Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 PM

7 posts, read 12,400 times

Advertisements

OK, change of plans....I just got an offer from Banner Good Samaritan, and I'm inclined to take it because the money's a lot better. Any insight on this hospital and area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:46 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,245,456 times
good hospital - more of a teaching focus .... only real experience there was the Dr. who assisted with our 2nd delivery had her background there

located just off 7th st & mcdowell - more of the midtown area .... should be plenty of safe apartments within that area ... very close to downtown .... one of my coworkers has been living by 7th ave & indian school in an apartment complex ... may have to be a little more cautious when picking housing, but a lot of good options - a ton of independent restaurants and what not there

as for the rest of the ammenities, I really have no idea

Old 12-07-2012, 04:00 PM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxjenjen View Post
OK, change of plans....I just got an offer from Banner Good Samaritan, and I'm inclined to take it because the money's a lot better. Any insight on this hospital and area?
The hospital is OK, but the area is a crime infested, run down, dump in comparison to Goodyear West Valley Hosp. I would not want to live in any apartments near Good Sam. Maybe you could find something decent, but the area is not that desirable. You would be wise to commute from a nicer area.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM

depends how you define area .... there are a lot of adjacent historic neighborhoods which are nice and a lot of new residential along the central corridor - there are fine neighborhoods and apartments within 5 miles from there and obviously a lot more if not commute adverse ..... the biltmore area is about exactly 5 miles away and wouldn't be considered a crime infested, run down, dump

you will have to be a bit more cautious about exactly where you are in the area - but still plenty of fine options, just different than the SWV

Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,236,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The hospital is OK, but the area is a crime infested, run down, dump in comparison to Goodyear West Valley Hosp. I would not want to live in any apartments near Good Sam. Maybe you could find something decent, but the area is not that desirable. You would be wise to commute from a nicer area.
^^This.

Good Sam is a busy Level I trauma center, with a diverse clientele. I would work there without hesitation, (even the night shift), but I wouldn't live near there.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,236,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
depends how you define area .... there are a lot of adjacent historic neighborhoods which are nice and a lot of new residential along the central corridor - there are fine neighborhoods and apartments within 5 miles from there and obviously a lot more if not commute adverse ..... the biltmore area is about exactly 5 miles away and wouldn't be considered a crime infested, run down, dump

you will have to be a bit more cautious about exactly where you are in the area - but still plenty of fine options, just different than the SWV
Agreed, however, without the luxury of being here and seeing the each area yourself first, I wouldn't recommend to anyone they live in the vicinity of Good Sam - especially with two teenagers.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,170,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxjenjen View Post
Good Sam has an excellent reputation! I've always been pleased with all levels of care I've received there.

As mentioned, it's in the midtown area of the city, which I absolutely love. I'm an urban dweller, though, so am not alarmed by diversity or the usual urban issues. I strongly disagree that the area is "a dump." Having said that, it's urban, older, and you won't not find cookie cutter developments and endless malls like Goodyear and other suburbs. For me, that's a huge plus. Apples and oranges. The historic districts near the hospital are charming, and there are tons of independent businesses, restaurants, and coffee places. Midtown and the central corridor are among my favorite areas of Phoenix, aside from Arcadia.

With two teens, I probably wouldn't look for housing in the immediate area, but it's a very short hop to areas with large apartment complexes if that's what you prefer. The Biltmore area is very nice and a quick commute, as are places adjacent to the 51 freeway.

I'm not sure about finding furnished apartments (you might Google furnished corporate housing or VRBO). Good luck!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:18 PM

73 posts, read 152,873 times
My husband works at Good Sam and we live out in Goodyear-- if you had your heart set on this area, it is a very reasonable commute, depending on if you would be driving in rush hour or not. I'd agree with others though about the area-- when we first moved out here he thought he wanted to be as close to work as possible, but after comparing that area to our other options, we decided otherwise. The good thing about Good Sam is that it is in a very central location, so you would have a lot of options for safe, nice areas to live within a reasonable commute.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:19 AM

7 posts, read 12,400 times
Just thought I'd follow-up on this thread...

I took the job at Good Sam, and my agency put me up in an apartment at 12th and Osborn. Decent gated complex, we felt pretty safe. Not a very walkable area though, but we were close to lots of good stuff. In my immediate neighborhood, I found a coffee shop that I loved, and a dog park that my dog loved. We had a great time in Central Phoenix, and I was glad to be so close to work (took 7 minutes to get to Good Sam). Thanks for all your help!

Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the update and glad it worked out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area