Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2022, 10:28 AM

13,703 posts, read 7,979,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Excellent summary ^^! There is a large gradient of demographics, views, and overall "feel" across this metro area. As I mentioned before, those who see "tan stucco boxes and a sea of strip malls" obviously hang out in those areas. In my day-to-day world, I see amazing views of the Mazatzal, McDowell, and Black mountains. I quickly get a radically different cowboy feel with Cave Creek, Rio Verde, and parts of North Scottsdale. And when I shop or dine, I'm enjoying the best that North Scottsdale has to offer. Often, I head out to the Kierland commons area or shop around spots near Desert Ridge. So my optics are skewed too because I rarely go outside of my 200-square-mile cocoon. Sure, I might have to drive through a moderately seedy area like all of the trucking/freight companies which are located South of the 10 around Lower Buckeye. When I can, I dodge those areas.

I was talking with a customer from the Bay Area on the phone yesterday who was surprised by how much he liked PHX. He was in Scottsdale for a week and told me how his trip exceeded his expectation. When I asked what he expected, he said "Vegas without the gambling". We had friends visit this winter from MN. They didn't expect to see such beauty. He commented on how well everything was put together. IMO, I am enjoying the best views the PHX area has to offer.

For others, I'm not central enough or there isn't enough culture. Since priorities are subjective, I guess they are right. Including Miss "My Glass is 3/4 empty". To each their own.

As they say, you only live once! That clich'e becomes more relevant as we age. So for me, I'm a happy camper. Life is too short to compromise. If you are not happy, pick a different spot with a new set of real-life trade-offs. I've found a good blend and I'm sticking with it.

You don't like the extreme summer weather and can afford to move to an area with a better climate... go for it. Life is too short to constantly be unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 10:59 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's called capitalism, which isn't perfect, but it's the best system by far. Competitiveness is what stimulates business, creates an ethic to work harder, and helps keep prices under control. Contrary to what you stated, one of the biggest problems in our society is the slovenly attitude of doing minimal work, and expecting the government to pick up the slack. But I guess I'm not surprised at your attitude. This comes from somebody who thinks Phoenix is a great city simply because of our sunny climate.
()
Is China capitalist?

Old 07-19-2022, 10:00 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
My bad. See https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/phoenixcityarizona Now this is PHX proper. But it is 11% >65 years of age. A little surprise...

No surprise at all, Phoenix is a pretty young city. The job expansions happening here including Intel, TSMC, and Carvana are not targeting the 65+ demographic. By comparison Denver sits at a bit over 12%, Boston is right around 12% and SLC is 11.6%.

Old 07-19-2022, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Global Citizen View Post
I would describe Phoenix metro as a convenient urban sprawl with something for every price point. Several parts of Scottsdale feel like the best parts of Orange County. Several parts of Phoenix feel like the best (and worst) parts of LA and Vegas. The overall Metro has a Riverside/LA County feel. Overall, there is no other LA, Vegas, or Orange County. However, Phoenix metro will remain residents from those places of the place they call home.
What part of Riverside county feels like downtown Phoenix, downtown Scottsdale or downtown Tempe? Including the rapidly densifying urban area around one of the nation's largest university campuses at ASU?

Last edited by locolife; 07-19-2022 at 10:15 PM..

Old 07-19-2022, 11:00 PM

4,171 posts, read 2,566,993 times
"Six months of heaven, and six months of hell."

Old 07-20-2022, 09:59 PM

567 posts, read 430,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxGirl5 View Post
I was just about to come here and ask that, for those who have been living in the Phoenix area for the past decade.

I was born in East Phoenix in the 90s and I have not been since the 2000s..but looking at things from afar, it looks like modern day Phoenix resembles what Los Angeles did back in the 90s. I wondered if it qualifies as the "New LA" in terms of look/feel.

This thread gave me an ego bruise since it's my birthplace, lol. I live in Seattle now but I come to this forum for the nostalgia.
Phoenix is one of a kind. It's a new and modern city. Phoenix can expand east, west, north and south, without any physical barriers. Not so for LA. The San Gabriel Mountian range to north and Pacific Ocean to the west limit future expansion. Phoenix will never resemble LA. LA City is no longer expanding. Instead, they're building up. and rapidly expanding rail and subway transit, bike ways and bus ways in preparation for the 2028 Olympics. Some day Phoenix will host world events, but they're not there yet.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Mix of Las Vegas and Los Angeles in terms of appearance.

Tempe is really cool if you're a young person.

It's not bad.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:26 PM

5,921 posts, read 2,755,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
What part of Riverside county feels like downtown Phoenix, downtown Scottsdale or downtown Tempe? Including the rapidly densifying urban area around one of the nation's largest university campuses at ASU?
Exactly. There is no way Phoenix compares to Riverside MSA. Lazy people look at the population similarities and assume they're the same. They are no where near the same. Those same people have never lived in either MSA, btw.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:30 PM

5,921 posts, read 2,755,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Phoenix is one of a kind. It's a new and modern city. Phoenix can expand east, west, north and south, without any physical barriers. Not so for LA. The San Gabriel Mountian range to north and Pacific Ocean to the west limit future expansion. Phoenix will never resemble LA. LA City is no longer expanding. Instead, they're building up. and rapidly expanding rail and subway transit, bike ways and bus ways in preparation for the 2028 Olympics. Some day Phoenix will host world events, but they're not there yet.
Rapidly expanding? I mean LA is opening a couple rail lines that will do nothing to relieve congestion in the overall region, also the types of people taking the rail there are not the same types of people taking the rail in Boston or New York.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Do you now know Phoenix very well? There is limited ability to grow further West, East, and South due to other cities, mountains and Native American Reservations. Phoenix can grow North but that starts to get limited really soon as well. Phoenix is nearly landlocked, Tempe is 100% land locked, Scottsdale is landlocked and other popular east valley communities are in similar situations such as Chandler and Gilbert. Phoenix is also growing up and adding 42 miles of rail to the already existing 28 miles, Tempe just opened a street car system, the airport has expanded the PHX sky train to 6 miles connecting with light rail and to the rental car facility.

Phoenix has an expansive and expanding bikeway plan, they're just finishing up adding 176 miles to it which is just the city of phoenix.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...022/910518001/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area