Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 AM

137 posts, read 341,618 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, another neighborhood question. I'm in NY and it's getting down to the wire. We want to find a place for August 1st. I'm hoping to get back out there very soon so I can drive by these areas, but in the meantime, I'll rely on all of you knowlegeable locals.

By the way, in the last thread I started about another area, someone mentioned trying to rent from a snowbird for a month while we look around. I would love to do that, but we don't have that luxury because we have to pick a school. I suppose if we wanted to commit to a very specific area, we could still take that approach. Rent a temporary house, and then find another one in the same exact area, so we won't have to change schools.

I'm starting to consider the worst case scenario too - that we don't even find a temporary house in the right area, and we do some kind of extended stay hotel for a couple of months. Does anyone know how that would work with schools? Someone recently told me that you have to have a lease of some kind to register at a school. Is that true? I can't imagine that a school could turn me away if I'm living in the area.

My wife and I have seen a few houses in the area north of E. Bell and east of 56th. At least part of that area is known as Arabian Views. We like it a lot. It seems like a great area, but we just haven't found the right house.

Now there's one north of Bell between Tatum and 56th. Is anyone familiar with that area? Is it similar to the Arabian Views area? I know it's the same schools, which are supposed to be very good(Copper Canyon elementary). This house is definitely smaller than the ones we saw in Arabian Views, but it seems very nice.

While we're at it, anyone know what kind of commute my wife should expect from the Tatum/Bell intersection to the airport, at around 7 AM.

One other thing. We decided to pass on a house in Deer Valley, and one in Moon Valley. Both houses were very nice, but I didn't feel comfortable anchoring myself so far out, when I have no idea where I'll be working. Is anyone familiar with those areas? I'm guessing it would be a haul from either of those areas to Chandler, Mesa, or Gilbert, if I end up working down there.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:39 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
I used to live at Tatum and Bell, and my mother lived at 56th St and Bell, so I am very familiar with the area.

I love the area, lots of shopping, low crime rates, obviously there are some problems like anywhere you move, but if I was to recommend any area of Phoenix, I would always recommend this area.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:48 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Isn't there a thread just like this one already???

Yeah, it's a few threads down: https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...underbird.html

Old 07-13-2009, 06:08 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
Both of the areas you are inquiring about (Tatum & Thunderbird - PV Mall area and Bell between Tatum & 56th - Desert Ridge area) would be nice to live in. I personally prefer the "vibe" in Desert Ridge area, but that is just my personal opinion. You also have very close access to a hospital, Mayo Clinic at 56th & Mayo. Great access to the 101 at Tatum & 56th.

I am also suspecting the house near Desert Ridge is a tad bit pricier than the house by Thunderbird as well. My sister rented a house off 56th north of Bell (one of the girl's name's streets) when she was out for vacation last year. It was a very very nice house. Tho the house was (insanely IMHO) listed at $499K for 2000 SF with a pool. I don't know if it ever sold.

As far as commute from Tatum & Bell to the airport, my personal preference would be the 101 to 51 to 10 down to the airport that time of day. Anytime I have been on the 101 that wasn't a weekend and wasn't construction it was a bit let's just say challenging. ;-) Your patience may differ. Non-rush hour down the 51 to the airport 20-25 minutes.

Chandler, Mesa or Gilbert would be a bit of a haul from either of the locations you are inquiring about. Not hours long or anything, but I would guesstimate 25 miles plus. (I live near Desert Ridge and I know Chandler Fashion square is about 26 miles from me taking the 101.) I am by no means the local travel expert since I haven't lived here that long, so maybe one of the other posters can chime in.

On the school/extended stay thing, two suggestions. Call the school board and get it straight from the horse's mouth. Or enter into a short term lease. Most of the apartments out here will do short term leases-just you will pay a little more. Or as you suggested, rent a house in the area you intend to live.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post

Yeah, it's a few threads down: https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...underbird.html
Relax, FC. The OP of both threads is asking about two quite distinct areas, and the threads are titled as such. I don't think there is an issue with having two separate threads -- the same people aren't necessarily going to be knowledgeable about both areas, and the OP is in a time crunch to find housing, needing all the info he can get.

gsheridan-

If you are more likely to end up working in the east Valley, then passing on Deer Valley, or Moon Valley, which is further east, makes sense. The area east of Tatum north of Bell is all a good area.

