Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2022, 12:33 AM

358 posts, read 222,799 times

Advertisements

Being a native-born in Phoenix (1969) I would say that it is getting overcrowded and smells. The west side of the valley is not safe for most to walk down the street after dark unlike my youth when it was very safe and family-friendly. My family all started successful businesses that were operated from the west side of Phoenix. They loved their neighbours, the community that was growing and flourishing- it was safe and clean. Skip to today where only a few small areas in Phoenix remain like this and sadly most others are undesirable to live in unless you are secure in maintaining your safety and require only the bare minimum in living quarters, don't mind looking at run-down old buildings, a stench in the air that stays with you, temperatures that reach over 100 for 5 months of the year, every minority given everything over you, schools that are failing to teach at a respectable and competitive level (unless its teaching bilingual classes or Spanish), politicians that are some of the most corrupt in the country, and property that will never be valued like the East valley even on its worst day- if you are willing to settle for this then I say Phoenix is your place!! If you like living with bars on your windows and or security gates and alarms on everything you love and a police department that will not respond unless a weapon(gun) is involved at the moment (will tell you to fill out a report online if not involving weapon) then yes Phoenix is wonderful!! I'm sure I have left out some more of the upside of Phoenix since I try to avoid thinking or visiting that area as often as I can - I will let you know as they come to me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 08:02 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchz View Post
Being a native-born in Phoenix (1969) I would say that it is getting overcrowded and smells. The west side of the valley is not safe for most to walk down the street after dark unlike my youth when it was very safe and family-friendly. My family all started successful businesses that were operated from the west side of Phoenix. They loved their neighbours, the community that was growing and flourishing- it was safe and clean. Skip to today where only a few small areas in Phoenix remain like this and sadly most others are undesirable to live in unless you are secure in maintaining your safety and require only the bare minimum in living quarters, don't mind looking at run-down old buildings, a stench in the air that stays with you, temperatures that reach over 100 for 5 months of the year, every minority given everything over you, schools that are failing to teach at a respectable and competitive level (unless its teaching bilingual classes or Spanish), politicians that are some of the most corrupt in the country, and property that will never be valued like the East valley even on its worst day- if you are willing to settle for this then I say Phoenix is your place!! If you like living with bars on your windows and or security gates and alarms on everything you love and a police department that will not respond unless a weapon(gun) is involved at the moment (will tell you to fill out a report online if not involving weapon) then yes Phoenix is wonderful!! I'm sure I have left out some more of the upside of Phoenix since I try to avoid thinking or visiting that area as often as I can - I will let you know as they come to me!!
100% B.S. I'm not guessing, I lived in the West Valley for 10 years. As a reminder, the West Valley is home to hundreds of square miles of real estate including Sun City, Sun City West, Sun City Grand, Surprise (which is the 2nd safest City in AZ and MUCH safer than the national average), Litchfield Park, Goodyear, Wadell, etc. Most areas of Peoria are also ultra-safe too. I just listed millions of people and a thousand square miles of area. I'd walk any time of the day! No question about it!

Now, if your point was there are sketchy parts of El Mirage, Glendale, Tolleson, and a small section of Buckeye, then we agree. I wholeheartedly agree that the East Valley, where I live now, is up a level or two as compared with the West Valley. No question about it. JFC, there are no "bars on windows" in nearly all of the Cities I listed in the paragraph above. Sorry, your glass is 3/4 empty. I'm glad I'm not paranoid.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:15 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
100% B.S. I'm not guessing, I lived in the West Valley for 10 years. As a reminder, the West Valley is home to hundreds of square miles of real estate including Sun City, Sun City West, Sun City Grand, Surprise (which is the 2nd safest City in AZ and MUCH safer than the national average), Litchfield Park, Goodyear, Wadell, etc. Most areas of Peoria are also ultra-safe too. I just listed millions of people and a thousand square miles of area. I'd walk any time of the day! No question about it!

Now, if your point was there are sketchy parts of El Mirage, Glendale, Tolleson, and a small section of Buckeye, then we agree. I wholeheartedly agree that the East Valley, where I live now, is up a level or two as compared with the West Valley. No question about it. JFC, there are no "bars on windows" in nearly all of the Cities I listed in the paragraph above. Sorry, your glass is 3/4 empty. I'm glad I'm not paranoid.
That poster might be referring to the west side of Phoenix, not the west Valley suburbs you mentioned. If that's the case, then he/she has a valid point. Much of west Phoenix has been allowed to become crime infested & run down. Maryvale has been that way for a long time, but the sketchiness spread into other neighborhoods like Alhambra and the Metrocenter area. I wouldn’t quite call these areas ghettos, but definitely seedy. Also very bland. You're definitely correct that the east Valley is superior overall, and much of east Phoenix is higher quality than the west side.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:11 PM

