Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 PM

674 posts, read 2,555,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I used to live at Orange Tree apartments on 52nd St and Thomas (5333 E Thomas)

The area is very ghetto, not horrible, but run down, lots of mexicans, and lots of traffic.
I'm Mexican but I don't see why living near me would cause a problem.

Anyways, that area is far from ghetto. I don't live too far from there (44th St and Indian School) and I love it, I especially love being close to everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 03:14 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursiankitty View Post
Thank you all so much for your insight. It is so hard moving to a new area and not knowing anything about it. I am also looking at a sublet in camden san paloma in scottsdale which looks like a 25 min commute to St Joes down 51. Also waiting for a reply on a sublet near south mountain. I am feeling a little leary of the one on E. Thomas as the landlord is very pushy and wants me to send 1st mth right away...wire it to his account...and I haven't even filled out the information form he sent to me. He says the form is just for him and he will transfer info to a lease.??? i don't think that sounds quite right. Why not just send me the lease and what is the big rush with $$, getting it to him today. HMMM any thoughts?
I'm more put off by the manager/landlord's behavior than the location. The Camden place is fine, but it's further out for really no reason. You ought to be able to find something closer just as nice.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:26 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
I don't live in an apartment but there are apartments nearby along Central Ave. Roosevelt Square looks interesting but I haven't been in it. There are people here who are more knowledgeable about apartments who might help. I was just thinking that if I worked at St Joe's I would be looking over here rather than setting up a commute for myself. Anyplace along Central would put you where you could either walk or use the light rail (there is a light rail station at Thomas and Central which hospiltal employees use).

Old 06-12-2009, 06:23 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,035,029 times
I looked at a "retirement community" for a relative in this general area. It's not great. Not horrible. Just not great. I noticed that anything 5 or so blocks west of Scottsdale Rd, north of McDowell up to around Indian Schools was not great. Just my 2 cents.

You can do way better for $800. Don't give the pushy guy your business! It's a renters market.

Where by South Mountain? It's another area I'd not rush into, although there are some very nice areas.

Have you looked around the Camelback corridor? It's central phoenix on Camelback Road from Central Ave to 44th, approx. There are zillions of apts there, lots cater to business people.

Also, there are many nice apartments near old town Scottsdale. I like the area west of Scottsdale Road around and north of Indian School. Just an idea, but check it out if you have a chance.

If someone is bullying you to send a check: Don't.

Edit: Just reread your orig post. The furnished part...I don't know much about. Have you tried Craigslist? So many business people have had to move out of 1 bed room condos to find work elsewhere lately. I bet you could get a smokin 1 br furnished for under $800. 3 months rent, guaranteed is still 3 months rent to somebody paying a mortgage. Check it out. Good luck.

JMHO.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:11 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,562,811 times
Oh my gosh! I used to live there. The area is very decent. There are a lot of retirees in the area and some families. Old Town Scottsdale is less than 10-minutes by car. However, the area just south on 56th street is very shabby, especially at night. Just B4 I left a few weeks ago, several people had their cars broken into. The police said gangbangers from close by were scouting the complex for stuff. The apartments are actually nice, but very plain.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:01 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,426,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
I'm Mexican but I don't see why living near me would cause a problem.

Anyways, that area is far from ghetto. I don't live too far from there (44th St and Indian School) and I love it, I especially love being close to everything.
I drive by the area often, not much as changed since I moved. The area is pretty ghetto, not as bad as some areas, but it is definetly low-income housing and lots of illegals, half of my neighbors were mexicans.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:45 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
but it is definetly low-income housing and lots of illegals, half of my neighbors were mexicans.
So you are assuming that all your "Mexican" neighbors were illegals?? You should get a job with Sheriff Joe-- you know all about profiling.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since you keep bringing up this point, it merited a response.

Back to topic.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:38 AM

687 posts, read 1,948,362 times
Quote:
I drive by the area often, not much as changed since I moved. The area is pretty ghetto, not as bad as some areas, but it is definetly low-income housing and lots of illegals, half of my neighbors were mexicans.
I don't really know about the condos/apartments over there, but most of the listed homes are $300k+ in the immediate area (say, 48th to 64th St, Indian School to Oak). If that's low income, then I must be living in poverty.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:58 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,770,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
So you are assuming that all your "Mexican" neighbors were illegals?? You should get a job with Sheriff Joe-- you know all about profiling.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since you keep bringing up this point, it merited a response.

Back to topic.
No offense it is pretty easy to tell an illegal from an American with Mexican heritage, that area is over run by illegals.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:18 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,035,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative4Life View Post
No offense it is pretty easy to tell an illegal from an American with Mexican heritage, that area is over run by illegals.
I mentioned this in an up thread. The area west of Scottsdale Rd. between McDowell up to near Indian School has some issues. There are lots of illegals living here. I'm not a racist. I am aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area