Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:53 AM

162 posts, read 849,355 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen roof rats in Peoria?

Also, what are the flying ones people are talking about?

I'm from CT and was thinking of moving there and the issue of the roof rats concerns me. Thanks very mcuh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 08:15 AM

162 posts, read 849,355 times
Default Rats On Roofs

Anyone hear of roof rats moving out to Peoria area?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:42 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,152,345 times
Default Nope

Can't say that I have..

Old 04-17-2007, 09:02 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
I’ve not heard of anyone with roof rats in Peoria. They are associated with citrus trees and orchards. Seems over the years that many home subdivisions have been built in the areas of citrus trees. The rats like citrus food and have been seen running on rooftops, they build their home in attics.

There are no flying ones! You’re mixing the flying roaches with the rats. Flying roaches have been seen in Scottsdale area however they will be across the valley soon and most everyone will have some problem with them. The best way to avoid any problem with the rats or the roaches is to keep pet food put away and not left in the dishes for the dog or cat. Avoid leaving citrus that has fallen on the ground under the trees and if you can pick it early and removing there food helps to keep them away.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:21 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,527 times
I don't think it was ever an issue in Peoria.. Sun City, which borders Peoria, yes. But not Peoria.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinecities View Post
Anyone hear of roof rats moving out to Peoria area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’ve not heard of anyone with roof rats in Peoria. They are associated with citrus trees and orchards. Seems over the years that many home subdivisions have been built in the areas of citrus trees. The rats like citrus food and have been seen running on rooftops, they build their home in attics.

There are no flying ones! You’re mixing the flying roaches with the rats. Flying roaches have been seen in Scottsdale area however they will be across the valley soon and most everyone will have some problem with them. The best way to avoid any problem with the rats or the roaches is to keep pet food put away and not left in the dishes for the dog or cat. Avoid leaving citrus that has fallen on the ground under the trees and if you can pick it early and removing there food helps to keep them away.
You'll find roaches anywhere that people leave food out for pets. Normally this is not a problem and I’ve only seen roaches one year in the 25+ that I’ve been here.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:32 AM

341 posts, read 1,486,794 times
HAHAHAHAHA someone's yanking your chain!

Old 04-17-2007, 11:38 AM

341 posts, read 1,673,290 times
ROof RAts - I have them in my crawl space right now - my poor wife is sick - pest control coming tomorrow - I live in Arcadia
friends of ours had them in cave creek a few years ago and she says now the only problem she has is prairie dogs eating her outdoor furniture cushions interiors

Old 04-17-2007, 11:42 AM

341 posts, read 1,673,290 times
the roaches are common place - they come in through the canals also - some cities have upgraded their water systems and treated to avoid the occurence - when we lived in gilbert 10 yrs ago that was common - and the pest guy said to wash some ammonia or bleach down your drains at night (maybe twice a month) before the warm season started - let it sit overnight and wash out the next morning with running water - and eventually that will push them back from your home - and you know what - it worked after doing that 3-4 x times our first summer - we never saw anymore in the house - used to get some roaches in the garage (and they can get big) - but after spraying atleast once a year for 5 yrs they seem to disappear
but she is right , keep pet food and fruit away.
You know where every you live there are critters and wildlife - you just have to understand your environment.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:51 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
You know I encountered the most when I lived in Peoria was crickets! I kept finding dead ones in the bathroom we never used.

We also had a rash of toads (or frogs, don't know which) in our neighborhood. They were the size of a quarter and SO cute! I had about 5 of them that camped out at my front door. They were quick and smart. They hopped to the side real fast, but when they were out they always sat at my doormat. Whenever I went walking at night they would be hopping along and in the street. I always worried about them getting run over. One time there was one under my car when I stopped to get the mail. Let's just say I was there for a while. Eventually they vanished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area