Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,321,168 times

Advertisements

Feast on food, fellowship at half-mile long downtown dinner party - East Valley Tribune: Events
Home | Feast On The Street Phoenix

A new event in downtown Phoenix with food and music from 2PM to 9PM in Downtown Phoenix on First Street from Taylor Street to Moreland Street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
I don't know. Sitting at a big table eating a feast while the hungry & homeless watch from the sidelines has too much of a Les Miserables feeling for me.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,237,767 times
then swing by St. Vincent de Paul in the morning and help serve meals and drop off some clothes they can use as well

are you ridden with such guilt when you go to the grocery store? spend a little extra money on any frivolty? how many homeless have access to the internet, let alone the luxury of posting on sites like this? are you up all night fretting that you are rubbing your housing situation in the face of some homeless person?

rather silly objection

I think it's a pretty neat concept and could be a nice event with the right organization - looks to be some good options for food and beer and some random conversation with what were strangers is never bad ........ i've eaten at some communal dining places before and have always had a good experience, even if I do tend to be on the more shy side

Old 04-11-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
then swing by St. Vincent de Paul in the morning and help serve meals and drop off some clothes they can use as well

are you ridden with such guilt when you go to the grocery store? spend a little extra money on any frivolty? how many homeless have access to the internet, let alone the luxury of posting on sites like this? are you up all night fretting that you are rubbing your housing situation in the face of some homeless person?

rather silly objection

I think it's a pretty neat concept and could be a nice event with the right organization - looks to be some good options for food and beer and some random conversation with what were strangers is never bad ........ i've eaten at some communal dining places before and have always had a good experience, even if I do tend to be on the more shy side
I can see the hungry hanging around the trash cans to get the food trendy urbanites throw away. It is just something out of a Dickens novel - Oliver "food, glorious food". This "feast" would be better placed in Old Town Scottsdale where conspicuous consumption is expectexd - not among the poorest and most needy in Phoenix. This "feast" in the midst of poverty is in bad taste (no pun intended). If you go, do toss a hard roll to a hungry person.

As for me, I'm staying away. I will be waiting for the 2nd Annual Rib Fest at the Cardinals stadium. You need a car to get to that, so I can be sure that hungry eyes won't be watching me as I chew on a bone.

As for the allure of communal dining, well one can go down to St. Vinny's any day of the week for that and not have to plunk down 20 bucks.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:54 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,237,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
As for the allure of communal dining, well one can go down to St. Vinny's any day of the week for that and not have to plunk down 20 bucks.
You do realize there is no cost for this event right? Other than what you'll spend on food/drink? You can buy a VIP pass if you want, but it's by and large free + cost.

I won't even get into the other comment which really reads like eating with the homeless is some kind of amusement or tourist attraction where you can snag a free meal and somewhat mock those in need

Quote:
I can see the hungry hanging around the trash cans to get the food trendy urbanites throw away. It is just something out of a Dickens novel - Oliver "food, glorious food". This "feast" would be better placed in Old Town Scottsdale where conspicuous consumption is expectexd
Pretty big assumption that it's just "trendy urbanites" and that everyone is throwing food away. Also not sure how setting up some tables and food trucks is conspicous consumption ......... I sat on a patio downtown this past weekend and had some drinks and appetizers - I'm sure that was going to far though as I'm positive there were homeless people in the area.

So on one hand we lament a lack of things to do downtown, etc - however it sounds like any business that operates there is just pushing consumption despite the presence of some poverty around it?

Ok............

Quote:
As for me, I'm staying away. I will be waiting for the 2nd Annual Rib Fest at the Cardinals stadium. You need a car to get to that, so I can be sure that hungry eyes won't be watching me as I chew on a bone.
Actually you don't need a car to get to that and the area not too far from the stadium is very poor. Don't worry though, they'll have tickets, security and other measures to make sure no poor people interrupt you ..... you can go on pretending they are not there, but they are and there is a lot of them

I'm sure you also moan about things like the Chocolate Affair in Glendale - that is super close to poverty and people are just throwing it in the poor peoples face that they can waste money on trinkets, fried foods and desert while they struggle to get by..........................

Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 PM

I see from the article that they are going to celebrate sustainability and environmental consciousness with this event. To that end they are going to kick it off with a food fight using "bruised" produce.

“I’m gonna be extremely thrilled if we demonstrate how walkable urban sustainability can feel and work,” he said.
The free event begins 2 p.m. April 13 and kicks off with a giant community salad toss, using bruised produce from local farmers.

Aiyee, liberals. Makes me wanna dig out my Peter, Paul and Mary vinyl.

This really may be an event to see.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:52 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,142,922 times
Quote:
I see from the article that they are going to celebrate sustainability and environmental consciousness with this event. To that end they are going to kick it off with a food fight using "bruised" produce.

“I’m gonna be extremely thrilled if we demonstrate how walkable urban sustainability can feel and work,” he said.
The free event begins 2 p.m. April 13 and kicks off with a giant community salad toss, using bruised produce from local farmers.

Aiyee, liberals. Makes me wanna dig out my Peter, Paul and Mary vinyl.

This really may be an event to see.
It's not a damn food fight. It's actually using local produce tossed by attendees on a large tarp and intended to be eaten.

"2:15 PM – Event Opening Salad Toss
Join us in the Feast’s opening event, the community salad toss. Guests gather round a recipe of fresh, local ingredients tossed parachute style in a massive tarp bringing the community together to make a tasty dish. After tossing, head over to the public market for the recipe and salad tastings from Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel’s Chef Brian Archibald."

Old 04-11-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
It's not a damn food fight. It's actually using local produce tossed by attendees on a large tarp and intended to be eaten.

"2:15 PM – Event Opening Salad Toss
Join us in the Feast’s opening event, the community salad toss. Guests gather round a recipe of fresh, local ingredients tossed parachute style in a massive tarp bringing the community together to make a tasty dish. After tossing, head over to the public market for the recipe and salad tastings from Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel’s Chef Brian Archibald."
Kumbaya! And see you there. I don't think it is intended to be eaten given that they are using "bruised" produce. It will be, well, tossed. Sounds like fun. (though I think throwing tomatoes at a passing Prius or chucking a head of lettuce at a tree-hugging neo-urbanist would be more fun).

Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 PM

357 posts, read 712,453 times
Quote:
Kumbaya! And see you there. I don't think it is intended to be eaten given that they are using "bruised" produce. It will be, well, tossed. Sounds like fun. (though I think throwing tomatoes at a passing Prius or chucking a head of lettuce at a tree-hugging neo-urbanist would be more fun).
Have you ever heard the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all"? It sounds like an interesting event for some, not all, but that's fine, nobody's forcing you to go! I like the idea and if I was going to be in town I would consider going. And downtown isn't bum city. So confused by the anger you have towards the event.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
Have you ever heard the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all"? It sounds like an interesting event for some, not all, but that's fine, nobody's forcing you to go! I like the idea and if I was going to be in town I would consider going. And downtown isn't bum city. So confused by the anger you have towards the event.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
I have no anger. Jeez. I'm poking fun at yet another silly attempt by Phoenix to be something it is not - an urban magnet. I have lived through bulldozing the flop houses and China Town, the Collier tower, AZ Center, Formula One racing, the lasers, the ice rink, the salacious art walk, Dodge theatre, the deck park, Lucky Strike, and dozens of other events and schemes for downtown Phoenix. This one caught my eye (and my sardonic sense of humor) because the person behind it had done the same thing in London and it worked so well. London? Phoenix? Yes, how could two cities be more similar? LOL.

Anyhow, like I said, I changed my mind and will go if I can find the time. I think it should be fun. I like the food from those specialty roach coaches. I won't eat at the communal table set up "like a wedding banquet with real linens" though. I'll just stand around and people watch, check out the bands etc. (mod cut- inappropriate)

Last edited by observer53; 04-12-2013 at 01:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area