Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM

412 posts, read 679,382 times

Advertisements

Lets hear from all of you in the master planned communities in the East Valley.... does your community have a "small town/neighborhood" feel to it... or just another cookie cutter neighborhood? Who's got the best neighbors? Who doesn't know their neighbors at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 02:07 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esnox82 View Post
Lets hear from all of you in the master planned communities in the East Valley.... does your community have a "small town/neighborhood" feel to it... or just another cookie cutter neighborhood? Who's got the best neighbors? Who doesn't know their neighbors at all?
In the east valley, I highly recommend Agritopia in Gilbert. However, some of the planned features make it unattractive to some people. For instance, it was designed with rather narrow streets and shallow front yards to encourage walking and getting to know your neighbors. Most houses have generous front porches, but are on relatively small lots. Backyards have lower fences rather than the common AZ tall block privacy walls. The garages in most of Agritopia are set back behind the houses, unlike most housing developments.

At the center of Agritopia is an urban farm, which grows organic produce (kind of a patchwork of crops with pathways for walking). There's also a coffee shop, a farm grill (featured on the Food Network), an orchard, and a greenbelt. My husband and I loved living there.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
In the east valley, I highly recommend Agritopia in Gilbert. However, some of the planned features make it unattractive to some people. For instance, it was designed with rather narrow streets and shallow front yards to encourage walking and getting to know your neighbors. Most houses have generous front porches, but are on relatively small lots. Backyards have lower fences rather than the common AZ tall block privacy walls. The garages in most of Agritopia are set back behind the houses, unlike most housing developments.

At the center of Agritopia is an urban farm, which grows organic produce (kind of a patchwork of crops with pathways for walking). There's also a coffee shop, a farm grill (featured on the Food Network), an orchard, and a greenbelt. My husband and I loved living there.
I've never been there, but I'm willing to bet that's the only "master planned community" in the East Valley that has that feel. Master planned community is often just another way of saying "cookie cutter neighborhood" that may have a park or a walking path or an artificial water feature, or some combination of those.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I've never been there, but I'm willing to bet that's the only "master planned community" in the East Valley that has that feel. Master planned community is often just another way of saying "cookie cutter neighborhood" that may have a park or a walking path or an artificial water feature, or some combination of those.
I think you're correct. Love it or hate it, I think Agritopia is unique in the Phoenix metro area.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 PM

240 posts, read 837,895 times
Don't forget about Dobson Ranch in Mesa.

YouTube - Dobson Ranch Real Estate in Mesa Arizona
(after minute two is an ad, not mine, so stop there if you want)

We have three community centers, four pools, a kiddie splash pad, several tennis courts, basketball and volleyball courts, a community garden, a rose garden, lakes, trails, classes, clubs, and community events such as movies in the park, wine tasting, and star gazing.

Cookie cutter wouldn't be a phrase I'd use to describe Dobson Ranch. We are a friendly bunch of people, and our schools are reportedly decent.Visit http://www.dobsonranchhoa.com/ for more information.

Other east valley master planned communities include...
  • Las Sendas
  • Mountain Bridge
  • Ocotillo
  • Power Ranch
  • Val Vista Lakes
  • ... and others

Old 09-23-2010, 06:43 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone! Since I'm moving on my own I won't know another person, so it would be nice to end up in a community in which the residents actually interact with one another...

I drove by Agritopia, and viewed some of the houses online... unique certainly comes to mind... a cool concept, but really made me say WTH is that??? I couldn't believe the masses of people pouring into the grill that day... certainly made me want to stop and check it out!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 PM

18 posts, read 42,734 times
Why don't you try North Phoenix in the Norterra area? I just bought a new home there and it's great. The area is within a few hundred feet of a mountain preserve so you can go hiking, has a new 17,000 sq. foot community center w/ gym, indoor rock climbing, tennis and basketball courts, jacuzzi, lap pool, kids pool, playground, and you get discounts off Harkins movie tickets and Diamondback games if you live in the community. It's also safer since it's a newer neighborhood and you need a resident ID card to get into the community center. Here's a picture of the area:

Old 09-23-2010, 07:39 PM

I have nothing against North Phoenix, however, I'll am currently self-employed, and I feel the business I'll be opening will be most successful in the S. Chandler/S. Gilbert area of the Valley. With the growth along the Price Corridor and the business coming that way I think its the best fit for me.

With that said, I will be coming to stay in the Valley for a month or so before I make any final decisions... that will give me plenty of time to explore the communities to the north of Phoenix as well.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esnox82 View Post
Thanks for all the info everyone! Since I'm moving on my own I won't know another person, so it would be nice to end up in a community in which the residents actually interact with one another...

I drove by Agritopia, and viewed some of the houses online... unique certainly comes to mind... a cool concept, but really made me say WTH is that??? I couldn't believe the masses of people pouring into the grill that day... certainly made me want to stop and check it out!
The Farm Grill's tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area