Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 05:44 PM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
COVID killed the low hanging fruit (old people in congregate settings). Death rates are down everywhere. I hope they stay that way, but it depends on the millions of vulnerable who survived the spring to keep protecting themselves. Looking around, I see a lot of fat old people running around, many without masks, going to restaurants, etc. It may just be a matter of time until this mid-hanging fruit is plucked.

I saw today that the modal age of the cases being found in Florida is 21! AZ doesn't give very detailed numbers, but from what I am hearing from the "inside" the age of the patients now is much younger. They get large amounts of oxygen for a few days and then go home, rather miserable but alive.
Let's see... People that are older (not as good of an immune system) and fat (a major risk factor per https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/06/01/david...esity-covid-19 ) are dumb. I guess they want to roll the dice.

Read that link in detail as the information is fascinating. Similar information is what motivated me to drop my BMI in the normal range (I lost 35 pounds). I'm going to knock another 10 pounds and settle in at 180 pounds (6'2") while adding muscle. It was actually pretty easy. My BP nose-dived from 140/85 to 110/60. I am not in the mood to land in an ICU.

I was talking with a customer of mine today who sells for Philips inside of hospitals. He said the doctor fears are the Flu+COVID (the same people). Old people may be dropping like flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 06:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Let's see... People that are older (not as good of an immune system) and fat (a major risk factor per https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/06/01/david...esity-covid-19 ) are dumb. I guess they want to roll the dice.

Read that link in detail as the information is fascinating. Similar information is what motivated me to drop my BMI in the normal range (I lost 35 pounds). I'm going to knock another 10 pounds and settle in at 180 pounds (6'2") while adding muscle. It was actually pretty easy. My BP nose-dived from 140/85 to 110/60. I am not in the mood to land in an ICU.

I was talking with a customer of mine today who sells for Philips inside of hospitals. He said the doctor fears are the Flu+COVID (the same people). Old people may be dropping like flies.
And yet when I’m out, the people not wearing masks are usually old, fat, rough looking. Usually at least two out of three. I think the answer is easy. Those that know how to take care of themselves want to remain health. When someone respects themselves, they tend to also respect others.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:35 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
And yet when I’m out, the people not wearing masks are usually old, fat, rough looking. Usually at least two out of three. I think the answer is easy. Those that know how to take care of themselves want to remain health. When someone respects themselves, they tend to also respect others.
You're so scientific...It isn't appropriate to show bias based on peoples looks unless they are old, fat, rough looking? I guess only the things on your social justice hit list are protected?

Old 07-06-2020, 07:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
I didn't hear that he admitted that he botched it. I'm not doubting that things are not looking good, but rather that he would admit it. In fact, do you think this sound like someone that we know in our country?

"But Tegnell objected to Kluge's warning (of a massive increase in cases), saying that WHO officials were misinterpreting Sweden's epidemiological data. In Tegnell's view, the rise in new cases is due to a recent bump in testing. He added that Sweden is seeing a relatively low number of admissions to intensive care units, along with a decline in COVID-19 deaths." from https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...-total-mistake
Even the Swedish Prime Minister is questioning Tegnell's "experiment"

Sweden's prime minister has ordered an inquiry into the country's decision not to impose a coronavirus lockdown after the country suffered thousands more deaths than its closest neighbours.
"We have thousands of dead," Swedish prime minister Stefan Lofven said at a press conference on Wednesday, while admitting that the country's handling had exposed Sweden's "shortcomings,"
"In the autumn there will be a second wave," Tegnell told the Financial Times. "Sweden will have a high level of immunity and the number of cases will probably be quite low."

However, the strategy appears to have failed, with recent data suggesting the virus has spread faster in Sweden since Tegnell's remarks two months ago, while failing to stimulate sufficient antibodies in the community to prevent a second wave. A study published in May suggested that a small number of people in Stockholm, 7.3%, had developed coronavirus antibodies, casting doubt over whether Sweden could achieve herd immunity in the near future. https://www.businessinsider.com/swed...ockdown-2020-7

I have family in Sweden and they told me that the patients in nursing homes were basically given morphine to stop their suffering and nothing else. The nursing homes are mostly staffed by immigrants who speak several different languages and have little to no training so they weren't even allowed to administer oxygen to the patients in the homes, the doctors usually do tele-visits and never see their patients They said there is at least one investigation into the treatment of nursing home patients claiming that there was no care but rather patients were euthanized with large does of morphine and haldol

Old 07-06-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You're so scientific...It isn't appropriate to show bias based on peoples looks unless they are old, fat, rough looking? I guess only the things on your social justice hit list are protected?
Of course it’s not scientific. I’m simply sharing my observations. How is that biased?

Old 07-06-2020, 08:27 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times
July will tell us the story for Phoenix metro area. Human behavior is our best hope for changing the trend, IMO. There’s no stomach for more closures, and a medical solution is still in the distance.

Mask orders went into effect Jun 17-19. It takes about a month to see the effect from an action, and then we need to allow 7-10 days for reporting to be wrapped. So by the end of the month we need to see a notable downtrend in the moving average line by about July 20.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:48 PM

770 posts, read 837,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Of course it’s not scientific. I’m simply sharing my observations. How is that biased?
My observations driving through Guadalupe nobody is wearing a mask. Stopped by a Taco shop and not one Mexican was wearing a mask. Went to the Walmart at Priest and Elliot the only people not wearing masks were Mexicans. No wonder they are the hardest hit right now. Rip Nana!

Guess it wasn't smart enough for them to congregate at the mostly peace protests now they are super spreading. Good news only 1 death and the death rate is the same as went there were 300 new cases a day.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
My observations driving through Guadalupe nobody is wearing a mask. Stopped by a Taco shop and not one Mexican was wearing a mask. Went to the Walmart at Priest and Elliot the only people not wearing masks were Mexicans. No wonder they are the hardest hit right now. Rip Nana!

Guess it wasn't smart enough for them to congregate at the mostly peace protests now they are super spreading. Good news only 1 death and the death rate is the same as went there were 300 new cases a day.
Isn’t Guadalupe mostly natives? Yaquis I think.

If the death rate is the same as it was when we had 300 cases, that means with 3-4K cases per day, we are losing a ton of people. How exactly is that good news?

Old 07-06-2020, 11:25 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
It hasn't dawned on you yet that you can remove the words "very few". Rather, it can be noted that not a single technical mind who studies this topic has even brought it up. Zero, nadda, ziltch. For most, that would be all that they needed to hear.

If PHX did some more testing on the origin of the virus, maybe they would also have concluded that the more contagious coronavirus G614 strain/mutation is a big reason why our infection rate is higher than other states (G614 strain is touted to be 10x more infectious). After all, Houston seems to be more prone to the G614 strain (google it). I've been looking to see if PHX is dominated by the G614 strain but so far nothing has been published. Read more about it here https://www.biospace.com/article/mut...re-contagious/ Time will tell....

Or maybe the fact that TX, CA, AZ, and FL have many more Hispanics than the northern states (hence my homogenous population comment that was reflected in asufan post). remember, dozens of papers have suggested that heat and humidity help reduce the infection rate. The only question that ever mattered was would it be enough to overcome larger variables. We have an answer and it is a resounding no.
It hasn't dawned on you that "technical minds" aren't always accurate. In fact, they've been incorrect on a number of occasions. Both the CDC and WHO were confident early on in saying masks were unnecessary. The Surgeon General even made a statement for the public to quit buying masks because they're ineffective. Now all of them have done a complete 180.

So much for "technical minds" who spend most of their time crunching data and writing research papers, but provide no real solutions or action. It shouldn't be any too surprising that they can't seem to wake up from their statistical nerd fest & employ some common sense intelligence. Perhaps if they did, they could actually see the largest spikes lately are occurring in the hotter Sunbelt states, not the cooler climates (contrary to all the "data" which suggests otherwise). Obviously there are other variables behind this, and I'm not saying you're incorrect, but the assumption that heat helps reduce infection rates doesn't appear to be true regarding COVID. Again, not enough is known about the virus to draw any substantial conclusions about the "whys" at this point.

Quote:
You do realize that the Navajo Nation lives in multi-generational (crowded) housing. Right? You also realize that the Navajo Nation as a population is more obese. That causes comorbidities like higher BP and poor eating habits which causes diabetes. If you knew that, you certainly wouldn't attempt to compare "spread out" and Navajo in the same sentence. Cut, paste, repeat for poorer black and poorer Hispanic populations. It's why Chicago (many more poor black neighborhoods) are doing much worse than white, higher-income MN, WI, or Iowa. For most people reading this, I'm not telling them anything new.
Of course I know this, and in fact, I'm the one who brought it up. Their diets, hygiene, and lifestyles are generally substandard, and these are key factors in any health related matter. I've seen the conditions on tribal lands, and it's sad & sickening. But then, you suggested I was making racist remarks when I referred to them as "those people", and how they caused a lot of their own problems.

Quote:
As I've typed a few times, most people realize that the infection rate, as well as the mortality rate, is multivariable. The weighted averages of some variables can dominate others making "heat" for example semi-irrelevant. I've wasted my time before attempting to explain it to you. But being "spread out" in podunk Idaho limits the infection rate especially when it's the furthest thing from an international destination.
Yup, podunk Idaho is far removed. Other than it being an absolute scenic paradise with nearly perfect summer weather, the other benefit is one lone COVID case, giving it a share of 1 in 12,000. Compare that to podunk Navajo County in Arizona with a share of 1 in 28. Maricopa County ranks 4th in nation in both population and the number of confirmed cases (65,000): even surpassing most of the dense NYC counties, giving us a share of 1 in 69. From my perspective, this is a total embarrassment. But hey, at least it's sunny & dry, and that's what we live here for, right?
()

Old 07-06-2020, 11:29 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Extremely poor management continues, both at the state level and federal level.

I know someone in the U.K. who got tested recently. No appointment, no waiting in line, results back in two days.
https://www.azfamily.com/news/contin...a9f9b0c8e.html

I agree, and the above link says it all. One person I know indirectly had to wait 10 days to find out if she was positive, and sure enough she was. In this day & age where many blood tests can provide instant results, it takes days on end for COVID results. Here it is 2020, but our reactions to this virus are more like the tactics used over 100 years ago during the Spanish Flu. Seriously, how hard of an ass kick do we need to get moving & quit living in the dark ages?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area