Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 01:53 AM

293 posts, read 912,770 times

Advertisements

I live in Houston and here's my question: In July and August people here play softball, soccer, etc. even during the hottest part of the afternoon. We may sweat a lot but we get used to it and don't really find it uncomfortable. In Phoenix do people actually play softball, soccer etc. when it is 112 or more outside? Wouldn't that be dangerous?

Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 AM

896 posts, read 269,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
I live in Houston and here's my question: In July and August people here play softball, soccer, etc. even during the hottest part of the afternoon. We may sweat a lot but we get used to it and don't really find it uncomfortable. In Phoenix do people actually play softball, soccer etc. when it is 112 or more outside? Wouldn't that be dangerous?
Yes we do. we play at night under the lights

Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 AM

2,000 posts, read 10,600,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Were you miserable at all this past winter where you live now? The heat in AZ is not like the heat in the midwest, Arkansas, Houston, or Florida. You don't have to buy unless you are sure, plenty of rentals out there...until you decide where you want to be. I think you may have answered your own questions

We had snow, we had cold, but miserable...no. At a certain age, you DO get more aches in your bones/joints from the cold (hey, everyone will get some osteoarthritis as they age which is wear and tear arthritis). You do tend to stay in the house more during the dead of winter, tho; however, it didn't stop me from swimming 3X a week still. You just make sure you wear a hat--no matter how goofy you look--that covers your entire head and ties underneath so it won't blow off in winter after coming out of that pool. But nobody caught colds from it if they covered their heads that I know.
By the way, alot of geezers love Arizona because of the heat: feels good on the joints (osteoarthritis explained above). I get it more and more as I age.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:47 AM

2,000 posts, read 10,600,981 times
Quote:

You are surely tougher than I am. There is no way I would play sports in the dead of July and August on a hot/humid Houston afternoon...whew! You must be one tough hombre.
All I ever did in July and August in Houston is run to my air conditioned car to get to an air conditioned movie theatre. Maybe I'm a sissy....

I did find in Houston that if I weighed more--and, unfortunately, I'm an emotional eater like Oprah and go from a size 8 to 18 at times--that living in humid Houston was hell when I was on the fat side. Good reason to keep your weight down in Houston, trust me. And, since it's an athletic town and an outdoor life overall, that could be done easier than some other cities like Chicago where it isn't an outdoor life.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 AM

930 posts, read 2,430,240 times
No comparison between 110 and -10. Stick a thermometer in your derrierre. Did it come up closer to -10 or closer to 110 :0

Repeat until it becomes clear.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,724,128 times
i love AZ its near CA and its like being at the beach without that stupid beach crowd.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx85339 View Post
Yes we do. we play at night under the lights
So what you are saying is nobody plays in mid-afternoon in the summer? I'm not saying EVERYONE in Houston goes out and plays in the blazing summer sun, but believe me, pleanty of people do it and don't mind it a bit. I'm not trying to start a my city is better than yours flame war, I'm just trying to figure out whether it is considered really uncomfortable or dangerous to participate in sports in the afternoon when the temps are over 110. I hear over and over that many people prefer dry heat of 110 plus over humid heat of 95 and I don't doubt it. But what I'm trying to find out is whether those people are including exercising, taking long walks, etc, or whether they are just talking about sitting in the shade or even taking a very brief walk from the car into a store when they go shopping. I have actually worked outside in Eastern Washington when the temperature was 108 and frankly it wasn't unpleasant. But I was in the shade the whole time. It seems to me that the blazing afternoon sun would be brutal when the temp gets to 112 etc. Is that true or not?

Old 05-13-2010, 11:42 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,961,158 times
Quote:
So what you are saying is nobody plays in mid-afternoon in the summer? I'm not saying EVERYONE in Houston goes out and plays in the blazing summer sun, but believe me, pleanty of people do it and don't mind it a bit. I'm not trying to start a my city is better than yours flame war, I'm just trying to figure out whether it is considered really uncomfortable or dangerous to participate in sports in the afternoon when the temps are over 110. I hear over and over that many people prefer dry heat of 110 plus over humid heat of 95 and I don't doubt it. But what I'm trying to find out is whether those people are including exercising, taking long walks, etc, or whether they are just talking about sitting in the shade or even taking a very brief walk from the car into a store when they go shopping. I have actually worked outside in Eastern Washington when the temperature was 108 and frankly it wasn't unpleasant. But I was in the shade the whole time. It seems to me that the blazing afternoon sun would be brutal when the temp gets to 112 etc. Is that true or not?
Trying to explain AZ summers to someone, especially if they've never been here at that time, isn't easy! Most folks are smart enough to NOT be out jogging on the high heat days and, yes, we do try to do things earlier or later in the day. You acclimate once you are here and learn to live with it. I grew up here, spent my summer days outside ALL summer, except during a monsoon storm. There's a reason why so many homes have pools!

I have lived where there was high humidity and I wouldn't trade that for AZ ever.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Trying to explain AZ summers to someone, especially if they've never been here at that time, isn't easy! Most folks are smart enough to NOT be out jogging on the high heat days and, yes, we do try to do things earlier or later in the day. You acclimate once you are here and learn to live with it. I grew up here, spent my summer days outside ALL summer, except during a monsoon storm. There's a reason why so many homes have pools!

I have lived where there was high humidity and I wouldn't trade that for AZ ever.
I keep getting answers, but they aren't answers to the exact question I am asking: Do people in Phoenix ever exercise vigourously in the middle of the afternoon in the summer and is it considered dangerous? I remember a story a few years back where some Shriners scheduled a parade in the afternoon in Las Vegas and were advised to cancel it because it was considered dangerous. They held the parade anyway because they said they had held summer parades where they came from and had no problems. Long story short, in Vegas at least a couple of them passed out. I already know that many people prefer the dry heat of Phoenix over humidity. I already know that people play sports at night. They do that here in Houston too. That's not what I'm asking.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:48 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,788,365 times
Quote:
Everyone still go out and Hike, work, and so forth. Its probably all these transplants who are scared of the summer heat. I grew up here and played outside all summer long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area