249 posts, read 166,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Global Citizen View Post
Not going back and forth on the small percentage of people who retire in SF. SF is currently experiencing a reverse migration. The people who retire in SF are not traditional American earners. To "retire" in SF you're going to spend $1.5m unless you live in a $800k 1BR condo. The average home in America is less than $250k. So do people retire in SF? Yes. You are correct. Are we pulling hairs to really act like people are retiring in SF? Yes. We are pulling hairs. SF is simply unattainable and unaffordable to 99.5% of the population.
According to this 23% of San Francisco are over 60 and growing. Many Asians do no want to relocate to areas without the convenience of getting Asian groceries. Also if homes are owned, their property tax only increase by 2% under prop 13. https://www.sfhsa.org/about/reports-...-san-francisco

No, not easy to move into San Francisco for those who are trying to relocate to city. But, if you already own, it is doable and convenient. Also, there is the convenience of languages whether Asian or Hispanic.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasudesu View Post
According to this 23% of San Francisco are over 60 and growing. Many Asians do no want to relocate to areas without the convenience of getting Asian groceries. Also if homes are owned, their property tax only increase by 2% under prop 13. https://www.sfhsa.org/about/reports-...-san-francisco

No, not easy to move into San Francisco for those who are trying to relocate to city. But, if you already own, it is doable and convenient. Also, there is the convenience of languages whether Asian or Hispanic.
Actually, a better metric is >65. In San Fran, that number >65 years old is 13% https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-ca-population . [b]In AZ, 48% of the people are over 65/ years old [b] https://www.azeconomy.org/2020/07/ec...so-is-the-u-s/

Old 07-13-2022, 02:34 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,066,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
In AZ, 48% of the people are over 65/ years old https://www.azeconomy.org/2020/07/ec...so-is-the-u-s/
You misread the statistic. It says the population of 65+ grew by 48% during 2010-2019.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
You misread the statistic. It says the population of 65+ grew by 48% during 2010-2019.
My bad. See https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/phoenixcityarizona Now this is PHX proper. But it is 11% >65 years of age. A little surprise...

Old 07-13-2022, 03:24 PM

859 posts, read 682,337 times
Hot LA

Old 07-14-2022, 08:11 PM

135 posts, read 124,882 times
I would describe Phoenix metro as a convenient urban sprawl with something for every price point. Several parts of Scottsdale feel like the best parts of Orange County. Several parts of Phoenix feel like the best (and worst) parts of LA and Vegas. The overall Metro has a Riverside/LA County feel. Overall, there is no other LA, Vegas, or Orange County. However, Phoenix metro will remain residents from those places of the place they call home.

Old 07-15-2022, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Global Citizen View Post
I would describe Phoenix metro as a convenient urban sprawl with something for every price point. Several parts of Scottsdale feel like the best parts of Orange County. Several parts of Phoenix feel like the best (and, worst) parts of LA and Vegas. The overall Metro has a Riverside/LA County feel. Overall, there is no other LA, Vegas, or Orange County. However, Phoenix metro will remain residents from those places of the place they call home.
Excellent summary ^^! There is a large gradient of demographics, views, and overall "feel" across this metro area. As I mentioned before, those who see "tan stucco boxes and a sea of strip malls" obviously hang out in those areas. In my day-to-day world, I see amazing views of the Mazatzal, McDowell, and Black mountains. I quickly get a radically different cowboy feel with Cave Creek, Rio Verde, and parts of North Scottsdale. And when I shop or dine, I'm enjoying the best that North Scottsdale has to offer. Often, I head out to the Kierland commons area or shop around spots near Desert Ridge. So my optics are skewed too because I rarely go outside of my 200-square-mile cocoon. Sure, I might have to drive through a moderately seedy area like all of the trucking/freight companies which are located South of the 10 around Lower Buckeye. When I can, I dodge those areas.

I was talking with a customer from the Bay Area on the phone yesterday who was surprised by how much he liked PHX. He was in Scottsdale for a week and told me how his trip exceeded his expectation. When I asked what he expected, he said "Vegas without the gambling". We had friends visit this winter from MN. They didn't expect to see such beauty. He commented on how well everything was put together. IMO, I am enjoying the best views the PHX area has to offer.

For others, I'm not central enough or there isn't enough culture. Since priorities are subjective, I guess they are right. Including Miss "My Glass is 3/4 empty". To each their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Yes, Yes, Yes! Phoenix is the main drug trail to the rest of the country so it doesn't attract enough high level quality individuals. I was stranded there over a decade but it did make a wonderful sight in my rear view mirror when I did leave for the Bay Area. Mental stimulation is necessary for survival in my opinion.
As they say, you only live once! That clich'e becomes more relevant as we age. So for me, I'm a happy camper. Life is too short to compromise. If you are not happy, pick a different spot with a new set of real-life trade-offs. I've found a good blend and I'm sticking with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area