Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 03:59 AM

919 posts, read 3,395,257 times

Advertisements

Why N. Scottsdale or N. Gilbert? There are nice areas of Central/S. Scottsdale, Tempe, Arcadia and other places that are only 15-20 minutes from Hubby's work - via surface streets, not freeways.

You aspire for cultural and economic diversity but are focusing on two of the most affluent, sterile, Stepford-like areas in the region. I saw that with a smile. There's nothing wrong with them, but you are also limiting your options if only focused on the NE and SE corners of the metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 08:34 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Um, pretty much anything east of 56th street onwards is Scottsdale, so yes, Kierland is absolutely inside Scottsdale, as well as Scottsdale Quarter, not sure where you're getting these claims from? If you go west down Greenway, a few blocks from Kierland is a shopping plaza with a Fry's and a Safeway, they are all inside Scottsdale, so what exactly are you arguing?

For the record, I'm with Karma, Chandler is alright, but I far more prefer the activities and places to go inside Scottsdale. If they can get a great deal on property in North Scottsdale, that'd be the place to go.
Um, Kierland is absolutely not in Scottsdale, it is in Phoenix. The developer wanted it to have a Scottsdale address and Scottsdale ZIP for marketing reasons with the intention that people would be fooled, and I see that it has worked. It doesn't really matter, as it meshes with Scottsdale well, much like the Tempe neighborhood that I used to live in that was partly in Tempe and partly in Chandler. In the end, the only difference is who picks up your trash and which police agency comes.

I guess a way to prove this is to do a street view inside of the Kierland subdivision, and notice that the street signs are City of Phoenix signs, not Scottsdale.

I don't have a problem at all with that area of Scottsdale, but it sounded like the OP had ruled out Scottsdale later in the thread and has focused on Gilbert. I just think Chandler gives a little bit more of what Scottsdale has to offer (shopping and dining wise) for a price a little closer to Gilbert's.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Why N. Scottsdale or N. Gilbert? There are nice areas of Central/S. Scottsdale, Tempe, Arcadia and other places that are only 15-20 minutes from Hubby's work - via surface streets, not freeways.

You aspire for cultural and economic diversity but are focusing on two of the most affluent, sterile, Stepford-like areas in the region. I saw that with a smile. There's nothing wrong with them, but you are also limiting your options if only focused on the NE and SE corners of the metro area.
South Tempe would be an EXCELLENT choice. I used to live in Warner Ranch, and there's lots of houses in the Tempe section that are on really large lots. They were built in the late 1980's, but the only problem is that the single story homes maxed out at about 2,400 Square Feet. The slightly newer Chandler section had 2,800 Square Foot single stories, but smaller lots (still large by today's standards, though). Corona del Sol is also an excellent High School. You're probably talking 10 miles from there to Scottsdale/McDowell, all taking surface roads.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:11 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,986 times
[quote=joninaz;13078197]Why N. Scottsdale or N. Gilbert? There are nice areas of Central/S. Scottsdale, Tempe, Arcadia and other places that are only 15-20 minutes from Hubby's work - via surface streets, not freeways.

You aspire for cultural and economic diversity but are focusing on two of the most affluent, sterile, Stepford-like areas in the region. I saw that with a smile. There's nothing wrong with them, but you are also limiting your options if only focused on the NE and SE corners of the metro area.[/quote

Well, Affluent + Stepford= $$ for schools. We have kids ages 5-16 so all 3 public schools have to be good from K-12 , and the reputation of the schools adds to the home values. At least that's how it works where I live, and it sounds similar there.

Brownies and milk anyone?

Believe me, just by moving to AZ, we will see a change in culture and diversity. But I really do appreciate all the viewpoints.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:27 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Um, Kierland is absolutely not in Scottsdale, it is in Phoenix. The developer wanted it to have a Scottsdale address and Scottsdale ZIP for marketing reasons with the intention that people would be fooled, and I see that it has worked. It doesn't really matter, as it meshes with Scottsdale well, much like the Tempe neighborhood that I used to live in that was partly in Tempe and partly in Chandler. In the end, the only difference is who picks up your trash and which police agency comes.

