Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 11:02 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,306,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Very well said.
I did a lot of research about this place before I moved here from Oregon 5 years ago. It took me several years to sell my house up there so I spent many looooooong hours on this forum and other sites getting a feel for desert life. I visited a few times every year but always in the winter or spring so since I never got the opportunity to experience the hot summers for myself, I was very concerned how I would deal with the heat. Almost scared. The way most on this very forum described the summers, I thought I'd go crazy trying to survive the summers here. Every one of my friends and most of my family called me crazy wanting to move here.
Well, I am now going on my 6th summer here and I have not only lived to tell the tale, I have thrived and loved every minute of living in the desert. Summers ended up being my favorite time of year and as it turns out, most of those people that tried so desperately to tell me how horrible life here in the Phoenix area was, have now visited me and moved here.
It's what you make of it. If you believe that the heat of summer is something that you just have to suffer through to enjoy our wonderful weather the rest of the year, then you will huddle up in the house until October or November. You'll complain that it's 120 degrees for 6 months a year. Go ahead and diss on the summers here. I won't be listening. I'll be in the pool, at the lake or cruising around the state checking things out.
Now if you'll excuse me, the lake is calling my name.

Well said.

I have talked with so many other transplants that say the same thing; that every one warned them about how HORRIBLE the summers are and how everyone suffers and almost dies every year, and they found that's not that bad. Yes it is hot, yes you have to stay hydrated and be smart about it, but it's not that bad.

My mom back in Illinois will never understand. She thinks that 90 degrees here is like 90 in July there. It's not. With a light breeze and low humidity, I sometimes need a light sweater outside if I am wearing a dress. The other night I was sitting out by the pool after dark. It was still 91 degrees and I was chilly. I went inside for a jacket!

I am ready for it to warm up myself!

Old 04-26-2016, 11:17 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,158,194 times
Seriously...quit telling people it isn't that bad. We have enough people here.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:38 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,025,282 times
Health? Enjoy your skin cancer, heat stroke, and the weather and sprawling layout generally making it nigh-impossible to exercise. lol

Old 04-26-2016, 11:42 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,973,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Health? Enjoy your skin cancer, heat stroke, and the weather and sprawling layout generally making it nigh-impossible to exercise. lol
Its called sunscreen, water, and a brain. And we can exercise here, outdoors, 365 days a year practically. Try that in Chicago, bubba. And if you think Chicago isnt sprawling, too, I'd say you're nuts.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:57 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,158,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
You are absolutely correct. Never, ever move here. Thank you.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:00 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,571,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
BTW, the heat is nothing like the swamps of Houston. It's much more bearable. As for allergies, it's a guess. If you have mold and dust mite allergies they will improve here, but there are enough other things around that you probably won't get real relief. People who are allergic manage to find something to react to just about anywhere they live.
Not everyone has the same reaction to humidity. I live in the Houston metro, and I like the humidity.....and my skin 'loves it'.

I've been to all of the 40 largest cities in the U.S. except Honolulu, and the only one I have any trouble tolerating heat wise in the Summer is Phoenix.

I just did a search for 'U.S. cities ranked by average Summer heat index'.

Phoenix is #1 on the Sperling Heat Index that encompasses the 50 largest U.S. metros:

1. Phoenix-Mesa, AZ
2. Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
3. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
4. Houston-Sugar Land, TX
5. Austin-Round Rock, TX
6. San Antonio, TX
7. Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL
8. New Orleans-Metarie, LA
9. Orlando-Kissimmee, FL
10.Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL

Sizzling Cities ranked – our new Heat Index – Bert Sperling – searching for the Best Places

^^^^^ The link also includes another link to supporting data in a spreadsheet.

Re allergies, as you noted it depends on what triggers a reaction.

I sometimes suffered in the SF Bay Area, but (knock on wood) not in Houston.

I just arrived in Tucson, and I've been in Arizona for three days. The dry air is bothering me (headaches, dry nose, etc).

