Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 24,801 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with how to register a complaint about the parking of a large trailer and boat on a residential neighborhood street in Phoenix?

We have a neighbor across the street from us that constantly does things that annoys the neighborhood. It's like a "greatest hits" of bad neighbors: a large barking dog, works on his muscle car in the middle of the night and revs the engine (at 3am on weeknights), runs his leaf blower in his front yard in the middle of the night on weeknights, etc. His latest trick is to park a large trailer and boat in front of his house and leave it parked there indefinitely. Normally I wouldn't care much about this, but our street is narrow and it impacts our ability to get in and out of our driveway.

We've already complained to the HOA, and they're "pursuing it", with no resolution in sight. It appears to violate city ordinance 36-040, but I don't know how to register a complaint with the city. Do I have to call the police to complain? I'd really rather not waste an officer's time with low priority stuff like that, considering their responsibilities. Are there other city offices that I can pursue this with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 AM

710 posts, read 3,390,954 times
Doesn't sound like it's a violation of Phoenix city codes on the face of it. Parking ordinances are in the PCC 36-100 series, and I don't think there's such a code as 36-040.

36-140 though, deals with parking semis, tractors, and trailers on public right-of-ways. That wouldn't apply in this case either, because that ordinance has a GVW weight requirement ... ie: it has to be a 1-ton truck or a semi.

If the boat trailer's parked in one spot for longer than 48 hours, it can be 'tagged' and then later towed by the parking enforcement detail. That's PCC 36-147

Your HOA is the go-to place for this, if it bugs you. That's the reason for HOAs and their CCRs.

If you need to talk to a cop about it, and don't want to bother a patrol officer for something that would be a sticker on a windshield, go here to this Phoenix map, find your area, and the CAO (community action officer) for your neighborhood. He/she can give you more advice.

http://www.phoenix.gov/police/cao_list.pdf

Old 11-18-2008, 10:47 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
This from the City of Phoenix Web Site. Where to contact for your type of problem. They'll guide you through the process and direct you to the right person for your complaint.

The Code Enforcement Policy is the guideline that the Preservation Division follows when seeking compliance of violations to the regulations enforced: neighborhood Preservation Ordinance; Zoning Ordinance; Construction and Building Code; Mobile Vending; Street Vending; and portions of the Animal Ordinance.

Main Contacts: Telephone: (602) 262-7844 Fax: (602) 495-5567 E-mail: blight@phoenix.gov

Code Enforcement Policy/Process: English (100k) En Español (100k)
Questions about blighted property cases
Report a blighted property
Code Enforcement Case Status Report

Phoenix does have an ordinance about parked vehicles on the street that have not been moved after 72 hours and can be ticketed.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:51 AM

4 posts, read 96,038 times
Ever thought about talking to the guy?

Old 01-16-2019, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 17,611 times
Maricopa County classifies that the trailer must be under 22.5 Feet long, under 8 feet tall and less than 10,000 GVW. The truck must be under Three-Quarter ton, Less than 10,000 GVW to park on the street. The city of Phoenix states that a trailer can only be parked on the street while active loading and unloading. So you can't even use a trailer for your business as a contractor, as you can't park in front of your house that your working. I'm really confused......as Phoenix statute clearly states you can't even park with a trailer on the street.

I got ticketed with my Half-Ton Pickup while it was connected to my low profile 22-foot trailer in a residential neighborhood.

Anyone with clarification?

Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 AM

586 posts, read 540,975 times
They probably figured it out in the 10 years since they asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkorSink View Post
Maricopa County classifies that the trailer must be under 22.5 Feet long, under 8 feet tall and less than 10,000 GVW. The truck must be under Three-Quarter ton, Less than 10,000 GVW to park on the street. The city of Phoenix states that a trailer can only be parked on the street while active loading and unloading. So you can't even use a trailer for your business as a contractor, as you can't park in front of your house that your working. I'm really confused......as Phoenix statute clearly states you can't even park with a trailer on the street.

I got ticketed with my Half-Ton Pickup while it was connected to my low profile 22-foot trailer in a residential neighborhood.

Anyone with clarification?

Old 01-31-2019, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 17,611 times
If they figured it out then they need to revise the statute because it is not defined, and the definitions to the section don't include the definition of the trailer, only the truck.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 7,491 times
I wish this was clarified. I was just threatened by Phoenix PD this afternoon that I needed to move my 2006 Ford Expedition off the street in front of my house as it violated 36-140 due to it being "more than 3/4 of a ton rated chassis capacity".

It does have a trailer hitch on it but I don't even own a trailer. This is, according to Wikipedia, a 4 door SUV on a F-150 chassis.

I hope to speak to an attorney tomorrow to get clarification on this. I have lived here for more than 5 years and have always parked my "not that day" driver on the street. I have a 2000 Goldwing that I ride to and from work weather permitting and I need to get it out of the garage so the vehicle goes in the street to allow me the room.

As for the comment about the police and how they determine who to go after, it is totally by complaint. My neighbor and I haven't been seeing eye-to-eye lately and this was a way to "get me". They have been out here numerous times over the last two months without a word about the vehicle until today.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:21 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwking View Post
Ever thought about talking to the guy?
Seriously. What ever happened to just having a conversation with someone? He is your neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area