From Tatum and Bell, (or 56th north of Bell) I would not drive two miles out of my way north to the 101 to come back south again at the very next exit, the 51. You can get to the 51 from any of the east/west arteries easily enough.

It's not a short commute from either place, but it's certainly doable.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post

Tatum and Bell and Tatum and Thunderbird are two totally different areas, sure they are within a few miles of each other, but the neighborhoods were built at totally different times. Are you new to phoenix? The quality of living can change within 1/2 a mile, really common in phoenix.

You can take the 51 down to the airport, from Bell rd it should not take more than 20 minutes.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:15 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Tatum and Bell and Tatum and Thunderbird are two totally different areas, sure they are within a few miles of each other, but the neighborhoods were built at totally different times. Are you new to phoenix? The quality of living can change within 1/2 a mile, really common in phoenix.

You can take the 51 down to the airport, from Bell rd it should not take more than 20 minutes.
Lived here for two years and born here, but I don't really go to that area of Phoenix. Nothing for me there besides having to drive through it on rare occasions. Looks very similar to me, not like leaving downtown and driving in to Willo or Encanto. To an outsider, the area looks the same, but you all are right, there might be differences beyond the outside look from the road!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:19 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Between Tatum and 56th, north of Bell is JUST FINE, nice suburban area, close to 2 freeways, easy distance to shopping for just about anything, low crime. . . still some "horse farm" areas not yet developed. . .

Old 07-13-2009, 08:10 PM

22 posts, read 65,796 times
I'm a native of Phoenix (3rd Generation), and I know the area you are asking about very well. We live about 2 miles South of there, but my Real Estate Business is focused heavily on that area. It is indeed a great neighborhood, but lately it has been very difficult for us to find "good deals" on homes for people that need to move in within 30-60 days. We are actually placing our clients in rental homes in the area, which gives them time to learn the area better, and, more importantly, capitalize on the short-sale/foreclosure market (buying a short sale can take 4-6 months). Hope this helps, and Good Luck!

Last edited by bobhertzog; 07-13-2009 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Delete Blog Address

Old 07-14-2009, 09:27 AM

137 posts, read 341,618 times
Thanks for all the great info everyone. We're still very seriously considering the house I mentioned between Tatum and 56th, and north of E. Bell.

The owner gave me the tel numbers of both previous renters, so I'll be able to find out how many kids are in the area, which is probably my biggest concern. I want to make the transition as easy as possible for my kids.

I'm having a little regret this morning about passing on the Moon Valley property. We found out that the house up in Deer Valley is going into foreclosure, so that one isn't a real possibility, but we could have had the one in Moon Valley.

We might still be able to get it. Anyone have an opinion on that area? It's just south of Greenway, and just west of Moon Valley Park. The elementary school sounds great, but I'm not sure about the higher schools. As far as commute to the airport, which is what my wife will be doing, it looks OK without traffic. But I think I remember reading on here that the 17 can be pretty congested during rush hour. Is that true? Does anyone know what kind of commute she would have from there?

Also, I'll eventually be looking for a software development job out there. It seems like most of the software development jobs are in Tempe, Chandler, and Scottsdale. Mileage wise, those all look reachable, but I'm guessing the commutes to those places from Moon Valley could exceed an hour,
and that's something I'd like to avoid. Anyone know how long those commutes would be.

observer53, I'm still looking in Tempe, but I can't seem to get my wife interested in any of the areas down there. I'd love to be really close, like Tempe or even Arcadia, if we could find a rental there, but she seems to like the newer areas. She likes new and big. I'd prefer a more modest house in an area much closer to the action - guess who's going to win that argument? I'll give you a hint. It's not the obsessive compulsive who has spent hundreds of hours on here, researching every corner of the Phoenix metro

Thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area