Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 12:59 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times

Advertisements

Phoenix is a lot like what you see in small town America if you take a road trip. It seems every exit to these towns has a cluster of fast food joints, chain hotels, gas stations and they all look alike. Replicate one of those freeway off ramp clusters by a few 1000 and you have all the character and appeal of Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 01:26 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,269,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
And all the haters come out to play
Ain't it the truth?

Old 06-22-2022, 01:35 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,644,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
I think most everyone was writing about Phoenix as a city mainly, not Arizona as a state.
That makes more sense to me. I'll agree that the city of Phoenix itself is lacking in some areas.
I live out by Usery Mountain pass so I'm a bit more rural. That's a plus for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Life's about balance. Give and take. Many people around here are in the hella dope bro crowd but the weather is beautiful most of the year, it's an outdoorsman's paradise, and we have a great beer scene. Balance.
Agreed. The last 11 years here have been good to me. Things are very balanced in my life so my views tend to be overly optimistic for some.
Life is good.

Old 06-22-2022, 01:36 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Dallas with cacti. Huge, sprawling, pretentious, terrible drivers.
Ha! I was going to say L.A., but actually the drivers are pretty good over there. The weak don't last long...

Old 06-22-2022, 03:18 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Ha! I was going to say L.A., but actually the drivers are pretty good over there. The weak don't last long...
Driving in Phoenix is a contact sport. I would drive the north side of Loop 101 twice a day and I always felt like I was taking my life in my hands. Nothing like doing 75 or 80 in the right lane and still being tailgated...! The only other place I felt that was on the Central Expressway in Dallas.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:35 PM

135 posts, read 124,649 times
Interesting responses. I expected more positively given the interest in moving to this metro. I've lived all over the country, mostly in all the major metros. Nothing is perfect in this country. The more diverse and sophisticated, the more likely the price tag will be disrespectful (e.g. Manhattan, Orange County, CA, SF). The more space and lower cost of living, the more likely the social/political/cultural alignment will be against your personal preference (e.g. Deep South). Phoenix is changing by the day. The real estate market is the main indicator. Of single family homes $5m+, only NY and LA metros have more listings. Of all properties $5m+, only NY, LA, MIA, SF, and SD have more listings. Always follow the money in business. Always follow the money in cities. No city has made an economical leap on paper as much as Phoenix in the 21st century.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:36 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Global Citizen View Post
Interesting responses. I expected more positively given the interest in moving to this metro. I've lived all over the country, mostly in all the major metros. Nothing is perfect in this country. The more diverse and sophisticated, the more likely the price tag will be disrespectful (e.g. Manhattan, Orange County, CA, SF). The more space and lower cost of living, the more likely the social/political/cultural alignment will be against your personal preference (e.g. Deep South). Phoenix is changing by the day. The real estate market is the main indicator. Of single family homes $5m+, only NY and LA metros have more listings. Of all properties $5m+, only NY, LA, MIA, SF, and SD have more listings. Always follow the money in business. Always follow the money in cities. No city has made an economical leap on paper as much as Phoenix in the 21st century.
Just remember that those $5M+ homes/properties, most of those are second or third homes of people that live in Chicago/NYC/SFO etc.

We have 12 Billionaires that call AZ home, most on the list are actually home grown, true, but many traders/commodity brokers/etc. have bought properties to "get away" from the rat race of higher pressure metros.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:27 AM

13,703 posts, read 7,984,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
When I was younger the Phoenix valley was like a big cow town. Now it's bigger, more crowded and much more expensive.

Downtown has improved but still not a big draw. More urban centers sprung up away from Downtown. Things are scattered all around and people drive everywhere, which is why the traffic has worsened.

Summers are very hot, 110-115 is pretty common. The rest of the year has awesome weather.

Jobs are plentiful but there's an abundance of low and mid-range careers and a lot less opportunity to get into the higher brackets. Self-employed people seem to do pretty well here especially in property management.

The worst part about Phoenix is the drivers. Speeding aggressive maniacs all around. The souped-up cars and raised trucks are the worst of all, and there are more than enough of those out there.

Phoenix seems to be a clean city compared to LA and especially Detroit, Philadelphia or Baltimore. Those cities are segregated and entire neighborhoods are determined by ethnicity. Phoenix is integrated and doesn't have the awful ghettos like many cities do.

My home town is LA and I like visiting but I'd never go back there to live. Phoenix is no utopia but it's home to me and other cities are much more dangerous and dirty in comparison.
I'll be visiting SF where I grew up next month SF and my brother thinks Pacific Paradise in LA where he lives is well... paradise. To be sure it is quite nice and there are still areas of SF which have charm but unless you are very wealthy forget it.

I live in Mesa 85205 and have noticed the political diversity (lawn sign were split between Biden/Trump in 2020.) My most recent neighbors are a young white couple (or at least compared to me...) who moved here this year from out of state. Husband works in the medical field.

There's no place which is perfect. My mother lived in an apartment complex in the Hillcrest district of San Diego for ten years. It was fairly common to see panhandlers, the homeless and people passed out on the sidewalk Sat/Sunday morning within a block of where she lived. (Hillcrest has a large gay population. I'll assume the fellows I saw passed out on the sidewalk were there as a result of too much of whatever the night before.)

SF (imo) has the best weather and it's a small city so you don't need a car. But like LA the cost of housing is outrageous. The area in downtown Phx not far from the Japanese garden reminds me of the Mission district in SF. A lot of young white people who I suspect have money enjoying a Sunday morning at a café while the riff-raff shuffles along the sidewalk past them.

Last edited by john3232; 06-23-2022 at 10:43 AM..

Old 06-23-2022, 04:38 PM

132 posts, read 88,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Global Citizen View Post
Phoenix is one of those big metros that often gets overlooked on the West Coast by LA, SF, and Vegas. For all those people who have never visited or lived in the Phoenix Metro, how would you describe the area re: vibe, pace, tolerance, etc?
I would it's horrible and in no way compares to California, Chicago or New York and they should stay put.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:01 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,323 times
The phoenix area is one big sprawling suburb. Some parts have a unique character and you can't say it's one homogenous group of people. Very much a relaxed west coast vibe, with a slower pace compared with the east coast apart from the aggressive drivers. Tolerance wise you have a wide mix of everything. In fact I would say phoenix is very much average in almost every characteristic except climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area