Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 PM

156 posts, read 370,316 times

Advertisements

I just moved to town last month. I work near 43rd and Indian School, not a great area. I am staying with a friend in East Mesa, (60 and ellsworth). Needless to say this drive sucks. Pretty much all I am familiar with is mesa and tempe, I've looked at some of the cheaper housing aimed at students there, but a lot of it doesn look great. I have no problems with students but some of those apartments near the light rail right next to ASU look like converted old motels and look like students mixed with sketchy looking folk.

Where else should I look that is a reasonable drive to my work area? Preferably somewhere clean, nice and cheap(do those three words go together?). I was hoping tempe or scottsdale because i'd like to be near nightlife but scottsdale may be too pricey and as for tempe it won't be worth it to live in a craphole.

So enlighten me!

Near work
Clean
safe the nicer the better but i know I can't be too picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 09:10 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,944,101 times
What's your budget?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:28 PM

344 posts, read 813,087 times
Double take when I read nice area and Indian & 43rd in the same sentence.

From the wording it's obvious it's got to be economical. I'm not clear if you're also a student and have to be on the east side. There would be areas on the east side that someone can tell you about, but if you want to consider living on the westside I have some suggestions.

The area you work in is uniformly gritty, whereas the areas below have some solid areas, some of which I rented in. Choose a direction and take a leisurely drive through. Wander. Another day choose another and repeat:

--Laveen. South on 43rd to Van Buren and beyond to Baseline, look around. West on Baseline then north on 83rd back to Van Buren. Along each side of McDowell going west is also worth seeing.

--Part of the area to the west of the above will be Tolleson. Sample Van Buren in the 70s or 80s.

--From Indian north on 43rd to Camelback, Bethany, Glendale, Northern, Dunlap and surrounding streets.

If you lived there, it would be a little farther to nightspots but not a big deal unless it's a regular thing.

Last edited by sunluv; 03-09-2013 at 10:45 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 09:30 AM

606 posts, read 1,606,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageInAZ View Post
Where else should I look that is a reasonable drive to my work area? Preferably somewhere clean, nice and cheap(do those three words go together?). I was hoping tempe or scottsdale because i'd like to be near nightlife but scottsdale may be too pricey and as for tempe it won't be worth it to live in a craphole.

So enlighten me!

Near work
Clean
safe the nicer the better but i know I can't be too picky.
Well, first of all, neither Tempe or Scottsdale are close to 43rd Ave & Indian School, and you would still have a unpleasant commute from either of those locations.

I think the ideal location for you would be one of the apartment complexes or residential towers near Indian School & Central. That would be a very easy commute to work, plus you are very close to nightlife and you have easy access to the light rail for easy commuting to both downtown PHX and Tempe.

Or if you want walking distance to nightlife and excellent public transport options and still a decent commute, you could check out these two places (Both downtown PHX): Campaige Place Phoenix and The Monroe Street Abbey Apartments. You have to qualify to live there (income has to be below a certain level), but they are awesome locations for a young single person.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:42 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,418 times
Also if you are willing to go east on Indian School, around 9th Ave, there are some newly renovated apartments on the north side of the street with reasonable rents and they say washer and dryers in the units, and the area is decent around 7th Ave, Central, down towards 7th Street, and you are close to the "progressive district", with cool little night spots and restaurants. The rents will go up once you cross 7th Ave.

You could undoubtedly find some somewhat modern apartments with decent amenities and lower rents in Maryvale, where you are working, and be relatively safe, but you will just have to be a little more aware of your surroundings. Working and shopping in the area, and living there full time, are two different scenarios.

The Budget Suites at 7th Ave and Indian School is another option. A fully furnished 1 bedroom suite with a full kitchen, paid on a monthly basis will run you about $700-$750 a month including utilities. They have Cox basic cable and HBO, and wireless internet is $20 a month. No credit check. Pets ok. Move in immediately. You could consider that until you get a feel for where you want to live long term. A lot of people stay there for a few weeks or months or longer, until they find what they really want. No lease, when you find a place, just move. It is only about a 12 minute commute to your work, and you can walk to a lot of places from there, including the light rail.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:14 PM

105 posts, read 580,186 times
Old post but following up... I may be relocating to the Phoenix area for good and saw some newer houses being built within a few blocks from this intersection.

How is the area overall and is it safe? Is this area more for students going to GCU or families?

Old 07-15-2019, 08:03 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,452,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningbachk View Post
Old post but following up... I may be relocating to the Phoenix area for good and saw some newer houses being built within a few blocks from this intersection.

How is the area overall and is it safe? Is this area more for students going to GCU or families?
It's a relatively poor, high crime area, populated mostly by Hispanic families. I know that's pretty general, but I'm sure that's what you wanted to know.

Having said that, I'm sure a lot of people live there very happily and have never had any issues.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:54 AM

105 posts, read 580,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
It's a relatively poor, high crime area, populated mostly by Hispanic families. I know that's pretty general, but I'm sure that's what you wanted to know.

Having said that, I'm sure a lot of people live there very happily and have never had any issues.
Thanks! I’ve heard it was quite seedy before, any idea if it’s improved or there are attempts to make improvements in the area?

Old 07-16-2019, 10:28 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,576 times
It's one of the sketchier areas in the valley. Has it improved? maybe.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:47 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,452,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningbachk View Post
Thanks! I’ve heard it was quite seedy before, any idea if it’s improved or there are attempts to make improvements in the area?
I lived in that area in the mid 2000's, hence the screen name West Side Phoenix Pelón. It was a high crime area then and remains the same now, if not worse. There are certain low income / high crime areas in the city that I do believe either have gentrified or will begin to gentrify in the near future. I do not consider Maryvale to be one of those areas.

But is it convenient for you? Is it the right price point? Is there some other valid reason for you to live there? Well then do it. Just because it may be a higher crime area doesn't necessarily mean that you need to immediately rule it out. We all have to live somewhere and we can't all live in half-million dollar homes in all white neighborhoods and look down our nose at those who can't afford to do the same.

Best thing you could do might be to go out and spend a few hours in a restaurant or bar in the area. Have a few drinks or a meal and experience the ambiance for yourself and see if you could picture yourself living in the neighborhood. May I suggest Mariscos Vuelve a la Vida at 2915 N 43rd Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area