Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 03:18 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,170 times

Advertisements

Well it appears that we will be moving out of Indiana for my husband's job in S Scottsdale (off Scottsdale Rd near Hayden and MacDowell) and we are very happy.

We definitely like Gilbert and Chandler, further North, but I am also looking at North Scottsdale. We have children from ages 5-16, so highly rated public schools are a necessity. Also safety. I like the look and feel of both areas though they are different.

I am aware of the reputation Scottsdale has(as snobby), but I really like some of the older homes there with bigger yards, and some of the High Schools sound pretty good. My high schoolers are smart and creative girls, and the area we live in now has a certain amount of wealth, but is N Scottsdale/Paradise Valley Schools going to be too much culture shock for us? We drive a Kia minivan. The real estate bust has made that area more affordable but would we be looked down on by most, a few I can handle!

Is there a significant difference between these two drives? Would the drive up Scottsdale Rd- I know its a long haul -be very different from the drive South to Gilbert? Would either area be better for community colleges? The Art Institute? Any opinions are welcome, the perfect home may make up our mind, but we intend to live in the home a long time so we don't want to choose the wrong area or commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 06:27 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
Well it appears that we will be moving out of Indiana for my husband's job in S Scottsdale (off Scottsdale Rd near Hayden and MacDowell) and we are very happy.

We definitely like Gilbert and Chandler, further North, but I am also looking at North Scottsdale. We have children from ages 5-16, so highly rated public schools are a necessity. Also safety. I like the look and feel of both areas though they are different.

I am aware of the reputation Scottsdale has(as snobby), but I really like some of the older homes there with bigger yards, and some of the High Schools sound pretty good. My high schoolers are smart and creative girls, and the area we live in now has a certain amount of wealth, but is N Scottsdale/Paradise Valley Schools going to be too much culture shock for us? We drive a Kia minivan. The real estate bust has made that area more affordable but would we be looked down on by most, a few I can handle!

Is there a significant difference between these two drives? Would the drive up Scottsdale Rd- I know its a long haul -be very different from the drive South to Gilbert? Would either area be better for community colleges? The Art Institute? Any opinions are welcome, the perfect home may make up our mind, but we intend to live in the home a long time so we don't want to choose the wrong area or commute.

I don't think that traffic here ever gets THAT bad as compared to other places that I've lived. They do have a tendency to shutdown large chunks of freeway to do work here, more than anywhere else, but otherwise, traffic is only really a limited concern. If your husband is going to be working around Hayden/McDowell then you're definitely closer to the eastern side of the valley, so Gilbert wouldn't be a bad commute at all. I can't attest to the school quality there but I'm sure you could Google that information with no problem.

There's nothing wrong with North Scottsdale, it definitely has a reputation but it can be somewhat exaggerated. There's kid of all ethnic and economic groupings that attend the schools, the area tends to be pretty safe as well.

If it were up to me, I'd choose North Scottsdale, but there's some great areas in Gilbert, the real estate is definitely cheaper and its still a growing area with a lot families....etc.

Have you visited down here? Sometimes just driving through the neighborhoods is enough to get an idea of where you want to live and there's some really pretty areas out in North Scottsdale.

As far as Community Colleges go, Scottsdale Community College is right off the 101, and in the East Valley you have Chandler-Gilbert Community College and Mesa Community College. They are all part of the same Maricopa County Community College system and seem to be of pretty good quality all-around.

I don't know that there's any particular advantage to any one location although I suppose the field of study will determine that as while most campuses offer a lot of the same courses, there's specialization that comes into play, certain courses you can only take at one campus and not the other....etc.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:23 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,073 times
North Scottsdale is much much better than Gilbert, the schools and communities are much more family oriented and not as snobby as some may think. The commute from North to South Scottsdale is not bad either, can be quick depending on where exactly you're going, but the 101 runs along the border of Scottsdale and makes easy access.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:35 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
North Scottsdale is nicer, with better shopping and dining. Gilbert is much more family oriented than Scottsdale, and Scottsdale DEFINITELY has the "keeping up with the Jones'" mentality. Lots of snobbery. Gilbert is more conservative, and has some influence from the Mormon Church, but is mostly middle class families.

Both areas have equally as highly rated public schools. There are private schools in both cities. The commute is pretty similar if you are talking Northwest Gilbert, but Southeast Gilbert is waaaay out there.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:36 PM

All good info. Thank you!

With 4 kids cannot really know what the specialties will be! Graphic Art is a definite interest for now.

Do you have an idea which drive would be better? We have visited, looked at the neighborhoods in Gilbert mostly, less in Scottsdale. More of the areas right by Scottsdale Rd. I really like the authentic desert feel of Scottsdale, I am an artistic/design person, as are my girls, so we would appreciate the beautiful design in Scottsdale.( My husband and little dude like to be outside). Also I have worked in high end retail and interior design so there may be more opportunities for me. I just don't want my kids coming home from school rolling their eyes about how cliquish everyone is. Yeah it will happen but I don't want an extreme case of it!

