Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:43 PM

92 posts, read 473,429 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We were in your lovely state for 2 weeks and just returned home. We are 90% sure we are going back to AZ to live. We stayed at the Desert Ridge area and loved it. I would like to hear your thoughts on the area? My husband would work right by the Biltmore so he would take the 51 freeway. Any specific neighborhoods? We have a three year old so schools will be important because we don't want to move for a long time!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
It's a great area that is still expanding. It's a little on the expensive side, but if you can swing it, definitely a recommended area. I think really anywhere in that area, north of the 101, is a good spot, any of those neighborhoods.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 PM

69 posts, read 221,228 times
Default We live there!

My wife, 2yr old daughter, 6 month old son and I live in a house in Tatum Highlands (Tatum & Jomax), which is about 5 minutes north of Desert Ridge. We really like this particular area because it feels a bit "separated" from the city. We've lived here about 5.5 years. Tatum Ranch is just north of us, and it's very nice, too. All of these places have homeowner associations, but our cost is only about $230/yr.

There are a lot of young families, and a lot of kids. It has great convenience to the 51 to get to downtown, the 101E to get to Scottsdale and the East Valley, 101W to get to Glendale and the West side. This area north of the 101 and east of Cave Creek road was being referred to as the "golden triangle" because of it's extremely desirable proximity to highways, shopping, and good schools. It has also weathered the real estate market downturn better than other areas of Phoenix & Scottsdale.

As a previous poster mentioned, it is a little pricey. Our house is 2000 sq feet, no pool, 2 story with about 1/8 acre, and would probably sell for $390-$420k. We were lucky and got in when the house was $200k, about 6 months before the real estate market went crazy.

As for schools, you will be happy no matter which area you pick as kids will be either in Cave Creek schools (if you lived north of Jomax), which are very good, or any one of the local elementary schools are very good. I'd stay away from most of the charter schools in AZ.

The worst part about the area, to me, is the increasing traffic, especially around Desert Ridge shopping center. Getting in and out of that place on Friday or Saturday night after 6PM can really be a pain. Also, if you do look for a house in the area, ask your realtor about the parkway that is supposed to be built in about 10-15 years. It will substantially increase traffic in this area. Also, this whole area is a "desert" community (i.e. desert landscaping, etc), which some people don't like. It's a little "browner" looking than some of the areas in Scottsdale, Chandler, etc.

I can probably give you more info, but that's what comes off the top of my head. Fire off any specific questions and I'll try to answer, or PM me if you want to.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:08 AM

92 posts, read 473,429 times
It sounds like a great place to live. I saw they are building new homes at Tatum and Pinnacle Peak. ANy thoughts on that intersection? We do know it's pricey that way, but are willing to pay it. We live in Seattle now and found the prices out there to be lower than where we live.

I noticed some areas have Cave Creek schools, some have PV, and some Deer Valley. Is one better than the other? Also how west would you go, Cave Creek Rd? We would really like to be between Tatum and Scottsdale Rd. What do you know about houses off of Ashler Hills? I want a house with paved roads. We have friends that live out that way on an acre off a dirt road. It's beautiful, but a little too remote. As I was driving to their house I saw 2 Rattle snakes in the road! I love the desert I just want more of a community feel. Do you get lots of snakes in your neighborhood?

Where is that parkway you were referring to supposed to be?

Thanks!!!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 02:49 PM

69 posts, read 221,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleborn View Post
It sounds like a great place to live. I saw they are building new homes at Tatum and Pinnacle Peak. ANy thoughts on that intersection? We do know it's pricey that way, but are willing to pay it. We live in Seattle now and found the prices out there to be lower than where we live.

I noticed some areas have Cave Creek schools, some have PV, and some Deer Valley. Is one better than the other? Also how west would you go, Cave Creek Rd? We would really like to be between Tatum and Scottsdale Rd. What do you know about houses off of Ashler Hills? I want a house with paved roads. We have friends that live out that way on an acre off a dirt road. It's beautiful, but a little too remote. As I was driving to their house I saw 2 Rattle snakes in the road! I love the desert I just want more of a community feel. Do you get lots of snakes in your neighborhood?

Where is that parkway you were referring to supposed to be?

Thanks!!!!!
The schools are all good, but PV probably has the best overall "reputation."

Personally, I would want to live a bit east of Cave Creek as it's a vey busy road and not as quiet as the areas to the east. As you said, between Tatum & Scottsdale is a great area, with the home prices getting higher and the lots getting bigger the closer you get to Scottsdale Rd.

Our development borders Tatum Boulevard, but we are set back far enough that it's not a factor for us. We have all paved roads as it's a planned, landscaped subdivision. Houses are close together (some would say too close!) No dirt roads. Tatum Ranch would be the same way. The houses on dirt roads are too remote and desert-y for me, but those are usually ranch-types or larger lots to the East, like the Ashler Hills area. I also would NOT want to live in a house that backs up to Tatum, Dynamite, Dixileta, Pinnacle Peak or Jomax as the traffic noise would suck. Some of those roads may not seem busy if you visit, but they will be in a few years as more and more traffic moves into the area. For example, Jomax (I think) will eventually connect all the way to Scottsdale Road. Traffic will increase if/when that happens. In general, people sometimes drive a little fast and idiotic on Tatum during commute times.

The Sonoran parkway is supposed to be built around 40th street, which borders the west side of our subdivison. If you google "Sonoran Parkway" you may find a map.

I have lived in AZ for over 9 years and never seen a rattlesnake. I know people who have, but it's not typical in a subdivision with lots of houses and block walls in the backyard. A friend of ours lived in a house plopped in the desert close to Scottsdale and she used to see them once and a while. We have, however, had one scorpion in our house but that's the only one I've seen since living here. Scorpion bites on very little kids are not bad as long as they get attention fairly quickly. I asked our pediatrician about this right away because the scorp in our house appeared the day our daughter was born!

Whoops, I had to go back and edit this because I forgot to mention the Tatum/Pinnacle peak area where the new houses are going. I'd live there, it will be nice. Just don't get a lot that backs up to either of those streets. That's about 2 minutes south of where we live.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:44 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,622 times
The area is very nice. And pretty much everything is nearly brand new or still under construction or will be constructed in the near future. Mayo Clinic is just about 2 miles or so East of Desert Ridge. Scottsdale Rd is about 4 miles East of Desert Ridge. Which also puts you in promiximity to some really nice but slightly higher end shopping at Kierland. And golf. And spas. And restaurants. ;-)

Old 10-27-2007, 10:17 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Another big plus if you move to the area is the CityNorth development that is currently going up. Is right north of 101 and west of 56th St and is basically a Kierland Commons but bigger. They will have a Nordstroms and a Bloomingdales...plus more shops, residential, offices, etc. It's a mini urban area where you could live and walk to different things.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:26 AM

HX Guy, I heard about City North just didnt know that's where it was-I thought it was further west. Good that it will be close.

Where exactly is Palisene? Is that the big construction cranes just directly north of me (Scottsdale and 101)? That's supposed to be super nice too! The website says that will be 64th Street east to Scottsdale Rd.

So if City North is going to be from east of Desert Ridge at 56th Street...then the visual I am getting is they are essentially going to fill in nearly that entire 101 area from Desert Ridge to Scottsdale Rd? Or am I geographically incorrect? If I am right-super WOW! Major major developments.

They are also putting in a bunch of new retail and office at Scottsdale 101 at Mayo and Scottsdale (I live at Desert Club right across the street). Including a Whole Foods. Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant has already opened I think last week or so-->and the parking lot is full. (My sister says there is another one somewhere I think on Mill and that they have good food.)

So between Desert Ridge, City North, Scottsdale 101 and Palisene-it seems to be to be about 4 MILES worth of brand new live/work/shop/play??? Amazing! I come from Cleveland and we had absolutely nothing like that out there unless you count the very small Crocker Park in Westlake.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:28 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Ivana, although I love seeing new developments, especially shopping, what I don't like is the massive, choatic traffic that will follow. Desert Ridge, after a year or two after they built it I was going crazy with traffic up there, I can't imagine what will happen after everything is completed. Don't forget the massive 1500 unit condo development right there at 56th street, north of the 101. Yikes, if the traffic wasn't bad there before.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:56 PM

1500 condos????? OMG! That IS massive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area