Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,343 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I need advise I live in Houston, Texas, but my family and I will be relocate to Phoenix this summer. I have two daughters preteen and teen. We are trying to make a good decision for us choosing the correct place to live. My husband work will be 85009 in Phoenix. What are can you recommend me? Important family oriented, good schools. Thank you for your advices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 05:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Chandler would be a hellish commute. What’s the third option? Peoria or Peoria?

Old 03-05-2018, 05:38 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
I worked near or in that ZIP code for part of my career. I lived in Ahwatukee which is in the south part of the city of Phoenix. The commute got worse by the year and it was pretty bad by the time I pulled up stakes and headed for Goodyear. Goodyear eventually went south as I 10 backed up during rush hours. I think either Avondale or Goodyear close to the 10 would be better commutes than Peoria though not fun. You would be passing through one or the other or both on the way to work.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:54 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Chandler actually wouldn't be too bad of a commute once the South Mountain freeway is completed in 2019. I don't anticipate heavy traffic on that freeway when it opens, maybe just near the I-10 interchanges. Personally I'd take Chandler over Avondale, Peoria and Goodyear if the commute isn't much worse.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:15 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,599 times
These kinds of threads always leave me shaking my head. Why would someone purposely choose to live so far from their work? The commute from Chandler to that area of Phoenix would be terrible. I'm in Chandler and have co-workers who live in that area and they HATE the drive.

Consider Estrella, Laveen, Glendale. (Peoria would be 4th choice)

Old 03-05-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
These kinds of threads always leave me shaking my head. Why would someone purposely choose to live so far from their work? The commute from Chandler to that area of Phoenix would be terrible. I'm in Chandler and have co-workers who live in that area and they HATE the drive.

Consider Estrella, Laveen, Glendale. (Peoria would be 4th choice)
I don't know. If my wife and I had our jobs moved to that part of town, there's no way we'd move to Glendale or Laveen, we would stay in Chandler and make the drive because we consider this area to be MUCH more desirable (I'm self employed anyway but you get the idea). If I had to drive 15-20 extra minutes to be in a part of town I prefer, I'd do that. Having said that, I'm not sure the commute would be that bad when the SM freeway is done as I bet you could cruise on that at 75 even during rush hour, but that's well over a year away.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:54 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I don't know. If my wife and I had our jobs moved to that part of town, there's no way we'd move to Glendale or Laveen, we would stay in Chandler and make the drive because we consider this area to be MUCH more desirable (I'm self employed anyway but you get the idea). If I had to drive 15-20 extra minutes to be in a part of town I prefer, I'd do that. Having said that, I'm not sure the commute would be that bad when the SM freeway is done as I bet you could cruise on that at 75 even during rush hour, but that's well over a year away.
Sure, I get that a job change would cause the need for a commute. But why put yourself through that when you're just moving to town? There are several other communities that would be closer.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Sure, I get that a job change would cause the need for a commute. But why put yourself through that when you're just moving to town? There are several other communities that would be closer.
But when your job is in "The Hood", living close to work is not the best choice. I would agree with Goodyear as a good option, but I bet when the South Mountain freeway is completed the commute from Estrella or Chandler to this area of Phoenix would be similar so I would keep Chandler as an option, albeit more expensive. The inbound I-10 heading East into Phoenix is a parking lot in the morning, but I would do it to get in a better area.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:50 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
From the title of your thread, it seems like Peoria would be a better fit.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Maybe Peoria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area