Old 04-26-2016, 08:15 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,415,459 times
I love it here! Beats Tucson (for young people). So much to do, inside and outside. The winters are full of outdoor festivals that are cheap/free. Chipotle is doing their cultivate fest this weekend. all you pay for is parking, AND you get a free chipotle meal at the end of it. That's just an example. There is tons of hiking, amazing food (for what phoenix is anyways), and you're not far from a weekend escape from the heat-Prescott/flagstaff. and we have a few lakes around. you'll never be bored here.

Every place you go has its pros/cons. but Phoenix has the best pros/cons IMO. Now, the dating scene...thats a huge con. oh well, lol. I can't have it all I guess.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:23 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,506,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Not everyone has the same reaction to humidity. I live in the Houston metro, and I like the humidity.....and my skin 'loves it'.

I've been to all of the 40 largest cities in the U.S. except Honolulu, and the only one I have any trouble tolerating heat wise in the Summer is Phoenix.

I just did a search for 'U.S. cities ranked by average Summer heat index'.

Phoenix is #1 on the Sperling Heat Index that encompasses the 50 largest U.S. metros:

1. Phoenix-Mesa, AZ
2. Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
3. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
4. Houston-Sugar Land, TX
5. Austin-Round Rock, TX
6. San Antonio, TX
7. Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL
8. New Orleans-Metarie, LA
9. Orlando-Kissimmee, FL
10.Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL

Sizzling Cities ranked – our new Heat Index – Bert Sperling – searching for the Best Places

^^^^^ The link also includes another link to supporting data in a spreadsheet.

Re allergies, as you noted it depends on what triggers a reaction.

I sometimes suffered in the SF Bay Area, but (knock on wood) not in Houston.

I just arrived in Tucson, and I've been in Arizona for three days. The dry air is bothering me (headaches, dry nose, etc).
A lot of people moved to the Phoenix area from cold or humid climates to get away from snowstorms, icy roads, sub-freezing temperatures, flash floods, tornadoes, and other kinds of hazardous weather associated with wetter-colder climates.

Most people agree that the summertime is dreadfully hot here but several months of dreadful heat can be easier to deal with than those other conditions.

So it's a tradeoff, nowhere has perfect weather all the time.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:04 PM

371 posts, read 1,009,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
A lot of people moved to the Phoenix area from cold or humid climates to get away from snowstorms, icy roads, sub-freezing temperatures, flash floods, tornadoes, and other kinds of hazardous weather associated with wetter-colder climates.

Most people agree that the summertime is dreadfully hot here but several months of dreadful heat can be easier to deal with than those other conditions.

So it's a tradeoff, nowhere has perfect weather all the time.
I moved back to downtown Chicago after many years in AZ because I was tired of the endless sun, having to drive to get anywhere (sprawl), having to run only when the sun wasn't out, the brown everything, the cheap stucco boxes everywhere, 90+ weather from March until November, 100+ weather from April to October, 110+ weather from June to September, blowing dirt storms and 'monsoon' humidity from July to September (tho rarely substantial rains). I have to admit the first few years were a novelty but it wore. The attraction to AZ is it is relatively affordable for most anyone...until they get their first AC bill of summer after realizing they will have to spend a lot of time indoors. I just like seasons and water/beaches along with the amenities of a world class city.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:06 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,743,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
I moved back to downtown Chicago after many years in AZ because I was tired of the endless sun, having to drive to get anywhere (sprawl), having to run only when the sun wasn't out, the brown everything, the cheap stucco boxes everywhere, 90+ weather from March until November, 100+ weather from April to October, 110+ weather from June to September, blowing dirt storms and 'monsoon' humidity from July to September (tho rarely substantial rains). I have to admit the first few years were a novelty but it wore. The attraction to AZ is it is relatively affordable for most anyone...until they get their first AC bill of summer after realizing they will have to spend a lot of time indoors. I just like seasons and water/beaches along with the amenities of a world class city.
Such a troll.... here we are on 4/29/16 and not a single day over 100.... having to drive everywhere here??? because you chose to live in the distant suburbs, you're own problem. Everything you complained about relative to AZ was your own problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area