Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 19,010 times

Advertisements

I am Moving to Phoenix to work for 3 mths at St Josephs hospital. I found a reasonably priced fully furnished apartment at 5525 E. Thomas Rd at 56th St in Phoenix. I think the complex is called spengler. The gentleman tells me that it has a great pool and workout area. It appears on the map that it is about a 15 min drive to the hospital and not too far from the gallery area of old town scottsdale. I would love someone to give me some insight into the area and more impotantly this address. Is this a safe area? Any comments would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 04:32 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursiankitty View Post
I am Moving to Phoenix to work for 3 mths at St Josephs hospital. I found a reasonably priced fully furnished apartment at 5525 E. Thomas Rd at 56th St in Phoenix. I think the complex is called spengler. The gentleman tells me that it has a great pool and workout area. It appears on the map that it is about a 15 min drive to the hospital and not too far from the gallery area of old town scottsdale. I would love someone to give me some insight into the area and more impotantly this address. Is this a safe area? Any comments would be appreciated!
It's an older area, but not a bad one... for a three month stay, the location is convenient for your work and, as he said, not far from downtown Scottsdale (or Papago Park, the Botanical Garden and zoo, etc.) I think it would work fine.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 PM

919 posts, read 3,396,309 times
It's a good area and very close to a lot of things... a quick hop to downtown PHX, Old Town Scottsdale, not far from Tempe. Lots of cool places just to the north in Arcadia as well. I can't speak for the exact complex, but several in that stretch were completely renovated.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:06 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,419,889 times
I used to live at Orange Tree apartments on 52nd St and Thomas (5333 E Thomas)

The area is very ghetto, not horrible, but run down, lots of mexicans, and lots of traffic.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:53 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I used to live at Orange Tree apartments on 52nd St and Thomas (5333 E Thomas)

The area is very ghetto, not horrible, but run down, lots of mexicans, and lots of traffic.
That is the impression that I have, ethnic characterizations aside. I worked in an office building about 1/2 mile north of Thomas on 56th Street, and although it was in a nice area and there were some great neighborhoods to the north, by the time you get down to Thomas, the area, at least the part that fronts Thomas, does not look all that inviting.

Last edited by pbenjamin; 06-12-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-12-2009, 12:31 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,973 times
It's a good area. I'm not sure how it can be described as ghetto - you'd be practically next door to the country club, Arcadia, and the Sherwood Heights neighborhood.

I guess if you were moving closer to say, 48th/McDowell, you might have reason to worry. 56th/Thomas, however, is fine.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:17 PM

Maybe I am being put off by the Savers on the corner...

Old 06-12-2009, 01:32 PM

Thank you all so much for your insight. It is so hard moving to a new area and not knowing anything about it. I am also looking at a sublet in camden san paloma in scottsdale which looks like a 25 min commute to St Joes down 51. Also waiting for a reply on a sublet near south mountain. I am feeling a little leary of the one on E. Thomas as the landlord is very pushy and wants me to send 1st mth right away...wire it to his account...and I haven't even filled out the information form he sent to me. He says the form is just for him and he will transfer info to a lease.??? i don't think that sounds quite right. Why not just send me the lease and what is the big rush with $$, getting it to him today. HMMM any thoughts?

Old 06-12-2009, 01:41 PM

I don't know about your price range but there are nice places to live fairly close to St. Joe's (I can see the hospital from my backyard).

Old 06-12-2009, 02:11 PM

my price range is $800 or less. Where do you live? Is there a pool and work out area in the complex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area