Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 09:46 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,476,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
The answer to that is yes they can and yes they have. Get the unit number off the vehicle (DPS cars are on the bumper) and call in a complaint. If they're justified in running fast, nothing will happen to them. If not, action does get taken. Are you sure it's the same officer every day or do they all look alike to you?

I think the cameras are a great idea, especially the mobiles. Whatever it takes to get people to slow down. I still think we need a system like Germany that measures speed and distance between vehicles which targets vehicles following too closely. Tailgating causes more collisions than speed alone. Speed just makes them worse.
Yesterday I saw a police car coming directly toward me driving the wrong way on a one-way street in Downtown Phoenix. There were no lights flashing or other indications of an emergency response. Frankly, I think the officer was just confused. The car appeared to be DPS rather than Phoenix PD. I was too busy making a quick lane change to notice the unit number, but I'll keep that in mind if something like that ever happens again. I have the utmost admiration for the Phoenix PD and the DPS, but there has to be accountability for everyone on the road.

I agree about the cameras; I don't see the downside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,871 times
Default Photo radar Arizona-not my car

So...I was driving my roomates car and received a photo radar ticket. She said she is going to send the ticket back with her license photo and tell them that it was a friend from out of the state. However I am worried because my license has the same address as hers and it is clearly me on the photo. Do I just cave into the (AZ-money hungry mongrols)state and tell them it was me driving? We know she will not have to pay the fine because again it is clearly me not her. Someone tell me if this is really going to work or should I just do the driving school? First ticket in 19 years and I was going 11 miles over the speed limit along with everyone else.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:50 PM

812 posts, read 2,310,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Photo radar is nothing more than a revenue collector for government agencies like DPS. If they were truly concerned about safety, then they would put more DPS officers on traffic patrol. Also, if safety is a concern, then they wouldn't be setting up cameras for the sole intent of citing speeders. Speed is NOT the cause of accidents ... intoxication and inattentiveness are the main causes. 80 or 85 MPH is not dangerous on an open highway with good conditions & sparse traffic.

As for the reckless idiots who drive at 100 MPH or more, photo cameras won't stop them. People who drive that fast are driving at CRIMINAL speeds, and should be pulled over & arrested. Instead, all they get is their beautiful picture taken with a citation in the mail, and they'll just continue to drive as fast as they want. Again, if it's the excessively fast speeders they're concerned about, why don't they put officers on patrol to nab them? Better yet, why don't they put on more cops to nab the drunks, the inattentive, and the slowpokes in the left lanes who hold up the flow of traffic?! Those are the real menaces in traffic ... not those who drive 66 in a 55!
Not sure where your logic comes from, but if you think speed doesn't cause accidents, I think you don't belong on the road. Many innocent people die each year because of exaclty that kind of thinking. It is more cost effective that they do this and also in the process "real menaces" as you call them get caught in the process. If everyone just worries about themselves and their actions than I think we'd have a lot more safer people.

Why do we always have people unhappy about things that are suppose to benefit everyone and keep us all safer? This is good thing for all. If it costs a few people money for breaking the law then maybe it will prevent speeding and save lives.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:52 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,034,579 times
The reason Scottsdale and Phoenix do not profit from the cameras is simple, slow down when entering the "photo enforcement zone" and then speed back up again. The stationary cameras are a waste of money and just plain stupid. Those that live in the area and use the freeway daily are not the smartest if they drive too fast past the cameras. I don't speed myself and hardly use freeways, but when I have I just see people hit the breaks in the "zone" and then it's pedal to the medal after they pass by.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,464,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Your prayers have been answered! That's exactly what we're getting - Germany's system, circa 1930's.
LOL, good one! And rep to you!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:25 AM

267 posts, read 886,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Yesterday I saw a police car coming directly toward me driving the wrong way on a one-way street in Downtown Phoenix. There were no lights flashing or other indications of an emergency response. Frankly, I think the officer was just confused. The car appeared to be DPS rather than Phoenix PD. I was too busy making a quick lane change to notice the unit number, but I'll keep that in mind if something like that ever happens again. I have the utmost admiration for the Phoenix PD and the DPS, but there has to be accountability for everyone on the road.

I agree about the cameras; I don't see the downside.

Just because the officer didn't have lights flashing or any other indication doesn't mean he or she wasn't responding to a call. Sometimes police, when responding, are not supposed to use their lights and sirens. Depends on the call. I don't know about this particular instance, but that is why sometimes it seems as if a cop is just speeding down the road because he can. Nope, he probably has a reason for doing what he is doing that you just don't know about.

As for the cameras...at first I hated them. But that is because I used to be a speed demon. After realizing how horrible drivers are in Arizona and hearing story after story of people getting killed here in accidents, I am all for whatever makes people slow down. The slower you are going, the better your response will be to whatever comes at you!

And just fyi...on freeways you are allowed to go 10 miles over the speed limit (at 11 you will get flashed) and on side-streets you are allowed to go 5 over the limit (6 you will get flashed). Oh, and beware, the red light cameras that get you at intersections are now turning into speed cameras as well

Old 06-19-2008, 08:38 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,441,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
The reason Scottsdale and Phoenix do not profit from the cameras is simple, slow down when entering the "photo enforcement zone" and then speed back up again. The stationary cameras are a waste of money and just plain stupid. Those that live in the area and use the freeway daily are not the smartest if they drive too fast past the cameras. I don't speed myself and hardly use freeways, but when I have I just see people hit the breaks in the "zone" and then it's pedal to the medal after they pass by.
F, I agree with you wholeheartedly!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,441,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
Just because the officer didn't have lights flashing or any other indication doesn't mean he or she wasn't responding to a call. Sometimes police, when responding, are not supposed to use their lights and sirens. Depends on the call. I don't know about this particular instance, but that is why sometimes it seems as if a cop is just speeding down the road because he can. Nope, he probably has a reason for doing what he is doing that you just don't know about.

As for the cameras...at first I hated them. But that is because I used to be a speed demon. After realizing how horrible drivers are in Arizona and hearing story after story of people getting killed here in accidents, I am all for whatever makes people slow down. The slower you are going, the better your response will be to whatever comes at you!

And just fyi...on freeways you are allowed to go 10 miles over the speed limit (at 11 you will get flashed) and on side-streets you are allowed to go 5 over the limit (6 you will get flashed). Oh, and beware, the red light cameras that get you at intersections are now turning into speed cameras as well
Oh please, there are going to be accidents and people getting killed whether there are cameras or not. I'd like to see stats where they say how much of these cameras reduced the accidents or people getting killed! Its simple, its law of averages....there are MORE and MORE and MORE vehicles on the road today than EVER! If they really want the accidents and people being killed to stop, how about the government shutting down the number of vehicles being manufactured and distributed in United States? Yeah, that'll raise some eyebrows...that's because the Gov. knows they can get away with nickel and diming these poor regular joe's and if the richman gets the ticket, he won't complain....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area