I guess a way to prove this is to do a street view inside of the Kierland subdivision, and notice that the street signs are City of Phoenix signs, not Scottsdale.

I don't have a problem at all with that area of Scottsdale, but it sounded like the OP had ruled out Scottsdale later in the thread and has focused on Gilbert. I just think Chandler gives a little bit more of what Scottsdale has to offer (shopping and dining wise) for a price a little closer to Gilbert's.
You're technically right, anything EAST of Scottsdale Rd is Scottsdale, but considering that Kierland is right on Scottsdale it makes sense that it would be considered Scottsdale not Phoenix, hence the Scottsdale address.

To say what is North and what is just Scottsdale is really defined by the people since there is no real boundries, but if you look at a map of Scottsdale you'll see that the center of Scottsdale is located around Shea, so anything north of that could be considered North Scottsdale, or just North Central.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
You're technically right, anything EAST of Scottsdale Rd is Scottsdale, but considering that Kierland is right on Scottsdale it makes sense that it would be considered Scottsdale not Phoenix, hence the Scottsdale address.

To say what is North and what is just Scottsdale is really defined by the people since there is no real boundries, but if you look at a map of Scottsdale you'll see that the center of Scottsdale is located around Shea, so anything north of that could be considered North Scottsdale, or just North Central.
That, I can agree with. To me, I break Scottsdale into 4 categories: North, Central, Old Town and South Scottsdale. They all have their different identities and personalities to me, but where the actual boundaries are is a little fuzzy. Since the types of houses and geography changes North of the 101, I always refer to that as North Scottsdale, but I can see how someone considers somewhere like Raintree Road North as well.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:36 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times
Quote:
That, I can agree with. To me, I break Scottsdale into 4 categories: North, Central, Old Town and South Scottsdale. They all have their different identities and personalities to me, but where the actual boundaries are is a little fuzzy. Since the types of houses and geography changes North of the 101, I always refer to that as North Scottsdale, but I can see how someone considers somewhere like Raintree Road North as well.
Don't get me wrong I wasn't trying to argue with you just provide the information about the commute times.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:54 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,986 times
I may find that some of the$>400G Homes that I see in N Scottsdale that are larger are not as desirable an area as I think, but I have seen some that meet our needs. They are in Horizon or Desert Mountain High areas, which sound like neat schools, esp. for art.

Part of the reason I like Scottsdale is because there are older ranches there on larger lots that look interesting. Because of their age and lack of total renovation, they are affordable to us. We are certainly not spending over $700 G as someone suggested!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
Quote:
heck, anything N of Cactus or so is "North Scottsdale" to me!!....but I remember as a kid (in the late 70s) riding "enduros" thru the desert down the CAP "levee" to Taliesin from about where Rawhide was...not a house or building in sight (N of the canal)....

areas N of Cactus and W of Scottsdale Rd are in the City of Phoenix, but have a Scottsdale mailing address...also, you may like the 85254 zip code as it may have some larger lots (but older houses)....it's very convenient and desirable...again, it's City of Phoenix, but Scottsdale mailing address (some like the appearance of "living" in Scotts.!)

Old 03-02-2010, 02:11 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Keep in mind that when people are referring to Gilbert they are essentially talking about South East Gilbert because that is the nicest, newest and most upscale area of Gilbert with Val Vista Lakes, San Tan Village area and Mercy-Gilbert hospital. Northwest Gilbert is relatively old and really just an extension of Mesa. If your husband is working in South Scottsdale, I would rather look at South Tempe or North Chandler as they are also upscale (BMW/Mercedes/Audi dealerships, Whole Foods, Chandler Mall) and it's much closer to South Scottsdale than Gilbert.

Scottsdale can be very judgemental. I'm a physician and make a comfortable living but I love my Hyundai and wear comfortable clothes when I'm out and about during the day (fleece sweats, sneakers, baseball hat). In Chandler and South Tempe, I can wear clothes like this and still be treated with respect in restaurants and stores. If I go shopping or dining in Scottsdale, I will definitely dress well because if you don't, you won't be treated well. I remember valeting my car at the James hotel in Scottsdale when it was open back in the day and they wouldn't valet it...I'm serious. I laughed but that's Scottsdale for you. They are very jugemental with regard to material wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area