
You can do the math from the number of trains and size of the trains in the article. Four trains times six cars times 40-60 people per car means room for 960-1440 riders.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:01 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,194,236 times
There is a mention of the trains connecting to the T at Steel Plaza. Is this feasible or wishful thinking from the mayor? THAT would be truly phenomenal and could perhaps get the ball rolling for further light rail development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh