Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:49 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,223,410 times

Advertisements

Next week I'll be making my biggest investment ever (besides my kids' education). I will placing an order for a Canon XSi Rebel. I didn't want to say anything because I wanted to have it in hand, but I was encouraged to share the good news. You all have been so helpful & friendly.

I fear the most that I'll not know what to do when I finally have the new camera. It's a huge leap going from a P&S to a DSLR, so I'm going to need to know a lot while I'm waiting.

Pro's, please use basic terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 12:58 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,906,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Next week I'll be making my biggest investment ever (besides my kids' education). I will placing an order for a Canon XSi Rebel. I didn't want to say anything because I wanted to have it in hand, but I was encouraged to share the good news. You all have been so helpful & friendly.

I fear the most that I'll not know what to do when I finally have the new camera. It's a huge leap going from a P&S to a DSLR, so I'm going to need to know a lot while I'm waiting.

Pro's, please use basic terms.
I am certainly no pro but I was in your exact same shoes two years ago.

Our P&S broke and I had a new baby daughter on the way.

I've always wanted to learn photography but never had a camera to do it.

My brother in law recommended the Rebel XT (back then) and at first I about went crazy thinking I had made a bad decision.

Two years later though, I'm glad I made the purchase. I've tried to do a lot of reading and learn all I can. This forum has been such an asset.

As far as filters go, one thing I wish I would have gotten is a good circular polarizer, I'm in the market for one now.

Also, you need either a skylight or UV haze filter on all your lenses at all times. This will protect the lens glass should anything happen and a filter is much cheaper to replace than a lens.

On that subject, what len(es) are you getting with your Rebel?

Also, go to Costco and get you one of their Sandisk 4GB Compact Flash cards. They are fairly inexpensive (less than $30 I think) and you'll need at least one to get started.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:15 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,223,410 times
It will come with an 18-55mm - the P&S I have now is only 6.2-18mm. I'm trying to imagine myself with a lens the begins where my current cam ends.

I have no idea what to do with 12.2 megapixels either. (lol)

Indeed, this forum is a great place for learning from each other. Thanks for the tip about the filter.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:48 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,208,671 times
I have my eyes set on the same camera. All the pictures I've posted here are from a Fuji point and shoot or a Canon. I've been looking on Amazon and KEH camera. Hard choice on where to order it from. I'll most likely get it from Amazon. I see they have kit sales, might get one of those.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:54 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,922,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I have my eyes set on the same camera. All the pictures I've posted here are from a Fuji point and shoot or a Canon. I've been looking on Amazon and KEH camera. Hard choice on where to order it from. I'll most likely get it from Amazon. I see they have kit sales, might get one of those.
Warptman - B&H and Adorama may have your model. I have bought from them with no problem, and so have others on this forum.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:03 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,906,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
It will come with an 18-55mm - the P&S I have now is only 6.2-18mm. I'm trying to imagine myself with a lens the begins where my current cam ends.

I have no idea what to do with 12.2 megapixels either. (lol)

Indeed, this forum is a great place for learning from each other. Thanks for the tip about the filter.
Well the 18-55 was what came with mine too. Do the ones now have Image Stabilization in the 18-55?

At first, I hated that lens, almost never used it.

It's now quickly becoming one of my favs. But the more you use anything, the more versatile accessories become.

I have 3 lenses now, the 18-55 kit lens that came with mine, a 28-135(I think that's right) that's got the IS feature and then I splurged before a trip last year and bought a 70-300mm zoom with IS.

There's still some lenses that I'd like to have, but I think I've got a pretty good arsenal for what I do with a camera. Now if I could just figure out how to take better pictures!

Old 09-06-2008, 04:01 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,208,671 times
Keep in mind, most of the companies in the lesser 48 don't ship to Alaska, they think we are a different country. "We're sorry, we don't ship UPS there" is what I run into a lot. Amazon ships here. I'd have to check B&H and Adorama if they ship here.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:44 PM

11,839 posts, read 29,005,899 times
The best advice I ever got was to read the manual. Just read one chapter each evening, then practice what you've learned. By the end of the month you will have mastered your camera.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:17 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,184,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
The best advice I ever got was to read the manual. Just read one chapter each evening, then practice what you've learned. By the end of the month you will have mastered your camera.
These are the words of wisdom!

Read your manual, then come back here with questions.

Good luck with your purchase!!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:30 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,770,195 times
Don't fret the difference in the lens numbers. They may really be the same. Take my word for it at the moment. You are getting a larger sensor and most likely that accounts for the diff in lens numbers. I have a camera that has a 150mm lens. That lens is the same as the 50mm on a 35mm film camera. Nothing to worry over for sure. Read and do. Read and do. Read and do. I read my manual for easy reading from time to time. Hey it beats anything Hollywood has to offer on the boob tube for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography