Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,820,272 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if transplants to the Phoenix area over the past 5 years or so would do it again. Give us your thoughts on how you gained or maybe lost on the decision you made back then before "bottom" fell out of the recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:39 AM

209 posts, read 504,435 times
We left there is 06 and yes we would move back. We are actually thinking about moving back and starting a business upon arrival. We would work in our current fields while starting our company. It was great there but we did miss all the green that is back east. People there were very friendly and raising a family is a very high concern for us since we have 2 kids. But yes we really liked it there.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:07 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,111,506 times
My daughter and I packed up and moved here from the Chicago area 9 years ago and we stayed. The homes for sale were so cheap, the taxes were so cheap, the roads were so nice, the weather was great and there were jobs for both of us. And we hated the long gray winters in Chicago. The cold snow was getting to us both and all that rain and humidity wasn't nice. So we took a chance and moved and we are not regretting the decision. If I had it all over to do again, I would do it.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:18 PM

9,317 posts, read 18,787,787 times
You could not tempt me back to CA for the world. I still get homesick, but for things long gone. We love it here, even with the downturn in the economy. I am so grateful to be "stuck" here rather than there. We do continue to look for a last retirement spot but keep coming back to where we are now.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:44 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,370,474 times
I'd do it again in a cocaine heartbeat. I've never been happier. Love it here. I make more money than I did back east, work from home, my wife makes more money, has a much shorter commute, we just bought an awesome house for way less than my shoebox condo back east cost and I swim in my pool every night after dinner. Paradise.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:16 PM

53 posts, read 117,960 times
I would only do it again if I could bring all of my social network with me. Its been extremely hard meeting new people here. I have heard this from many others as well. We are sick a lot less since its a dryer climate. I do miss all the greenery tremendously though.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:49 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,491,751 times
I wish we would of know the area better before we accepted our jobs. Phoenix is nice if you're located in a good spot. Still not in my top ten list. We're stuck here now (in-laws moved down the street) so..... I keep a good attitude and am counting down the days/years(18) until the kids are out of school or the in-laws kick the bucket

Old 05-18-2010, 05:04 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,358,606 times
After graduating from ASU in '08, I left to go to grad school in LA and then for a job in Reno. Now I'm back in Denver and unemployed again. I can think of a long list of both positives & negatives about Phoenix-- what it comes down to is it's an acquired taste. I wish I could come back to Phoenix (or Las Vegas), but I see very few quality job opportunities in Phoenix. Haven't been able to get one single interview there so far, whereas I've had a bunch of interviews in Denver.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:12 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,138,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
I wish we would of know the area better before we accepted our jobs. Phoenix is nice if you're located in a good spot. Still not in my top ten list. We're stuck here now (in-laws moved down the street) so..... I keep a good attitude and am counting down the days/years(18) until the kids are out of school or the in-laws kick the bucket

Please forgive me for saying this but......that sounds like a "sucky" way to live.

I certainly wouldn't let any of those things hold me back from leaving.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:15 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,138,446 times
I'm bummed that I didn't move here sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area