Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2022, 02:57 PM

13,745 posts, read 8,048,800 times

Advertisements

It's very "corporate" feeling. Very "American" in the blandest sense possible.

It's a giant suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 04:21 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,235,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It's very "corporate" feeling.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It's very "corporate" feeling. Very "American" in the blandest sense possible.

It's a giant suburb.
I get what you’re saying as that’s exactly how I describe Dallas. It’s like a gray cubicle. Phoenix has some uniqueness to it though, so I disagree. The cacti, beautiful sunsets, mountain views, outdoor recreation, etc.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:47 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,310,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Our traffic is NOTHING like Southern California. We just have fewer choices of freeways to get to a certain destination.
Traffic in general flows pretty smoothly here outside of rush hour, and I attribute this largely to our lack of inclement weather conditions, efficient grid system, and wide streets/freeways. HOWEVER: when there's even a minor accident, a sea of brake lights emerge, and the traffic flow seemingly grinds to a halt because of all the gawkers. Throw in a major accident, and the entire freeway is shut down. Then there are the countless weekends when our wonderful department of transportation decides to close entire sections of freeways, which gives us even fewer choices.

So yes, our traffic overall isn't bad compared to L.A. But as another poster stated, L.A. is a huge metro area that has over 18 million people, compared with just under 5 million in Phoenix. I've never experienced heavy traffic in San Diego, except around the beaches. Here again, there's a noticeable population difference: much smaller than L.A., and somewhat smaller than Phoenix. San Diego also has a pretty efficient freeway system, which certainly helps.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I get what you’re saying as that’s exactly how I describe Dallas. It’s like a gray cubicle. Phoenix has some uniqueness to it though, so I disagree. The cacti, beautiful sunsets, mountain views, outdoor recreation, etc.
I could have understood his point and connected the dots if he said Dallas has a "corporate feeling". Because DT Dallas has almost no character and is full of more modern-looking glass buildings (a.k.a. bland). Meh. Much like Vancouver, BC which is pushed even further towards that vibe. And even more of a bustling city. DT Vancouver has no life during the weekends and holidays.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Traffic in general flows pretty smoothly here outside of rush hour, and I attribute this largely to our lack of inclement weather conditions, efficient grid system, and wide streets/freeways. HOWEVER: when there's even a minor accident, a sea of brake lights emerge, and the traffic flow seemingly grinds to a halt because of all the gawkers. Throw in a major accident, and the entire freeway is shut down.
During rush hour, you just described any major metro highway. Though generally, traffic still moves slowly if you get several lanes away from the accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
So yes, our traffic overall isn't bad compared to L.A. But as another poster stated, L.A. is a huge metro area that has over 18 million people, compared with just under 5 million in Phoenix.
LA Country is home to 10M people. Orange County is 3.2 million. How did you come up with 18 million? Whatever the reason, there is absolutely no comparison as LA has multiple times worse rush hours. That was Kurt's point.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:09 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,586,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
LA Country is home to 10M people. Orange County is 3.2 million. How did you come up with 18 million? Whatever the reason, there is absolutely no comparison as LA has multiple times worse rush hours. That was Kurt's point.
The larger "combined statistical area" includes Ventura, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties in addition to Los Angeles and Orange. Personally, I see Orange as its own area.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:19 AM

13,978 posts, read 8,140,939 times
One thing I have noticed in Chandler is the access to the 202 has greatly improved. From Mesa I take the 202 and exit at Val Vista. Then drive straight until I reach Basha High school which is 4.5 mile away. I bought rental property in that area in 2011 and reaching the 202 was a major drawback. There was only one road going to and from the freeway. Much of the area at the time appeared to be farm land.

In recent years new housing developments have been built and last year two more lanes were added on each side of the road. Reaching the 202 from my rental property is much faster today. You can drive that 4.5 mile stretch going 40-45 miles an hour. (Although to be honest I've not driven it recently during rush hour. Only off hours which were also slow a few years back.)

Last edited by john3232; 08-11-2022 at 09:53 AM..

Old 08-11-2022, 09:45 AM

11,093 posts, read 6,982,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The larger "combined statistical area" includes Ventura, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties in addition to Los Angeles and Orange. Personally, I see Orange as its own area.
Huh? Orange County is part of the sprawl.

Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside counties are all further away than Orange County.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,628,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I could have understood his point and connected the dots if he said Dallas has a "corporate feeling". Because DT Dallas has almost no character and is full of more modern-looking glass buildings (a.k.a. bland). Meh. Much like Vancouver, BC which is pushed even further towards that vibe. And even more of a bustling city. DT Vancouver has no life during the weekends and holidays.
DT Vancouver has the highest density of any city in Canada. It's busy on weekends, especially holidays.

There are just too many people living there to give it a dead vibe.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/down...res-statistics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area