We are looking forward to more diversity than we have here, so that's a plus. But we want a fairly peaceful, safe school. Violence would freak my girls out, they are pretty sheltered in that regard.

When my husband goes out next, I'll have him try both drives. Right now he has a 10 minute commute so he has it pretty good!

Old 02-26-2010, 07:39 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
I'd pick Scottsdale too. Gilbert's a good enough place, but Scottsdale has restaurants, shopping, entertainment that Gilbert will never have. As for how you will fit in, unless you are going far NORTH, North Scottsdale, it is not that exclusive. The reputation Scottsdale derives from its high end housing does not reflect reality of most of the city. Most Gilbert kids and Scottsdale kids are from affluent families and are spoiled with clothes, parties, cell plans, and such in roughly equal measure.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:41 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
All good info. Thank you!

With 4 kids cannot really know what the specialties will be! Graphic Art is a definite interest for now.

Do you have an idea which drive would be better? We have visited, looked at the neighborhoods in Gilbert mostly, less in Scottsdale. More of the areas right by Scottsdale Rd. I really like the authentic desert feel of Scottsdale, I am an artistic/design person, as are my girls, so we would appreciate the beautiful design in Scottsdale.( My husband and little dude like to be outside). Also I have worked in high end retail and interior design so there may be more opportunities for me. I just don't want my kids coming home from school rolling their eyes about how cliquish everyone is. Yeah it will happen but I don't want an extreme case of it!

We are looking forward to more diversity than we have here, so that's a plus. But we want a fairly peaceful, safe school. Violence would freak my girls out, they are pretty sheltered in that regard.

When my husband goes out next, I'll have him try both drives. Right now he has a 10 minute commute so he has it pretty good!
There will be a culture shock no matter which city you choose. Gilbert is also "upper middle class", and you see soccer moms driving Range Rovers, 7 year olds with cell phones, etc. Scottsdale is just on a little larger scale. It sounds to me that Scottsdale is a better fit for you, since you like the desert and high end shopping. Your kids will "adapt" to the lifestyle, but like I said, there's no getting away from it whichever way you go.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:41 PM

Well it sounds like the commute could be similar.
A bit of conflicting ideas on which has more family amenities, but that's good cause it means they both have them.

We are more likely to end up in Gilbert due to price but but there are a few good deals in N Scottsdale if we don't need a really new home, and we don't.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
you probably won't be driving "up Scottsdale Rd" to get to N Scotts from McDowell....you almost certainly would use 101, huge traffic jam or not...you'd also use 101 to get down to Gilbert/Chandler....

Scottsdale: you'll see the snob appeal of N Scotts. in the occasional (frequent?) Lexus-driving trophy wife on her way to the spa.....areas around Pinnacle Peak/Troon, DC Ranch, and some other developments may have the most of this appeal...others areas are more down-to-Earth...you will see lots of expensive cars, self-important drivers, upscale stuff....I hope you are secure enough not to worry about driving a Kia...I often think one has to be insecure to need to validate themselves by driving an ultra-expensive vehicle....yes, your kids may feel some pressure to "keep up", but good parents can instill adequate self-confidence in kids....a large family home on a large lot (as you wanted) in N Scotts may be >$750K.....yes, prices are way down....

Chandler/Gilbert: I'm not quite as familiar with these spots...both have excellent reps, Gilbert more so, as healthy family suburbs....mostly newish houses less than 20 years old....Chandler is a little bit more convenient to stuff....Gilbert is a bit newer feeling than most of Chandler....maybe not as many large lots as N Scotts....Gilbert has a rep as being mostly LDS (Mormon), but they certainly aren't living in a vacuum....

you'll need to come out and spend several days with a knowledgeable realtor...drive around and get a feel....lots of choices

Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
There will be a culture shock no matter which city you choose. Gilbert is also "upper middle class", and you see soccer moms driving Range Rovers, 7 year olds with cell phones, etc. Scottsdale is just on a little larger scale. It sounds to me that Scottsdale is a better fit for you, since you like the desert and high end shopping. Your kids will "adapt" to the lifestyle, but like I said, there's no getting away from it whichever way you go.
Actually we live in an affluent area right now so all this is pretty common to us. Range Rovers,Hummers, Mercedes Wagons line the carpool lane. But its balanced by lots of middle class stuff too. And the Midwest ethic stops lots of that "Super Sweet 16" crap we see on tv.The kids are pretty nice here.

The high end retail is for me to work in, not buy! All I ask of life is to shop at Trader Joes once more as I did in CA...and I can do that in Gilbert or Scottsdale,so I'll be good.

We are not spending $750G thats for sure. Maybe the homes I have seen for under $400 G are not what they appear. Large home means2700+, large lot means at least 10,000 but many are larger. Need updates, no granite, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area