Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 04:39 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,105 times

Advertisements

Got another one of those lovely notices taped to the garage door this morning, specifically for the "inoperable vehicle" parked in my driveway, and flatbed trailer parked in front of the RV gate on the non garage side of the house.

The "inoperable vehicle" is my rock crawler that only sees trail use, and is currently in a state of complete drive train replacement, so yes, technically it's inoperable. Moving it to a side yard would be beyond inconvienent, as much of my fabrication tools are permanently attached to my garage floor, and I don't have 200 foot leads for my welder or hoses for the torches, etc :P Putting the truck in the garage is impossible as it won't physically fit anymore (yes, it's big ).

It has a full body on it, and 4 fully inflated tires with good tread. Do I just put a plate on it and tell the city to pound sand? It's old enough that it's emissions exempt, so plating it would be a piece of cake.

On that note, since the trailer is plated, and as far as I can tell from reading the codes, can be legally parked in the driveway, do I just leave the vehicle on the trailer, and park them both in the driveway that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 04:48 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Got another one of those lovely notices taped to the garage door this morning, specifically for the "inoperable vehicle" parked in my driveway, and flatbed trailer parked in front of the RV gate on the non garage side of the house.

The "inoperable vehicle" is my rock crawler that only sees trail use, and is currently in a state of complete drive train replacement, so yes, technically it's inoperable. Moving it to a side yard would be beyond inconvienent, as much of my fabrication tools are permanently attached to my garage floor, and I don't have 200 foot leads for my welder or hoses for the torches, etc :P Putting the truck in the garage is impossible as it won't physically fit anymore (yes, it's big ).

It has a full body on it, and 4 fully inflated tires with good tread. Do I just put a plate on it and tell the city to pound sand? It's old enough that it's emissions exempt, so plating it would be a piece of cake.

On that note, since the trailer is plated, and as far as I can tell from reading the codes, can be legally parked in the driveway, do I just leave the vehicle on the trailer, and park them both in the driveway that way?
Your treasure is neighborhood blight. It hurts the values of your neighbors' property and makes it more difficult for them to rent, sell, or even enjoy their homes. Furthermore, it a violation of law. Man up. Call the city and discuss options. If there are none then move it or get rid of it.

If your notice from the city, then you have rights and you can fight it to the state supreme court if your wallet is thick enough. If it's from the HOA, the battle is over and you have lost. The fines will begin shortly and they will eventually own your house.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:28 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Seriously, are you *actively* working on this vehicle every day, or have you been torturing your neighbors with an eternal "project" for weeks/months/years?..

Nobody wants to live next to a junk yard.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:31 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Yet again this is why you don't live in an HOA. A bunch of power hungry busy bodies with too much time on their hands.
It sounds like it is the city that is after him. Just about every city in the valley has blight ordinances now that would prohibit what he describes.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:46 PM

Sorry, friend - if you're doing a "complete powertrain replacement", you use your garage. If your garage is full, you have too much junk. That isn't an "hoa thing", it's a living in a city thing. If you can't handle being civilized, you need to move to an unincorporated area that doesnt have zoning requirements. City lots arent designed for those who have projects spilling out onto the lawn or driveway.

Last edited by observer53; 07-04-2013 at 06:28 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,758,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Seriously, are you *actively* working on this vehicle every day, or have you been torturing your neighbors with an eternal "project" for weeks/months/years?..

Nobody wants to live next to a junk yard.
Move to my neighborhood, apparently everything goes.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Move to my neighborhood, apparently everything goes.
You don't say what city you're in, but Phoenix is fairly responsive.. it take a few months, but those that flout the law do eventually get hammered. Phoenix even has an Iphone app that allows you to complain & attach multiple pictures. I zinged a property adjoining one of my rentals & I know the city followed up, because the offending neighbor came over and yelled at my tenant (they *assumed* it was my tenant making the complaints).. whatever, the junk is gone & my property value has been restored.

I really appreciate the iphone app, because you have multiple geocoded & time-stamped photos incorporated into the complaint. The city has to follow up, or you can go after them too. A phone call or even an in-person complaint can be ignored, but if it's submitted over the web, it will remain there until it's dealt with properly, and it can be subpoenaed if it isnt dealt with and you have to smack the city.

I'm all about having full rights to your own property, but I'm also of a mind that your rights end where my nose begins. You can have as much junk as you want in your back yard, or garage - but when it costs me a tenant, or affects the value of *my* property, the gloves come off. You don't need an hoa to deal with neighbors that are slobs - plenty of city codes handle that kind of thing pretty effectively.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:33 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,758,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
You don't say what city you're in, but Phoenix is fairly responsive.. it take a few months, but those that flout the law do eventually get hammered. Phoenix even has an Iphone app that allows you to complain & attach multiple pictures. I zinged a property adjoining one of my rentals & I know the city followed up, because the offending neighbor came over and yelled at my tenant (they *assumed* it was my tenant making the complaints).. whatever, the junk is gone & my property value has been restored.

I really appreciate the iphone app, because you have multiple geocoded & time-stamped photos incorporated into the complaint. The city has to follow up, or you can go after them too. A phone call or even an in-person complaint can be ignored, but if it's submitted over the web, it will remain there until it's dealt with properly, and it can be subpoenaed if it isnt dealt with and you have to smack the city.

I'm all about having full rights to your own property, but I'm also of a mind that your rights end where my nose begins. You can have as much junk as you want in your back yard, or garage - but when it costs me a tenant, or affects the value of *my* property, the gloves come off. You don't need an hoa to deal with neighbors that are slobs - plenty of city codes handle that kind of thing pretty effectively.
No, I can't be too hard on my neighborhood. I called code enforcement because one of my neighbors had their old building debris laid out spilling across the sidewalk and into the street. What a mess! There was plywood, 2X4's with nails sticking out. The pile was easily 4 ft X 7ft wide. The next day, they took it to the dump. I live by christown.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 AM

Staying out of an hoa neighborhood doesn't exempt you from city/county blight ordinances & won't protect you from "people like me".. I own three properties in the valley and none of them are in hoa neighborhoods. If you leave a junk car in my neighborhood, I'll turn you in & you will get popped for it. The law is the law, you're welcome to lobby for changes if you think your city would be better with more cars on blocks.

Last edited by observer53; 07-04-2013 at 06:30 AM..

Old 07-04-2013, 01:54 AM

537 posts, read 1,545,048 times
I guess I'm just like Zippyman. A power hungry busy body. My houses are investments and I will do what ever is needed to protect them. The funny thing about Phoenix and the Neighborhood preservation is that you don't even have to be a neighbor or even a Phoenix resident to turn in blight. The junky homeowner will think that the next door neighbor turned it in when it could have been me on the other side of town. Soooo.. take care of your neighborhood because I'll do it if I'm motivated. They'll think you did it anyway, so just take care of it. Nip it in the bud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area