Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 11:46 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
nice to see so many medical experts posting here endlessly, even though I haven't seen many "MD.'s after anyones name..I guess reading articles on the internet all day somehow qualifies people as medical experts..

I vote we rename city data, "medical data.com", since every forum is just loaded with medical "experts" now a days..
Normally I would say that "Last night, I stayed at the Holiday Inn". With COVID, I'd pitch a tent. LOL It's worth mentioning that when the doctor leaves the room for a moment, she is on her computer looking up information. i.e. studies, data, etc. So if someone is smart enough to read the tea leaves (studies and papers), they actually do get smarter on the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 12:06 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,921,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Normally I would say that "Last night, I stayed at the Holiday Inn". With COVID, I'd pitch a tent. LOL It's worth mentioning that when the doctor leaves the room for a moment, she is on her computer looking up information. i.e. studies, data, etc. So if someone is smart enough to read the tea leaves (studies and papers), they actually do get smarter on the topic.
I agree when the doctor does that, it makes sense...on city data, not so much!
At least you have medical professionals in your family, so your perspective has some actual medical knowledge behind it..

Also, you should use Red Roof inn; they are cheaper than Holiday Inn

Old 07-09-2020, 12:41 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,275,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Why does it matter so much? It should come as no surprise to anyone that the so-called essential workers, those working for minimum wage or off the books in hospitality, restaurant kitchens, construction etc are the ones bearing the brunt of the pandemic so far. In fact, testing in NY recently announced showed a staggering 68% of people in two working class neighborhoods of NYC tested positive for antibodies.

The disadvantaged, poor, and low income workers will increasingly reach "herd immunity" and when the virus comes back even more strongly than now this fall, it will be the privileged who will be hit the hardest. Wear those masks suburbanites. You're next. And by all means, keep your distance from the landscape guys.
Yet, it's the landscapers and construction workers that I rarely see with masks on when I go out. Is that because they are disadvantaged? Or just dumb and/or don't care? You seem to be the expert, let's here your thoughts.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:13 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Yet, it's the landscapers and construction workers that I rarely see with masks on when I go out. Is that because they are disadvantaged? Or just dumb and/or don't care? You seem to be the expert, let's here your thoughts.
It's a combination of things, including the "experts" who have relayed mixed messages about masks. Lately, we've been urged to wear masks mostly while inside a public place such as a supermarket, but the transmission rate of the virus is reduced in an outdoor environment ... at least, that's what the "technical minds" say. Of course, these are some of the same "experts" who first claimed masks are unnecessary anywhere, including Fauci, the Surgeon General, WHO, and CDC.

Landscapers and construction workers: they do tend to be among the lower educated. At the same time, they do a lot of back breaking work that many of us with cushy jobs won't do, and it's rather unfair to label all of them as "dumb" or "careless". Also, consider that along with the mixed messages from the "experts" about masks, it's EXTREMELY uncomfortable to don masks in 110+ degree heat while doing all that strenuous work. You couldn't pay me enough to do those jobs, especially in the summer here.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I see a lot of landscapers covering their mouths (dust reasons) by wearing one of those "neck masks". Just as they wear long leave shirts and long pants. It's how they roll.

When you are outside and 6 feet away from someone, it's pretty safe to not wear a mask. Still, I pay attention to which way the wind is blowing.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's a combination of things, including the "experts" who have relayed mixed messages about masks. Lately, we've been urged to wear masks mostly while inside a public place such as a supermarket, but the transmission rate of the virus is reduced in an outdoor environment ... at least, that's what the "technical minds" say. Of course, these are some of the same "experts" who first claimed masks are unnecessary anywhere, including Fauci, the Surgeon General, WHO, and CDC.

Landscapers and construction workers: they do tend to be among the lower educated. At the same time, they do a lot of back breaking work that many of us with cushy jobs won't do, and it's rather unfair to label all of them as "dumb" or "careless". Also, consider that along with the mixed messages from the "experts" about masks, it's EXTREMELY uncomfortable to don masks in 110+ degree heat while doing all that strenuous work. You couldn't pay me enough to do those jobs, especially in the summer here.
If you worked in a technical environment (the field of research medicine is one of many) you would realize that it is never a slam dunk to grasp a new situation. Often, you need to sort through piles of experiments to barely figure out what is going on. And sometimes, you will never have all of the information or data even with an infinite amount of time, resources, and money. It's also easy to go down multiple rabbit holes along the way which derail the actual answers or solutions. What you have been witnessing this COVID topic is just that. Normally, people figure this out behind the scenes and we all go along our merry way.

I use to be a process engineer in the semiconductor industry. My forte was material science. More specifically, magnetic deposition. We started developing this non-volatile MRAM https://aerospace.honeywell.com/cont...-Datasheet.pdf back in the late 80's and early 90's. We were custom making deposition equipment and the list went on and on. It took 20 years to productize it and literally hundreds of millions of dollars. Early on (I left in the mid 90's) we developed hundreds of DOE's (design of experiments) just to learn what the heck was going on.

So yea, the "experts" cannot be expected to get it right out of the gate. In my old world as well as with this COVID topic, you have a working knowledge that you THINK you can apply to a new related problem and it may not be the case. I can go on but I won't. My point being, you can highlight in quotes the word "experts" and "technical minds" all you want. You simply don't possess the life experience to understand what I just said. Now we all know when someone lies to us. That, of course, happens in medicine (follow the money) and politics (follow the power). It also happens with engineering (follow the glory and money). Lies always take you off course as proven by our leadership.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
Ducey is holding a presser at 3pm. I'm going to bet that no further action is taken and it amounts to nothing more than a patronizing, "we're doing the best we can". Or maybe touting our remaining ~140 ICU beds. What do others think? Will he actually take action?

Old 07-09-2020, 02:29 PM

525 posts, read 539,828 times
Quote:

Meh, I am not worried about the construction workers and landscapers. They are outside and not really near anyone. I think what is happening is the spread is occuring with these at home parties and gatherings. And in these multi-generational homes. Remember with New York, 66% of all new coronavirus hospitalizations were those sheltered at home. 84% of the hospitalized cases were people who were not commuting to work through car services, personal cars, public transit or walking. And over half the New York's cases were minorities. I think the same is happening here. (of course, I have been wrong before)

Old 07-09-2020, 02:33 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,275,928 times
Quote:

I'm not talking about wearing masks doing work outside. I'm talking about inside gas stations or the grocery store.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:38 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Ducey is holding a presser at 3pm. I'm going to bet that no further action is taken and it amounts to nothing more than a patronizing, "we're doing the best we can". Or maybe touting our remaining ~140 ICU beds. What do others think? Will he actually take action?
Announce that schools will open 8/17 as he said.

Arizona ought to be ashamed, not Ducey but everyone. Canada with 38 million people has fewer cases than we have. We are not a densely populated state, most of us live in single family residences, apartments have open stairwells and no elevators. There is a huge supermarket every mile and a Walmart every five. We don't us public transportation. We have recreation opportunities where people can be miles apart, literally. But here we are with the worst per capita growth of cases in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area