Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 10:06 PM

5 posts, read 13,040 times

Advertisements

Can somebody give feedback on the area of S. 35th Pl., Cross Street E. Southern Ave. in Phoenix. There is a new construction development selling three bedroom two bath homes from $180,000 to $200,000 price range. How is that neighborhood? Does anybody familiar with this area? We're considering moving into Phoenix and looking for a new construction. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 10:19 PM

606 posts, read 1,607,300 times
We had a conversation about this a couple months ago. This thread has a ton of great info for you, just click on the following thread link: https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...hows-area.html

Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,981,897 times
A lot of people on here will be quick to bash that area because it's "South Phoenix" woop dee doo. The area you're looking in is a sleepy part of South Phoenix and it's actually nice. It's right up the street from the Legacy Resort and there are even quite a few upper income types in that area and along Baseline Rd. The higher crime areas of South Phoenix (but still not that bad) will be a little east of where you're looking and the police keep a pretty tight lid on the trouble makers but the gangs and the like tend to stay in their area and don't really venture out of their neighborhoods and you probably won't be hanging out around 24th st&Southern or 16th st&Broadway anyway so put your mind at ease.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,768,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
A lot of people on here will be quick to bash that area because it's "South Phoenix" woop dee doo. The area you're looking in is a sleepy part of South Phoenix and it's actually nice. It's right up the street from the Legacy Resort and there are even quite a few upper income types in that area and along Baseline Rd. The higher crime areas of South Phoenix (but still not that bad) will be a little east of where you're looking and the police keep a pretty tight lid on the trouble makers but the gangs and the like tend to stay in their area and don't really venture out of their neighborhoods and you probably won't be hanging out around 24th st&Southern or 16th st&Broadway anyway so put your mind at ease.
I grew up in South Phoenix and still know people in the area so I tell it like it is. While that development is surrounded by nurseries. There are some awesome $100 per month trailer park right next door, and a nice strip of ghetto housing next to it too. Everyday when I drive by that development I laugh cuz it like one street and a curve of 2 story houses crammed in that small space. But you can look over the tagged wall into a dirt field covered in weeds

Old 05-31-2013, 07:01 AM

606 posts, read 1,607,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Good post, correct information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
I grew up in South Phoenix and still know people in the area so I tell it like it is. While that development is surrounded by nurseries. There are some awesome $100 per month trailer park right next door, and a nice strip of ghetto housing next to it too. Everyday when I drive by that development I laugh cuz it like one street and a curve of 2 story houses crammed in that small space. But you can look over the tagged wall into a dirt field covered in weeds
Also a good post with correct information. However, let me state that me personal preference would be to buy property in an area like this because the exact things you describe is what's going to get you the same home for the fraction of the price. These same homes (structurally) if built in Scottsdale, Gilbert etc would be twice the price or more.

So IMO it's all a matter of personal preference. For example, when I bought my house a couple years ago, it was either buy a home in the hood in cash or buy a home in a more expensive neighborhood and be in debt for another 30 years. What do you think I did? Shoot you already know what it is, I'm debt free living in the hood loving life!! I have never regretted it, I think it was one of the best choices I could have made for myself and my family.

So like I said it really all comes down to personal preference and what you want to pay for.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 AM

582 posts, read 1,483,335 times
The area will be fine, but also look at the areas south of Baseline, between 16th and 24th Street. You may like some of those houses and the area is more developed. 36th Street and Southern isn't all developed yet, and used to be somewhat rural. Just to get a comparison, that is my opinion.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:39 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,981,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
Good post, correct information.

Also a good post with correct information. However, let me state that me personal preference would be to buy property in an area like this because the exact things you describe is what's going to get you the same home for the fraction of the price. These same homes (structurally) if built in Scottsdale, Gilbert etc would be twice the price or more.

So IMO it's all a matter of personal preference. For example, when I bought my house a couple years ago, it was either buy a home in the hood in cash or buy a home in a more expensive neighborhood and be in debt for another 30 years. What do you think I did? Shoot you already know what it is, I'm debt free living in the hood loving life!! I have never regretted it, I think it was one of the best choices I could have made for myself and my family.

So like I said it really all comes down to personal preference and what you want to pay for.
I know that's right! In the words of Tupac "I aint mad at cha" haha and there's nothing wrong with living in the hood....like you said it comes down to personal preference. Some people don't enjoy the suburban lifestyle that areas such as Gilbert offer. It's all good!

Old 05-31-2013, 11:13 AM

582 posts, read 1,483,335 times
With a $200,000 budget I would say that SE Phoenix or SW Phoenix in an area like Laveen or Tolleson would be the BEST bang for the buck for a new-newer construction home in a CLEAN neighborhood.

Many other areas as El Wai_boi said will cost much more in the Phoenix metro. Areas south of Baseline will hold their value or appreciate long term. Other areas I mentioned should be fine, there will always be new home owners seeking a starter home. Also keep in mind that a home for sale in an area that a white family may not choose to buy, may be easily snapped up by a family of color, and 1/3 of our population here is Latino, and another 10% other races of color. So that 36th Street and Southern home you may choose to buy now new, in 10 years still should have a ready source of buyers, particularly since you will be buying it at a reasonable price point. As they say, you make your money when you BUY not when you sell.

The problem with our metro area is that there are no laws in place to limit land development, and that encourages urban sprawl. People who live in major metro areas like The Bay Area, and the DC metro for example, where land is scarce, cherish their homes, and don't move at the drop of a hat. They remodel and stay put. Scarcity creates higher property values, and abundance of land here is why values here are relatively low.

Houses are built here in assembly line fashion and people barely stay in a home 5 years, maybe 10 at the most, and they are ready for something newer. Many newer cookie cutter tract homes barely have a back yard, which is horrible. The older homes then attract lower income people, and the values drop. It's hard to get mixed neighborhood use here where people of various income levels all live in one area.

Unless we can get leadership here that will put renovation of existing areas ahead of expanding farther away from the city core, the Phoenix metro is in for a lot of urban blight in it's future.

I would do an extensive drive around search of the areas I mentioned, and tour a lot of properties. Look at the areas day and night, see how the yards are kept up, how the parks and amenities nearby are kept up. Then narrow your house purchase down to a few places in those neighborhoods. That would be new construction and neighborhoods built in the last 5-10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area