Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times

Advertisements

Roving speed cameras to hit state freeways, highways

John Faherty
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 15, 2007 01:35 PM

Starting today, the Arizona Department of Public Safety will be deploying mobile photo radar cameras on highways across the state.
They will place the high-tech SUVs in areas where the agency has noticed increased speeding or a spike in speed related accidents.
The first location for one of the cameras will be on Arizona 347, also known as Maricopa Road, in the area between the east Valley and Casa Grande.
The units will take a picture of your face and your license plate, and tickets will be issued to people driving more than 11 mph above the speed limit.

Ok, now here is my take on this...

While I don't like the idea because I am one to speed...that's really the only argument I've got against it. What else is there to argue?

They were talking about this on talk radio and I couldn't believe how many people were whining and bitching about it. Their top reasons?

1. If they want to catch me, a real cop should catch me in the act!
2. It's unfair that they are mobile, they should be permanent like other freeway camera.
3. It's all just to make money, it's not for safety.

What the hell is the difference? Why do you feel better that a cop, instead of being out taking care of real crime, is instead wasting their time to babysit you because for some reason you can't stay within 10 MPH of the limit?

Along the same line, when a real cop stops you...does he give you a warning? Aren't they mobile? What's the difference?

And the "it's just for money" argument...well, who's giving them the money? YOU ARE? And why? Because you're speeding...don't speed, and you won't be giving them a dime. It isn't rocket science.

Again, I am one of the speeders who has had my share of tickets over the years...hell I've probably had my share and enough for the whole street, but at the same time...I can see the reason behind doing this and even though I don't like it, I understand it and do think it's a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:20 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Personally, HX, I enjoy the "pedal to the metal" as much as the next guy but . . .

If those "speed cameras" reduce deadly accidents, they have my vote.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:28 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
On one hand, I think these speed cameras are a good idea. The dangerous driving out here needs to stop. On the other hand, it is getting extremely annoying. I live in Tempe, which just set up a comprehensive speed/red light camera system at almost every major intersection, plus the infamous vans everywhere. A lot of these vans are hidden in school zones (although not just the day-- at night too!) where the speed limit changes from 40mph to 35mph. I've heard from a friend that the light will flash even if you're 1mph over. The roads of Tempe are turning into a police state. I have now permanently altered my driving, where I now stay in the right line if possible and I now go consistently 2-3 mph UNDER the speed limit. I try to stay in the right lane, and I think it is annoying to drive like that, but I do not want to get a ticket.

On the freeways though, I think these speed patrol vans could be really scary. Especially on parts of the freeways where the limit is 55mph, such as the westernmost stretch of the 202 and part of I-10. Even staying in the far right lane, there is simply no way you can go 55mph safely, even when that's the posted speed limit. Every single car on the road will be passing you, and cars behind you, even when you're in the right lane, will be on your ass. In fact, on that stretch of the 202, sometimes I'm going 65mph, 10 over the limit, in the right lane, and every car on the road is still passing me! I don't think it's fair that drivers should have to endanger themselves and **** off other drivers on the road just to prevent getting a ticket.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:34 PM

203 posts, read 810,252 times
i drive in from gilbert to 60 to 10 to 7th street every day. on 60 i get passed by 2 cops every morning one on a bike and the other in a car i`m going 68cruse control. i wonder if they ever get a ticket?
the 10 is a 55 and man i almost get run over every day. i never go over 6o dint want a ticket, there is a cop who pases me on the 10 every day like i`m siting still? maybe he is in hot purist every day?

i don't speed i don't want a ticket.
and i never run a yellow light, i find my self hitting the brakes so i donut get a ticket, the person fallowing me to close almost hit me.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:00 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman469 View Post
i drive in from gilbert to 60 to 10 to 7th street every day. on 60 i get passed by 2 cops every morning one on a bike and the other in a car i`m going 68cruse control. i wonder if they ever get a ticket?
the 10 is a 55 and man i almost get run over every day. i never go over 6o dint want a ticket, there is a cop who pases me on the 10 every day like i`m siting still? maybe he is in hot purist every day?

and i never run a yellow light, i find my self hitting the brakes so i donut get a ticket, the person fallowing me to close almost hit me.
The answer to that is yes they can and yes they have. Get the unit number off the vehicle (DPS cars are on the bumper) and call in a complaint. If they're justified in running fast, nothing will happen to them. If not, action does get taken. Are you sure it's the same officer every day or do they all look alike to you?

I think the cameras are a great idea, especially the mobiles. Whatever it takes to get people to slow down. I still think we need a system like Germany that measures speed and distance between vehicles which targets vehicles following too closely. Tailgating causes more collisions than speed alone. Speed just makes them worse.

Last edited by aj661; 11-16-2007 at 06:00 PM..

Old 11-16-2007, 06:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
I still think we need a system like Germany that measures speed and distance between vehicles which targets vehicles following too closely.
Your prayers have been answered! That's exactly what we're getting - Germany's system, circa 1930's.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
if we used them here we could solve all our budget problems.
people drive bad bad bad.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 PM

919 posts, read 3,394,539 times
I find the accounting to be fuzzy. Scottsdale seemed to imply it broke even/didn't profit from the 101 cameras. I can't imagine an easier way to make money. Cameras snapping away 24/7? On our freeways? That really is like shooting fish in a barrel. I know there's a cost to operate and to process the tickets, but still it seems to me the cities fudge the numbers or give way too much shared revenue to the contracted companies that manage the systems.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Personally, HX, I enjoy the "pedal to the metal" as much as the next guy but . . .

If those "speed cameras" reduce deadly accidents, they have my vote.
And how do you dispute a ticket?! What recourse do you have? Go to court and argue with the camera?! Jeez, high-tech is just never full of bugs and never breaks, does it?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:19 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman469 View Post

Definitely call in to the proper department, Ranman.

I have the utmost respect for Law Enforcement but they have their "bad apples" as with any group.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area