Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,780,863 times

Advertisements

After mentioning to someone that I was finally getting into photography and had been using a new DSLR she asked me if I knew if it would be possible to keep her old lenses from a Canon SLR that she had been using BC (before children). She had been part of a photography club and had gotten some pretty expensive good quality lenses. Gradually she used it more for snapshots and eventually got a digital point and shoot for that purpose. Now that the children are old enough for her to get back to some hobbies, and she loved my camera, she'd like to go digital but was hoping to save some $$ by using the old lenses. Everything I've seen makes it seem like she could- but- would not have the use of auto settings and the original focal lengths she had.

Being pretty new to the terminology and the technology I'm not the best person to ask, but it seems like it would be better to bite the bullet and buy a new camera and lens, spending more on the lens since a new camera in the same line will still be able to use it if she eventually needs to upgrade. I'm still saving my pennies for a decent tripod and am aware this is not a cheap hobby so I understand her hope to keep the lenses.

So... can she use the old lenses if she goes for a new Canon and would it be worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 03:14 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
I cannot say for certain with Canon, although I suspect it is likely possible.

I have an Olympus E520 DSLR camera, which I can use older film Olympus OM-1 camera lenses on (which I also have). It required purchasing an adapter which goes between the camera body and the lenses since the fittings are different sized between the DSLR and the lenses.

Also of note, some features are lost. Auto focus for instance. Some other camers (not mine) lose image stabilization too if you go to older lenses.

I am sure some cannon users will be in here soon!

Old 08-12-2010, 03:21 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Yes. There are adaptors available she could look into that would let her use her existing lenses on a dslr. She should carefully research them, to make sure she knows they are well made, otherwise they could get stuck on the camera. Some of the ones on ebay are poorly made. Yes, she will lose some of the features.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,813 times
As CaseyB said, there are adapters available. An article that may be of help can be found on a website run by Bob Atkins. He is sort of the Canon equivalent of Ken Rockwell.

Article Link

Old 08-12-2010, 09:53 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
I could be wrong, but old Canon lenses can't be used on new digital Canon cameras. However, you can use any other manual lens on Canon digital cameras by replacing the mount with a Canon EOS one.

Manual lenses you can use, from:
-Nikon
-Vivitar
-Tamron
-Leica
-Pentax
-Etc.

But focusing and lens aperture must be done manually.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:19 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Without knowing what model her current camera is, it's impossible to say. If it uses an EF mount, yes, she can use the lenses on any Canon digital SLR. However, if the camera is older than that and uses an FD mount, she would need to get some kind of adapter. Apparently Canon introduced the EF mount in 1987 so she needs to find out if her camera is older than that or not. I think if it's an EOS film camera, it should have an EF mount.

Canon EF lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-13-2010, 02:18 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,780,863 times
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to send her a link so she can read for herself. The EF mount time frame may be the fly in the ointment as I suspect the camera is from the mid 80s.

RUNYYfan I'd forgotten about Bob Atkins! I'd been looking at his site ages ago when I was first looking to buy my own DSLR and was pretty sure I wanted to go with a Canon. Not only will I send her the link I think I may have to do some more reading for myself as well. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:55 PM

15 posts, read 33,317 times
It's very unlikely that any Canon lens from the 80s will fit an EF mount without an adapter. And those adapters are not cheap or very good. Canon's old glass, FD mount, are fantastic. But they are not mechanically compatible with newer DSLR's because of minute differences in backfocal plane distance.

Bottom line, it may be easier to adapt older Canon lenses to a Panasonic 4/3 mount or even a Nikon DSLR than a Canon EF DSLR!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadware View Post
It's very unlikely that any Canon lens from the 80s will fit an EF mount without an adapter. And those adapters are not cheap or very good. Canon's old glass, FD mount, are fantastic. But they are not mechanically compatible with newer DSLR's because of minute differences in backfocal plane distance.

Bottom line, it may be easier to adapt older Canon lenses to a Panasonic 4/3 mount or even a Nikon DSLR than a Canon EF DSLR!
You are correct about the problem with older Canon lenses. However, one can use any manual lens (other than the Canon ones mentioned), and use it on a Canon DSLR with a Canon EOS mount. By the way, while focusing is done manually, Canon cameras still maintain metering since Canon does not use electrical contacts between the lens and body for metering. Not so with Nikon cameras from the D200 down the line. These won't meter with the mount adapters.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:53 PM

963 posts, read 2,301,823 times
Truthfully, unless you are a true hobbyist who loves to tweak camera settings and work with manual focusing, it is usually better to purchase a modern lens along with your DSLR. Working with a manual focusing lens and setting exposure compensation that is often needed when working with lenses set in manual mode can be mildly irritating to someone who wants to benefit from all the modern conveniences of a DSLR camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography