Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:31 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,331,620 times

Advertisements

In my previous light rail ideas, I had two separate lines - the Pink Line serving Chandler, Gilbert, and East Mesa via Chandler Boulevard, Williams Field Road, and Power Road, and the Brown Line serving Scottsdale, Tempe, and west Chandler via Scottsdale Road, Rural Road, and a small segment of Chandler Boulevard (ending at Chandler Fashion Center).

In a prior thread, there were some comments about how the Pink Line would not be enough to serve commuters in Chandler and Gilbert. So, as an idea, what about combining the two lines into a single unified Pink Line serving Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, and East Mesa via Scottsdale Road, Rural Road, Chandler Boulevard, Williams Field Road, and Power Road?

Such a line would mostly be outside of the undesirable areas, which could ease some of Scottsdale's concerns of bringing in the undesirables by forcing them to make a connection. Perhaps Chandler and Gilbert residents may want an easy link into Scottsdale.

Think about the destinations along the line - Kierland Commons, Scottsdale Fashion Square, Old Town Scottsdale, ASU Tempe, Intel, Chandler Fashion Center, Downtown Chandler, SanTan Village, ASU Poly, and Superstition Springs Center. I think such a line would be popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 11:34 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,183 times
Not trying to be rude but why not continue this in your prior threads?

Old 10-31-2016, 11:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
In my previous light rail ideas, I had two separate lines - the Pink Line serving Chandler, Gilbert, and East Mesa via Chandler Boulevard, Williams Field Road, and Power Road, and the Brown Line serving Scottsdale, Tempe, and west Chandler via Scottsdale Road, Rural Road, and a small segment of Chandler Boulevard (ending at Chandler Fashion Center).

In a prior thread, there were some comments about how the Pink Line would not be enough to serve commuters in Chandler and Gilbert. So, as an idea, what about combining the two lines into a single unified Pink Line serving Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, and East Mesa via Scottsdale Road, Rural Road, Chandler Boulevard, Williams Field Road, and Power Road?

Such a line would mostly be outside of the undesirable areas, which could ease some of Scottsdale's concerns of bringing in the undesirables. Perhaps Chandler and Gilbert residents may want an easy link into Scottsdale.

Think about the destinations along the line - Kierland Commons, Scottsdale Fashion Square, Old Town Scottsdale, ASU Tempe, Intel, Chandler Fashion Center, Downtown Chandler, SanTan Village, ASU Poly, and Superstition Springs Center. I think such a line would be popular.

Same old arguments against as have been stated here on your other threads in the past. People are not going to use light rail to travel from mall to mall in different cities. And if you think Scottsdale is interested in having light rail up Scottsdale Road to Fashion Square, you really are "dreaming". They have a fine bus line serving that area and more now, for those that want it. They are NOT going to tear up downtown Scottsdale for light rail.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:53 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,331,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Same old arguments against as have been stated here on your other threads in the past. People are not going to use light rail to travel from mall to mall in different cities. And if you think Scottsdale is interested in having light rail up Scottsdale Road to Fashion Square, you really are "dreaming". They have a fine bus line serving that area and more now, for those that want it. They are NOT going to tear up downtown Scottsdale for light rail.
So by your argument, might as well not serve the malls at all by neither light rail nor buses. Malls are major ridership generators.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
So by your argument, might as well not serve the malls at all by neither light rail nor buses. Malls are major ridership generators.

But not from mall to mall to mall. No one would spend their day doing that. People drive to the mall or malls closest to them, often combining it with other errands. Some do take a bus to the nearest mall served by the bus, IF they don't have a car. No one who lives within reasonable driving distance of a mall, and has a working car, takes the bus instead. The malls are as much or more park and rides/transportation centers for people to take buses to work than they are destinations. Metrocenter, for one, hasn't been a destination for a long time. That's why there's so much space for the park and ride.

And, I agree with the other poster... isn't this just an extension of one of your other threads on this subject?

Old 10-31-2016, 05:01 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Not trying to be rude but why not continue this in your prior threads?
Or not continue it at all. Discuss your personal fantasy with your own self.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:56 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Or not continue it at all. Discuss your personal fantasy with your own self.
Thank you!

I want flying unicorns to take me from point A to point B and my own personal pool boy to go into the kitchen and get me a cold one while his backup fans me with a palm frond, but you don't see me posting ad nauseam about it.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:16 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
But not from mall to mall to mall. No one would spend their day doing that. People drive to the mall or malls closest to them, often combining it with other errands. Some do take a bus to the nearest mall served by the bus, IF they don't have a car. No one who lives within reasonable driving distance of a mall, and has a working car, takes the bus instead. The malls are as much or more park and rides/transportation centers for people to take buses to work than they are destinations. Metrocenter, for one, hasn't been a destination for a long time. That's why there's so much space for the park and ride.

And, I agree with the other poster... isn't this just an extension of one of your other threads on this subject?
Well-written.

Light rail should be expanded to the suburban areas but not from mall to mall.

People aren't going to use it for the purpose of shopping in malls, they will use it for commuting to work and school, or where there's nightlife, and where there are public events like in downtown and the Mill district in Tempe.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:59 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:

Such a line would mostly be outside of the undesirable areas, which could ease some of Scottsdale's concerns of bringing in the undesirables by forcing them to make a connection. Perhaps Chandler and Gilbert residents may want an easy link into Scottsdale.

If a section of light rail were to be funded by Pink (the pop singer), maybe this idea would have some merit. I'm highly doubtful of this, however, because chances are that Pink would rather be seen with Bruce Springsteen ... in a pink Cadillac! Now, if Prince was still alive, I'm sure you could find a way to ask him to fund a special light rail route, and call it the Purple Line!
()

Old 11-04-2016, 02:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
I guess I can see a point to having it run from mall to mall so long as it crosses through dense areas. Malls have large parking areas and are population magnets. And for that I see where Jazz is going with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area