Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 06:33 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

This a thread asking for advice about a specific problem in Glendale which appears to be code enforcement, but the OP needs to clarify.

It is not about code enforcement generally or in other cities, nor is it another HOA bashing thread. Stay on topic, please.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 AM

892 posts, read 1,498,913 times
Wow...amazing how people can take a snippet of info, and RUN with it....

Yes, you guys are absolutely correct. Having this huge pile of crap sitting on blocks parked in my driveway is absolute torture to the neighbors, and should have been hauled off to the junkyard YEARS ago! I'm exactly the kind of guy these anti-blight laws are designed for, right? Funny thing...a guy down the street has two cars parked in his driveway that are little more than empty body shells, and have been parked like that for about 10 years. But I'm the guy killing property values.....

To the guy that assumed I have "too much junk" in my garage....with the larger tires installed, and the top in place, it's about 6" too tall to fit under my garage door (this is the only picture I have handy at the moment, but it looks the same, other than taller tires and a bright white top on it). My brand new Dodge pickup is too long to fit in the garage, even with it fully empty...does that make me uncivilized too?

Yes, it's Glendale city, no HOA. Funny thing...apparently the neighbor's Jeep that doesn't have a straight body panel left on it, has every light and most of the glass broken out (with the cheapest crap he could find at Harbor Freight zip tied in place to be legal for lighting), missing both bumpers, and is several different colors from parts mixing and matching is perfectly OK to park in his driveway. But the vehicle without a license plate or engine? Nope..that's blight, and the owner is the scourge of the neighborhood, despite not having a clue whether or not an engine is installed without popping the hood.

Apparently the way to solve this is to be like the guy up the road with the two stripped out cars...guess if they're fully stripped, it's no longer blight. Or perhaps like my immediate neighbor with about a dozen cars crammed into a half dozen spaces, with a ton of stuff piled up behind the RV gate that's well beyond the height of the gate.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:25 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
The bottom line is that it's a house, not an auto repair shop. Auto repairs done in the front yard over an extended period of time are an eyesore.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Yes, you guys are absolutely correct. Having this huge pile of crap sitting on blocks parked in my driveway is absolute torture to the neighbors, and should have been hauled off to the junkyard YEARS ago!
Sorry, but that thing is ugly. I wouldn't want to look at it on blocks in your driveway every day as I go to and from work. We're not discussing what others in your neighborhood do ("everybody does it"). You posted about your specific situation and the City code enforcement. I'm sorry you're going through this hassle, but it is an eyesore.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:43 AM

I'm getting that now...obviously the solution is to not do crap to them, just let the vehicles sit and rot away, lol. Just blows my mind that they guy across the street with the vehicle that looks like it was literally pulled out of the crusher, and the guy up the road with two empty shells are seemingly perfectly within the law, yet the guy that trys to keep things in good repair is the loser....

Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I wouldn't want to look at it on blocks in your driveway every day as I go to and from work.

It's NOT on blocks...that was sarcasm, albeit poorly communicated. As I said in the initial post, it's on four fully inflated tires with good tread (bought brand new last year, with less than 1,000 miles on them). In fact, that's one of the beauty of the lifted trucks - the only time I need to get out a jack is if a tire needs to be changed, or brake work needs to be done...tons of room underneath to do any needed maintence without having to lift it off the ground

I don't see how it's much different than the number of Jeep Wranglers out there....

Old 07-05-2013, 10:51 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
If it's just parked in your driveway and doesn't appear to be undergoing work, I don't see the problem.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:45 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Wow...amazing how people can take a snippet of info, and RUN with it....

To the guy that assumed I have "too much junk" in my garage....with the larger tires installed, and the top in place, it's about 6" too tall to fit under my garage door (this is the only picture I have handy at the moment, but it looks the same, other than taller tires and a bright white top on it).
Your previous post indicated it was "too hard" to put this inoperable, unplated vehicle in the back yard.

Why is that your neighbor's problem?

And yes - a vehicle like that parked in your driveway will affect your neighbor's property values.

I've showed homes before to people, and heard the comment "The house is great, but the neighbors are hillbillies".. that's a direct financial loss to someone other than yourself because of your actions.

Do you really think you have a "right" to do that to others?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
I'm getting that now...obviously the solution is to not do crap to them, just let the vehicles sit and rot away, lol. Just blows my mind that they guy across the street with the vehicle that looks like it was literally pulled out of the crusher, and the guy up the road with two empty shells are seemingly perfectly within the law, yet the guy that trys to keep things in good repair is the loser....

Have you, or anyone else, turned these folks into code enforcement? As you describe it, the situation does seem to be something that would be in violation of the code as well.

Putting a plate on it might solve the problem, so long as the vehicle doesn't otherwise appear inoperable as it sits in the driveway.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:35 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Have you, or anyone else, turned these folks into code enforcement? As you describe it, the situation does seem to be something that would be in violation of the code as well.

Putting a plate on it might solve the problem, so long as the vehicle doesn't otherwise appear inoperable as it sits in the driveway.
I doubt the code enforcement people are dumb enough to fall for that. Surely they can tell that a vehicle without an engine or drive train is not operable. I'll bet they have "seen it all".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area