Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:09 PM

39 posts, read 160,216 times

Advertisements

My husband might have a new job opportunity in Mesa Az. We are a young family - I'm Chinese, husband's Caucasian and we have 3 kids 4 and under

We know nothing about AZ. Are the three cities close enough that we can consider staying in Scottsdale or Gilbert while working in Mesa?

Any nice and safe sections with good schools? I myself hate driving on the highway and busy roads. Also, anyone knows if there are Asian grocery stores in any of these cities?

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2007, 08:10 PM

Sorry! Should add that we are looking to rent. $1600 is reasonable?

Old 08-31-2007, 09:32 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadlifestyle View Post
Sorry! Should add that we are looking to rent. $1600 is reasonable?
Gilbert is nice check zip 85236. 1600 should get you a nice rental. Lee Lee in Chandler is a good Asian store. You can also find some Asian products at AJ's as well as Trader Joe's.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:57 AM

124 posts, read 413,398 times
Thats what I was going to say Gilbert is great and lee lees market in Chandler

Old 09-01-2007, 03:56 AM

Default How about Chandler then?

Thanks for your replies!

If he works in Mesa, do you recommend Chandler then? I hear they have great schools?

Does Gilbert live up to it's ranking in Money's Best Cities (16th)?

Old 09-01-2007, 09:42 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Tradtionally; there has been very little prejudice against White/Asian couples, especially if the wife is Oriental here in the USA.

Your kids may; if anything, be mistaken for either Hispanic (most Latinos in the USA are actually of partial Native American stock....of which they are a genetic Asian group) or possibly Italian.

A friend of mine who is of Hungarian heritage looks Eurasian------she has the inner eye folds, high cheekbones, etc. yet is 100% 'White' legally speaking.

As for lots of Asian retailers; try the Southern/Dobson area of Mesa; it is barely E of Tempe.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:01 PM

63 posts, read 264,846 times
Default Info on Chandler

Quote:
Thanks for your replies!

If he works in Mesa, do you recommend Chandler then? I hear they have great schools?

Does Gilbert live up to it's ranking in Money's Best Cities (16th)?
Regarding Chandler. Don't laugh, but the AARP Magazine voted Chandler one of the top 5 places to live in the country, and not just for people who want to retire, but for younger families too. It's in their Sept/Oct issue. Here's a quote from the article: "one of the planning goals has been to develop a complete, diverse, family-oriented city...well-designed neighborhoods, parks, open space, greenbelts for walking, recreation and educations programs, plus attractive neighborhood centers and commercial areas..."

Also, Prevention Magazine voted Chandler among the "10 best towns in the nation for walking".

They note in the AARP article that the median housing price in Chandler is $297,900; Average temperatures 56.1 (January) 94.8 (July) - I find that one hard to swallow, but they are going on 'averages'.

Just so you know, Chandler is NOT a retirement city. There is a good blend of older, middle, and young families there.

I've only been to Chandler a handful of times, but it looks very nice to me. I live in the northwest part of the valley, so we only get down that way (Chandler/Mesa areas) when we have a function to go to there.

Since you are going to rent first, you will be able to make a much more educated decision about where you want to live permanently in the Valley once you are actually living here, your husband sees if his commute is bad from the area you are renting in, and so forth.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:43 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,311 times
Any of those towns are fine. I live in Gilbert, and I feel very safe. There's also a good sense of community here (and I'm not even mormon...sorry haha). I agree that Gilbert is one of the nicest places I've lived. There are some spots in Mesa and Chandler to avoid, but overall, both are very nice places to live too. Oh, I'm in zip code 85234, just south of the Mesa, and just east/north of the Chandler borders. I don't frequent Asian markets much, but I agree, Trader Joe's has a lot of international foods. Also, I've visited the Chinese Cultural Center on 44th St and the 202 freeway, and there were some nice markets there.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:00 AM

Thank you so much guys! Will post again if something comes through with the job. Can't wait to see AZ!

Old 09-03-2007, 10:15 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Thank you so much guys! Will post again if something comes through with the job. Can't wait to see AZ!
Side note: a recent former mayor of Mesa was of Chinese heritage; Willie Wong, he had to leave politics due to medical problems------otherwise Wong would likely have been a state legislator or possibly the governor by now.

And Wing F Ong was the first person of Asian heritage to be elected to political office on at least the Mainland-------here in Arizona back in 1945!

Of course there is Ishikawa Elementary School also in Mesa; it was named in honor of an old Mesa family who had a son pass away from a heart attack while playing HS sports back in the 1930's. The family was of Japanese lineage. And Brian Ishikawa as an Az state judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area