Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 10:53 AM

175 posts, read 465,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRickShawMan View Post
Tootsie.
Just to sum things up for you regarding comparing midwest summer heat to Arizona summer heat.

Arizona summer heat = DRY and hot

Midwest region summer heat = Damn hot and very HUMID.
Dry? It's humid as hell here in Phoenix right now and stays that way from July -September until the winds shift and stops bringing in moist air from Mexico.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 AM

80 posts, read 172,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
Dry? It's humid as hell here in Phoenix right now and stays that way from July -September until the winds shift and stops bringing in moist air from Mexico.
Your kidding right? Someone from the Midwest considers this kind of humidity a joke. Try 100 degrees with 90% humidity and then tell me that Phoenix is humid.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:51 AM

39,110 posts, read 51,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexin View Post
Your kidding right? Someone from the Midwest considers this kind of humidity a joke. Try 100 degrees with 90% humidity and then tell me that Phoenix is humid.
No joke! This a.m. at Casa Mia it was 94 degrees with a dewpoint of 70. That is about the same as it was when I visited Arkansas last month - in the middle of the afternoon!
Of course, both the humidity and the temperatures at the moment are anomalously high for us. It's not normally this bad most of the monsoon season and midwesterners probably would find it dry.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:10 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,576,997 times
Yuck! Before that time, I will move my address back to Tucson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
It's still very hot outside even at night(90-100 degrees). Experts have predicted that in 20 years the summer low in Phoenix may stay at above 100 degrees.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:49 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,325,238 times
In the 25 years that I have lived here I have watched the population of Maricopa county zoom from 1.8 million to over 4 million.
It hasn't been a change for the better. Historically there has been economic over-dependance on real estate speculation.
Maybe with the crash of the real estate bubble this will cease. I'm not sure but hope so.
I'm not anti growth but the insane pace of the past is no plan for the future.
I think folks in other parts of the country see AZ as an inland version of SoCal. And there is some truth to that.
Lord willing AZ will never resemble what SoCal has become. Time will tell.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:19 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,987,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
1. They enjoy their swimming pool
2. They play golf, run or walk in the morning and evening
Had no idea so many people had pools, or exercised when the weather is simply bad rather than awful.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,227,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
The Phoenix region surely has to be better for my allergies than Houston was where I had cold-like symptoms way more than I ever should have had.
Careful... I often have tightness in my chest, chronic coughs and headaches because of allergies in Phoenix.

Go to National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report > click on maps at the top > click the bubble that says Health & Safety > select allergies in the menu > underneath the map you can select the type of pollen

Old 07-18-2010, 05:51 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,527,334 times
Quote:
It's still very hot outside even at night(90-100 degrees). Experts have predicted that in 20 years the summer low in Phoenix may stay at above 100 degrees.
That's funny. I wonder who these "experts" are and if they (or their data) had any ties to those lying "global warming" clowns in England.
Some "experts" are also claiming that not only is "global cooling" on it's way, but it may have already begun....

Old 07-18-2010, 07:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexin View Post
On the rare occasion it reaches 100 degrees in my area (Chicagoland), humidity is NEVER near 90%, more like 50%. Its the dewpoint that smacks ya around hard, not the humidity. This morning the dewpoint was 70, and this afternoon it appears to have taken a plunge, bringing much relief.

But I agree, the humidity in PHX is much lower year round than the Midwest. Its the prolonged heat that sucks the life out of you down there, even w/o the humidity. And during monsoon season, the humidity is very noticeable down there. I remember stepping outside one day after a downpour and the streets were steaming. Felt every bit as awful as it does here in the Midwest because the temps were still over 100 degrees.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:43 PM

15 posts, read 60,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
And the other 98% who work?
Everyone I know who lives in AZ has a pension check/social security check from some other state. 98 percent is not correct and even if it was wouldn't they get vacation time to go somewhere?
By the way I was looking at how much money phoenix city workers make...rather high I thought no wonder the city doesn't have any money.
527 Phoenix employees earn $100,000 or more : AZ IMC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area