Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 11:21 AM

639 posts, read 2,713,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And how do you dispute a ticket?! What recourse do you have? Go to court and argue with the camera?! Jeez, high-tech is just never full of bugs and never breaks, does it?

Actually, you have to be DELIVERED the citation in person by either a cop, someone hired by the PD department or delivered registered mail. If you get a ticket in the mail DO NOT PAY IT. Most cases they will never go through the trouble and deliver it to you unless you have a ton of them. Scottsdale is getting better at delivering them, but by law you have to be given the summons in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 12:32 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,384,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman469 View Post
My answer to that is retractable licence plates [bad idea]

everyone has seen them on the internet. i bet the fine is more that the ticket.

az. no plate on the front needed

Sorry I really didn't know they had actual retractable plates. Just thought I was being funny. You telling me someone beat me to the punch and invented onw of my ideas?

Old 11-17-2007, 01:14 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,178,790 times
Quote:
My answer to that is retractable licence plates [bad idea]

everyone has seen them on the internet. i bet the fine is more that the ticket.

az. no plate on the front needed
haha, the show, Mythbusters, had an episode about that. They tested every kind of way to evade the speed camera and the retractable plate (which they had to build) was the only way. But they also mentioned that the fine for that is very high, much more than the ticket.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:10 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,735,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
haha, the show, Mythbusters, had an episode about that. They tested every kind of way to evade the speed camera and the retractable plate (which they had to build) was the only way. But they also mentioned that the fine for that is very high, much more than the ticket.
and rightfully so, Sablebaby

Also, the fine for a "covered" plate is going up and the cops are watching for them very closely.

Definitely not worth it!

Old 11-17-2007, 07:26 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,956,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Actually, you have to be DELIVERED the citation in person by either a cop, someone hired by the PD department or delivered registered mail. If you get a ticket in the mail DO NOT PAY IT. Most cases they will never go through the trouble and deliver it to you unless you have a ton of them. Scottsdale is getting better at delivering them, but by law you have to be given the summons in person.
Where did you get this information? Or are you guessing?

My girlfriend got a photo radar ticket on the 101 and it came in the regular mail, not certified or delivered by anybody.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:29 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,735,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Where did you get this information? Or are you guessing?

My girlfriend got a photo radar ticket on the 101 and it came in the regular mail, not certified or delivered by anybody.
You are correct, HX . . . simple First Class Mail is adequate!

Old 11-18-2007, 05:23 AM

39 posts, read 358,226 times
Just ignore the mailed ticket... and don't sign/accept registered/certified mail either. The issuing police department has one year to physically serve you the ticket, and if they don't, the ticket goes away.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:34 AM

203 posts, read 811,024 times
DML1651

that sounds to good to be true? another question for myth busters

Old 11-18-2007, 08:23 AM

235 posts, read 923,356 times
Quote:
DML1651

that sounds to good to be true? another question for myth busters
It's true, currently they still have to serve you in order for the ticket to be valid. The original letter they mail you is basically asking you to give up your right of service, admit guilt and pay the fine. I got one photo ticket from Scottsdale for pushing a yellow light too far. I ignored the original mailing, and after a cat and mouse game for two months, was finally served while out washing the car on a Saturday. Scottsdale will send a process server out for one ticket. It cost over $200 and I just spent 8 hours in a mandatory traffic survival school class yesterday.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 AM

203 posts, read 811,024 times
good to know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area