Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 02:29 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,366,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I guess I can see a point to having it run from mall to mall so long as it crosses through dense areas. Malls have large parking areas and are population magnets. And for that I see where Jazz is going with this.
This modified Pink Line idea would not just serve the malls. Other major catchment areas include Old Town Scottsdale, ASU, Intel, Downtown Chandler, and ASU Poly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 03:00 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
This modified Pink Line idea would not just serve the malls. Other major catchment areas include Old Town Scottsdale, ASU, Intel, Downtown Chandler, and ASU Poly.

Light rail is not marching up Scottsdale Road into Old Town to Fashion Square. You can scrap that part of your "plan".

Old 11-04-2016, 03:05 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,974,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Light rail is not marching up Scottsdale Road into Old Town to Fashion Square. You can scrap that part of your "plan".
Maybe not right now, but you get the right people on city council with a sort of vision and it's possible. A LR line from Mill up to Old Town would be immensely popular.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Maybe not right now, but you get the right people on city council with a sort of vision and it's possible. A LR line from Mill up to Old Town would be immensely popular.

The business community in Scottsdale would NEVER stand for the middle of Old Town being torn up for construction for YEARS. Scottsdale Rd in stretches through Old Town is not that wide, either. A mess, during and after.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:44 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,646,508 times
Quote:
The business community in Scottsdale would NEVER stand for the middle of Old Town being torn up for construction for YEARS. Scottsdale Rd in stretches through Old Town is not that wide, either. A mess, during and after.
That same argument could have been used against Washington or Central while those were all tore up for almost 4 years, even right in the heart of downtown Phoenix, but it still got done

Old 11-07-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That same argument could have been used against Washington or Central while those were all tore up for almost 4 years, even right in the heart of downtown Phoenix, but it still got done

Actually, no. Comparing the attitudes of Phoenix and Scottsdale about such things is truly apples and oranges. Totally different outlook and mindset, and different environment. Dealing with light rail construction in areas with a lot of small businesses that depend on a lot of customer traffic results in failure for those small businesses. Going up Central Avenue didn't have nearly as much of that as there is in downtown Scottsdale. Small businesses along the Phoenix route did have trouble, (I'm thinking of along Washington/Jefferson and Camelback) but there were not as many of them as in Scottsdale. And, downtown Scottsdale (and Scottsdale Road) is a more congested (and I don't just mean traffic) than the route of the light rail in Phoenix.

And, I don't think they want it in downtown Scottsdale if it could be built overnight and not disrupt anything for construction.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:49 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,974,660 times
Quote:
Actually, no. Comparing the attitudes of Phoenix and Scottsdale about such things is truly apples and oranges. Totally different outlook and mindset, and different environment. Dealing with light rail construction in areas with a lot of small businesses that depend on a lot of customer traffic results in failure for those small businesses. Going up Central Avenue didn't have nearly as much of that as there is in downtown Scottsdale. Small businesses along the Phoenix route did have trouble, (I'm thinking of along Washington/Jefferson and Camelback) but there were not as many of them as in Scottsdale. And, downtown Scottsdale (and Scottsdale Road) is a more congested (and I don't just mean traffic) than the route of the light rail in Phoenix.

And, I don't think they want it in downtown Scottsdale if it could be built overnight and not disrupt anything for construction.
Aren't you just in the know? Truth is we don't know what can or will happen.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Aren't you just in the know? Truth is we don't know what can or will happen.

No one knows for sure, of course. what will happen. But I've lived in this Valley a very long time (Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe) and observing the various local political trends. Just making the most educated prediction I can make, based on the knowledge I have to work with. We will see.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:40 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
I guess I can see a point to having it run from mall to mall so long as it crosses through dense areas. Malls have large parking areas and are population magnets. And for that I see where Jazz is going with this.
It's also silly to just allude to Fashion Square as being a "mall" It's much more than that. That area is our nightlife and entertainment hub for the Valley. There should be some public transportation to that area. It would keep a lot of drunk drivers off the road. Maybe it doesn't have to go up Scottsdale road but we do look pedestrian not having some type of public transportation going in that area. Also, it makes me laugh how people keep referring to busses as solutions. Only in Phoenix....the parochial mindset rears its ugly head

Old 11-07-2016, 08:49 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,366,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's also silly to just allude to Fashion Square as being a "mall" It's much more than that. That area is our nightlife and entertainment hub for the Valley. There should be some public transportation to that area. It would keep a lot of drunk drivers off the road. Maybe it doesn't have to go up Scottsdale road but we do look pedestrian not having some type of public transportation going in that area. Also, it makes me laugh how people keep referring to busses as solutions. Only in Phoenix....the parochial mindset rears its ugly head
At first I had the idea of two separate lines - a Brown Line going from Chandler Fashion Center to Frank Lloyd Wright via Rural/Scottsdale, and a Pink Line serving Chandler Fashion Center, Downtown Chandler, SanTan Village, ASU Poly, and Superstition Springs via Chandler Boulevard, Williams Field Road, and Power Road.

In this updated idea, combining the two routes into one single Pink Line might maximize ridership. At the same time, the combined route would be mostly outside of the undesirable areas, easing Scottsdale's concerns that light rail would bring the undesirables into their city, forcing them to make a connection from the existing light rail (which would be the Red Line in my system).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area