Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 AM

11,839 posts, read 29,011,956 times

Advertisements

Congrats on your new camera, warpt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 09:17 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,223,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Not until you need to light up a large area or have more distant subjects that the built in will not reach. I would not buy one until I saw the need. One thing I forgot to mention is that some lenses have an large hood that can throw a shadow if you use the built in. I very seriously doubt that will be a problem for you in the near future.
I'm used to not photographing in darker conditions because my shots would hardly ever come out good, though I'd like the challenge of getting better. I'll wait on ordering an extra flash then, until I feel the need. Thanks.

I'd also like to know (from anyone), what kind of weight do these cameras have?

What's the life-span of a battery pack between charges? Is it reasonable to buy a back-up battery right away? (since I'm going to save a ton of money on AA batteries )

Our winters get pretty cold here in Buffalo, how do these cameras function in colder climates? I'm looking forward to sharing lots of snow scenes when I learn the new camera.

What else would this upgrade have to offer me that my P&S doesn't? (besides the better quality of pictures, more zoom action, etc.)

Old 09-10-2008, 09:41 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,784,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
I'm used to not photographing in darker conditions because my shots would hardly ever come out good, though I'd like the challenge of getting better. I'll wait on ordering an extra flash then, until I feel the need. Thanks.

I'd also like to know (from anyone), what kind of weight do these cameras have?

What's the life-span of a battery pack between charges? Is it reasonable to buy a back-up battery right away? (since I'm going to save a ton of money on AA batteries )

Our winters get pretty cold here in Buffalo, how do these cameras function in colder climates? I'm looking forward to sharing lots of snow scenes when I learn the new camera.

What else would this upgrade have to offer me that my P&S doesn't? (besides the better quality of pictures, more zoom action, etc.)
Cameras in the Rebel series are light as cameras go with hard plastic bodies. The battery will not last as long during winter. I always had a spare for emergency use. The spec on cold for even my pro digital is down to 32° but I know they shoot in colder weather than that. I think the mfg's are being careful with the specs. Some of those that shoot in cold weather should chime in on this aspect. I have now way of giving an honest answer on cold weather. Ask me about hot and I can give expert testimony. Under normal shooting at temps say about 50° you should be able to shoot all day on a charge. That's a guess and it can vary widely. I get trigger happy and may have a dead battery in 3 hours. Another factor is if you use the fill flash. There are some general specs given in the manual and maybe on the Canon website. One major upgrade that has not been mentioned is your abiltiy to use spot focus with this new dslr. It's a great tool and the first thing I would suggest getting the hang of. Instructions as to which button and dial to adjust will be explained in the manual. That alone will increase the sharpness of your subjects simply by putting the best focus on them. You maybe able to spot meter with the XSi. I don't remember for sure. You may have to move up to the 30D or greater for spot metering. I really expect the XSi to deliver up to 24x36 size poster prints of excellent quality when taken properly and worked up with good software and printed on qualtiy system. That is something your current point and shoot could never do. Those new fangled stick on the closet door posters for kids are kind of cool for them to show off to friends once in awhile. Oh and you can shoot RAW plus jpg at the same time. Now for don't worry about RAW and editing until you get familar with the camera and its powerful features. You can always come back later to editing some of those RAW shots in the Canon supplied software after you get the camera under control. I compare it to a college schedule. I'm not game for chemistry, physics, quantum theroy, etc all in the same semester. Between your new software and hardware you have an exciting time ahead of you if you take it a day at the time and make it fun. Just always remember Rome wasn't built in a day. I have trouble with that one as I want it all when I take it out of the box. I'm not patient in the least and that often causes me grief. I'm even anxious for you, Shep's Mom, and Warptman to hurry up and post something. What's keeping ya.... Got to go check to see if Canon has annoucnced anything new. Great shooting all.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,923,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
One word: CONTROL!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
That's absolutely right. And you are in control of a lot more technology. You are moving from a compact car to a econo sports car. How's your driving?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,923,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
That's absolutely right. And you are in control of a lot more technology. You are moving from a compact car to a econo sports car. How's your driving?
My driving's improving! This car called Elements is really new to me, but last night before I went to bed, I got to do what I wanted to do...way too many brush strokes IMO, so I've got to tweak it and find some other way to get to the same effect. Efficiency is my middle name!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
My driving's improving! This car called Elements is really new to me, but last night before I went to bed, I got to do what I wanted to do...way too many brush strokes IMO, so I've got to tweak it and find some other way to get to the same effect. Efficiency is my middle name!
You have not got your feet wet yet! There is an unending list actions that can be had for special edits and effects designed for efficiency...By the time you get a huge new multi megapixel dslr you will no doubt be ready to drive it too...

Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,219,362 times
I haven't shot anything lately here at home. It's been gloomy since I got back from Anchorage/Fairbanks. It's raining as we speak and 48 above.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I know it's going to take a lot of practice & being even more patient.

I, too, have been feeling quite anxious (meaning nervous, apprehensive) and I haven't held the camera yet.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:45 PM

My camera is ordered. I should have it on Monday. I have a feeling it's going to be a loooooooooong weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography