Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 08:15 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Phoenix is a lot like what you see in small town America if you take a road trip. It seems every exit to these towns has a cluster of fast food joints, chain hotels, gas stations and they all look alike. Replicate one of those freeway off ramp clusters by a few 1000 and you have all the character and appeal of Phoenix.
Motels, coffee shops, fast food, and gas stations are plentiful near freeways for the purpose of convenience to travelers. These types of businesses can be found off freeway exits just about anywhere in the U.S., regardless if it's Phoenix, Houston, Indianapolis, or Cheyenne, WY. Does Small Town America have restaurants like Ocean, Compass, Dominick’s, or Benihana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 11:13 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,774,134 times
Oh boy that’s hard. It would depend where else they’ve lived in where in the valley they were moving to. For instance parts of Scottsdale are more like Denver area. Parts of chandler are like California (San Diego specifically) and the Midwest. Parts of Glendale remind me of parts of the Midwest as well.

More than anything though and something I think people forget is that we live in a desert. It’s desert terrain and there is a lot of brown. It is its own beauty. So in that regard it’s better than Albuquerque and Las Vegas. Much more developed and scenic.

ETA after I read the whole question: Pace is significantly slower (and more chill) than any major northern city I’ve lived in (Minneapolis, Seattle, nyc) and generally more laid back then any of the 33+ states I’ve been to so far. People aren’t chronically looking for something to be upset about. “Live and let live” really defines what I’ve experienced in the valley. Where I used to live you couldn’t go anywhere without someone trying to force their agenda on others and give you the stank eye if you didn’t oblige by their ways. I’ve yet to experience much of that. It may not be a beautiful place per se but it’s a happy place and people are overall friendly. I’ve lived all over the country and been to quite a few places and we deliberately chose to move back to Phoenix for various reasons.

Last edited by Minntoaz; 06-25-2022 at 11:21 PM..

Old 06-26-2022, 07:57 AM

39,082 posts, read 51,266,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Motels, coffee shops, fast food, and gas stations are plentiful near freeways for the purpose of convenience to travelers. These types of businesses can be found off freeway exits just about anywhere in the U.S., regardless if it's Phoenix, Houston, Indianapolis, or Cheyenne, WY. Does Small Town America have restaurants like Ocean, Compass, Dominick’s, or Benihana?
But the whole Phoenix metro looks like a freeway off ramp. Nothing but endless strip malls and power centers full of off ramp offerings.

Old 06-26-2022, 02:31 PM

74 posts, read 59,024 times
Overall very pretty and a good quality of life, BESIDES during the summes lol...

Fairly affordable COL and tax structure, pretty landscapes, pretty people, etc.

Good location to SD and Los Angeles beaches and great mountains....

I could see the overall Phoenix metro (including Scottsdale, Tempe, Gilbert, Mesa, etc.) as the "new/new Los Angeles" if people are calling it that.. But I could definitely see that.

*Just REALLY be aware of the summers though lol

Old 06-26-2022, 03:40 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,739,321 times
A unique city built in a unique backdrop, home to plant life not found anywhere else in the world along with stunning scenery and incredible sunsets. Everything I'm talking about/showing is basically central Phoenix from South Mountain to Phoenix Mountain Preserve. Like every other big city you can sprawl out to the burbs if you want but the heart beat of the metro is downtown. Although some of our burbs, like Tempe, are far from sprawling or boring.

- Charming historical neighborhoods including encanto palmcroft, FQ story, coronado and others.
- Surprising arts/culture scene (especially if you rely on this forum) including Roosevelt, Grand Ave, and Melrose districts
- Great foodie town, some unexpected such as the pizza scene like Pomo and Bianco, unique venues like Farish House and Sottise among others to be expected such as amazing Sonoran cuisine like Centrico in the historic San Carlos hotel.
- Great bar/nightlife scene, from the speak easy options such as Melinda's Alley and Valley Bar to the rooftop scene like Lusture to the more traditional options like Seamus McCaffreys and Kettle Black.
- Then there's the local breweries (Wilderness, Greenwood, Pedal Haus, State 48, Huss, etc..) Great local coffee spots (The Grand, Filmore Coffee, Press, Songbird)
- Cool live music options (Crescent, Van Buren, Lost Leaf, The Nash)

Old 06-26-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
But the whole Phoenix metro looks like a freeway off ramp. Nothing but endless strip malls and power centers full of off ramp offerings.
Yes, the WHOLE metro area is nothing but strip malls and power centers here. I'm sure every off-ramp includes offerings equal to MIM, Desert Botanical Garden, Heard Museum, Binkleys, Durants, Odysea, the Phoenix Zoo, The Biltmore, etc...

My personal photos endless power centers and strip malls below...

Old 06-26-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Just remember that those $5M+ homes/properties, most of those are second or third homes of people that live in Chicago/NYC/SFO etc.

We have 12 Billionaires that call AZ home, most on the list are actually home grown, true, but many traders/commodity brokers/etc. have bought properties to "get away" from the rat race of higher pressure metros.

And that's a negative on AZ how? Are you trying to make into a negative that extremely rich people want to have slice of Phoenix in their world?

Old 06-26-2022, 10:30 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,427,530 times
I once asked a teacher, when he was coming back to Phoenix. His response:. "That Hellhole?"...He had moved to Colombia...I was a certified Substitute in AZ for 18 years, now in Wyoming....so much more money here for k12.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:03 AM

817 posts, read 629,947 times
Phoenix = Desert Los Angeles filled with Midwestern transplants

Old 06-27-2022, 07:31 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,883,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Phoenix = Desert Los Angeles filled with Midwestern transplants
Technically no. Numerically, the west coast predominates.

Inflow into Phoenix for the period 2015-2019:

CA 38,845
WA 10,026
TX 9,574
IL 9,414
CO 8,089
OR 6,538
UT 5,451
MN 5,398
FL 5,183
NM 5,169

https://azbigmedia.com/business/10-s...ts-to-arizona/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area